Your pickup combinations.

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24204
    Bowks said:
    Love the DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge with a Fast Track 1 or HS3 in the neck 
    I've got the TZ in my Caparison, and it's an over compressed pile of arse.

Ive got an Air Norton I'm going to try instead. When I get round to it. Probably in 2018.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    Bowks said:
    Love the DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge with a Fast Track 1 or HS3 in the neck 

Ive got an Air Norton I'm going to try instead. When I get round to it. Probably in 2018.
    The air norton sounds exactly like a JB to my ears but maybe a tad less powerful.  It's a nice bridge pickup 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HalikusHalikus Frets: 59
    Bowks said:

I found tone zone to be rather sensitive to pickup height,  certainly got rid of a lot of the boominess and compression in my RG when i dropped it a few mm.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    TTBZ said:
    Position 2 & 4 sound horrible. Such a cheesy nasty sound.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    octatonic said:
    TTBZ said:
    Position 2 & 4 sound horrible. Such a cheesy nasty sound.

Excellent example.

I love his playing but wish he'd stray away from 'that' sound. Sadly, Mark spawned a gazillion imitators in the 80s and 90s, who murdered his music in working man's clubs up and down the country - at one time all you saw were fat, balding men playing red Strats (often with too much chorus) into silverface Fender amps, almost playing Dire Straits songs... often with a flatpick. Its no wonder that I still have a 'problem' with red Strats and silverface Fender amps... even though I know they *can* and do sound epic in the right hands. (Yes, I know MK didn't use silverface - the murders did though).

Telegraph Road is a masterpiece (probably my fave DS track), with a dreadful guitar tone IMHO - imagine how that would sound played on a Tele bridge pickup with the same control over the tone control as he has over the volume? All those little ghost clicks and pulls of the end solo would just sound so much better.

But hey, if we all liked the same things...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    It's news to me that some people hate the bridge/middle pickup combination on a Strat - one of my favourite tones.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    I think that proves my point quote nicely. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360

What is the best bridge humbucker & neck single coil you have tried?

Easily the best bridge humbucker I've ever used is the SD Screamin' Demon. Don't let the name fool you, it is a wonderfully versatile and dynamic pickup.

As for neck single coil, it'll be the one in the David Gilmour Custom Shop Strat replica thingy I played a while back. I couldn't tell you the model but a quick internet trawl should find it or @gassage will probably know straight away. Without doubt the best neck pickup I've ever heard.

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    cbilly22 said:

Easily the best bridge humbucker I've ever used is the SD Screamin' Demon. Don't let the name fool you, it is a wonderfully versatile and dynamic pickup.

As for neck single coil, it'll be the one in the David Gilmour Custom Shop Strat replica thingy I played a while back. I couldn't tell you the model but a quick internet trawl should find it or @gassage will probably know straight away. Without doubt the best neck pickup I've ever heard.

I seem to remember Gassy (or someone else on here) had a special order for DG single coils. Might have been a couple of years ago.

How did it compare to the SSL-5?
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I've a Duncan '59 neck pickup I bought used that sounds absolutely fantastic in every guitar I've ever put it in. Ducking for cover, I've a Gibson Burstbucker 2 in the bridge of my SG which is pretty great too.
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    Elwood said:
    cbilly22 said:

I seem to remember Gassy (or someone else on here) had a special order for DG single coils. Might have been a couple of years ago.

How did it compare to the SSL-5?

Couldn't say with any certainty but I will say that I enjoyed playing the guitar using that sound for so long that my girlfriend wandered over the road to get a cuppa and I didn't notice!!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31525
    Oil City Cow-R-Tron at the bridge, Mojo Gold Foil at the neck is pretty awesome, warm, lively, twangy, whatever your mood. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Brize said:
    It's news to me that some people hate the bridge/middle pickup combination on a Strat - one of my favourite tones.
    It's a 'trendy' thing to dislike and a way of demonstrating how 'edgy' and 'cool' you are.

No one ever says 'that Les Paul bridge pick-up sound really annoys me - it's so over-used'....

I can't really think of any classic guitar tones which I particularly dislike - just those which don't neccessarily work for me as a player.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Brize said:
    It's a 'trendy' thing to dislike and a way of demonstrating how 'edgy' and 'cool' you are.

No one ever says 'that Les Paul bridge pick-up sound really annoys me - it's so over-used'....

I can't really think of any classic guitar tones which I particularly dislike - just those which don't neccessarily work for me as a player.
    TRENDY?

FFS - I'm not 'edgy' or 'cool'. At 46, I've long since given up any hope of ever being either of those adjectives!!

Nope, I just don't like the sound - and never had, yet I love Strats.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    octatonic said:
    My mail guitar has a Suhr SSV+ humbcuker in the bridge and a Suhr ML neck pickup.
    Do keep us posted....
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    The DG neck pup is the 69Fat CS.

if you want the SSl1C-DG then www.stratcat.biz is the only place that stocks them and they're well worth it. I've got one in my 1960 strat at the moment

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    edited January 2017
    Pair of BKP Holy Divers with ceramic magnets. Lovely lovely.

Bill Lawrence L500XL + Duncan 59

Also love the EMG81+60 set. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937

Erm... no it isn't, you've just made that up. I'm 41 and have no pretensions to trying to be 'trendy', 'edgy' or 'cool', I just don't and have never liked that sound. Funny thing most non-Fender players (Gibson, Hagstrom, PRS players) I've spoken to name the bridge/middle position as the first thing they don't like about Strats, or maybe they're all just trying to be trendy :s?
    Gassage said:

if you want the SSl1C-DG then www.stratcat.biz is the only place that stocks them and they're well worth it. I've got one in my 1960 strat at the moment
    Does it have the same backwards wiring that the SSL5 has? I loved the SSL5 but was annoyed that each time the strings touched the polepieces it cut the output of the guitar...

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    impmann said:
    Gassage said:

Does it have the same backwards wiring that the SSL5 has? I loved the SSL5 but was annoyed that each time the strings touched the polepieces it cut the output of the guitar...
    I'd say the pickup is set too high if the strings are making contact with it, or am I reading that wrong?