Your pickup combinations.

What's Hot

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    TTBZ said:
    Position 2 & 4 sound horrible. Such a cheesy nasty sound.

I'm really enjoying my Axesrus pickups - neck Late 50s P90 and bridge Purist humbucker. Really versatile and in this instance they sound better than any other pickups I've had in there including Bare Knuckle (Mules and black dogs). I was half expecting them to be rubbish for some reason but they're still hand wound pickups at a reasonable price. I'd say the Purist is like a Mule but a bit hotter and less "blank canvas" sounding if that makes any sense. 
    Yep, I'm a fan of Axesrus pickups, great bang for buck. The 50s Daddy'O set sound better than standard Alnicos in the 50s Classic Strat to me. I've also got a great sounding set of their Humbucker sized P90s in a Jazzmaster
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Octafish said:
    impmann said:
    Gassage said:
    The DG neck pup is the 69Fat CS.

if you want the SSl1C-DG then www.stratcat.biz is the only place that stocks them and they're well worth it. I've got one in my 1960 strat at the moment
    Does it have the same backwards wiring that the SSL5 has? I loved the SSL5 but was annoyed that each time the strings touched the polepieces it cut the output of the guitar...
    I'd say the pickup is set too high if the strings are making contact with it, or am I reading that wrong?
    No - I have a heavy right hand technique! :-)

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    Gassage said:

if you want the SSl1C-DG then www.stratcat.biz is the only place that stocks them and they're well worth it. I've got one in my 1960 strat at the moment

I'm sure I saw a brief interview on Youtube with DG where he said he actually preferred the neck pickup in the replica to the one in his original black Strat. I may have imagined that but it seems to ring a bell.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Can't believe people diss strat 2 & 4. Awesome sounds. The one I rarely use is middle only, the beige of strat sounds.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    cbilly22 said:
    Gassage said:

I'm sure I saw a brief interview on Youtube with DG where he said he actually preferred the neck pickup in the replica to the one in his original black Strat. I may have imagined that but it seems to ring a bell.

I remember that too...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31584
    impmann said:
    Brize said:
    It's news to me that some people hate the bridge/middle pickup combination on a Strat - one of my favourite tones.
    It's a 'trendy' thing to dislike and a way of demonstrating how 'edgy' and 'cool' you are.

No one ever says 'that Les Paul bridge pick-up sound really annoys me - it's so over-used'....

I can't really think of any classic guitar tones which I particularly dislike - just those which don't neccessarily work for me as a player.
    TRENDY?

FFS - I'm not 'edgy' or 'cool'. At 46, I've long since given up any hope of ever being either of those adjectives!!

Nope, I just don't like the sound - and never had, yet I love Strats.
    I feel exactly the same, I'm 52 and have been playing Strats since the 70s, all of them, including my latest build, with a 3-way switch. 

Im convinced that a lot of the reason people say the Strat bridge pickup is too bright is because they've dialled their amps in to do the "quack" thing on 2 and 4.

Ignore those sounds totally and it's easy to get a big, fat, Blackmore-type bridge pickup tone.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30899
    impmann said:
    Gassage said:

Does it have the same backwards wiring that the SSL5 has? I loved the SSL5 but was annoyed that each time the strings touched the polepieces it cut the output of the guitar...
    You can order either way. I really recommend this pickup. It's got a tad of grit in it.

Steve Mac from Aussie Floyd uses it

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28153
    I really like the Kent Armstrong Sky lipstick in the neck position.

I think my favourite bridge 'bucker thus far is the SD Custom 5.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • MotorhateMotorhate Frets: 238
    Best for me is the Bareknuckle War Pig bridge and Irongear Hot Slag in the neck which I have on my Mockingbird. BN War Pig and SD 59 on my USA Washburn Idol also sounds really good although, I could quite easily go without using a neck pickup altogether as I rarely use them. I’d go one further and dump the tone controls too as they’re always on the treble side.
    I’d say my ideal guitar pickup config would be one bridge humbucker and one volume control or even just a kill switch. I may just convert some of my axes to this config.

Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    octatonic said:
    My mail guitar has a Suhr SSV+ humbcuker in the bridge and a Suhr ML neck pickup.
    Do keep us posted....
    Predictive testicle strikes Agincourt!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Gassage said:

Never come across a 69FatCS, I assume it's hotter version of the CS69 pickup? can it be bought separately?
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    The set that blows me away every time I pick up the guitar is a calibrated set of BKP VHII's in my Charvel - but I think that's as much to do with the awesome replacement neck/ebony board on that guitar.  And my playing, obviously...
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    EMG 81 and EMG 81 on a super-strat. The ultimate combination for anything :)

Plus you can go all true bypass with no tone suck. That alone will make them sound better than most passives out there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JoesaJoesa Frets: 86
    Best all round set for me are the SD Pearly Gates Plus/Texas Special combo on my Fat Strat Texas Special Strat. Hendrix, Floyd, G&R. You name it, they can do it.
  • BenBen Frets: 114
    For years now my go-to bridge pickup has always been the Tremonti Treble from PRS. I've switched around many neck pickups, but bridge-wise, that one just slays every time!
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Lace Sensor Blue in a Strat neck, Twisted Tele in a tele neck.

I've got stock Gibson Classic 57s in Gibson ES 335, 336, 446 and 175, and to my ears each one sounds perfect for that guitar.  Which means they either vary dramatically or they just sound good.
  • MotorhateMotorhate Frets: 238
    MrBump said:
    The set that blows me away every time I pick up the guitar is a calibrated set of BKP VHII's in my Charvel - but I think that's as much to do with the awesome replacement neck/ebony board on that guitar.  And my playing, obviously...
    I'm not a fan of the EMG81 / 85 setup. I've got them in my ESP Viper and they just sound bland to me. The SD Blackouts blow them away IMO for output, headroom and tone.
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

• GassageGassage Frets: 30899
    This is the precise pup in the Black Strat bridge.

http://www.stratcat.biz/ssl-1c-dg.shtml

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    edited January 2017
    Gassage said:
    This is the precise pup in the Black Strat bridge.

http://www.stratcat.biz/ssl-1c-dg.shtml

Should I get another Strat in the near future (and with my Birthday looming in two weeks it's a distinct possibility) I might be hard pressed not to get one of the neck ones. It really was the most fantastic sounding pickup.
  • Worst combo was SD Invader bridge abs '59 neck in a Les Paul.
    Yes yes I know, but I was just trying something ok?  
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom