Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

FX loops are wasted on me.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Delay and reverb post high gain for me (so if using amp distortion I'd use a loop).  Though sometimes running them into the distortion creates a great soundscape.

Everything else I prefer infront of the amp.  Especailly chorus/phaser/vibe etc.  I just prefer a more lofi vibe with effects and I love how running modulation into distortion affects how the distortion reacts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    Needs to be in the loop for me, but I use a pretty heavy sound. It's not a huge amount of gain, but the tone is really aggressive and having delay or verb in front basically takes that away.

I've recently been playing chorus-type big power chords and inversions with a single fast repeat on the delay, and it's making it sound huge. In front, it just sounds muddy.
    what sort of delay times?  I'm using one of about 80ms (i think) for a slap echo but that is on walk this way for the main solo
  • Im currently thinking about ditching the loop for my sounds as well. No matter how much tweaking I put in for send/return volumes I cant get the loop to be transparent enough.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • d8md8m Frets: 2431
    My amp doesn't have one.

But even when I had an amp that did I always ran every effect in the front of the amp rather than the loop.

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Unite brothers, there are many of us!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    I look at it in simple terms. This went into the front end of a vintage amp. So why can't mine?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You probably know this anyway, but those 2 Strymons you mentioned in the OP are to be used on the Line Level setting of an FX Loop and it might make a big difference whether you have a Series or Parallel loop (or which setting you have the loop on if it has both).

It was tough learning how to use my FX Loop and I tried my 2 Strymons (Ola and El Cap) on various settings and got a wide range of results. In the end, I use them at Line Level and on the Parallel setting, they really did sound terrrible and washy on the Series setting, It's a while back, I can't remember all the trials and tribulations, but I did get some headaches. They sound fine through the loop on this setting though.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • No loop for me either. Shove it all into the front of the amp!
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    The last time I did some experimenting I found that delay was a tiny bit clearer in the loop, but not enough for me to be bothered to run 2 extra cables to my amp. Since then I've not even tried the loop for anything as I spend too much time setting up and packing up as it is!
  • nickp;142629" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Needs to be in the loop for me, but I use a pretty heavy sound. It's not a huge amount of gain, but the tone is really aggressive and having delay or verb in front basically takes that away.

I've recently been playing chorus-type big power chords and inversions with a single fast repeat on the delay, and it's making it sound huge. In front, it just sounds muddy.

what sort of delay times?  I'm using one of about 80ms (i think) for a slap echo but that is on walk this way for the main solo
    Truth be told I'm not sure. It's fast though - my delay goes down to 20ms and I found a nice sound not much slower. For a randy Rhodes idea, it'd need to be a wee bit slower yet, though I think he double tracked rather than used a pedal.
  • Got to be a loop for me as I use a high gain amp and like to use that pre-amp gain.

• Everything in front...I have 3 amps and none of them have a loop. When I did have amps with one the effects still went in front
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited January 2014
    Delays have to be in the loop for me! They sound a bit avant garde out front!
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    Whack it all up front. Can't be arsed with more cables to fall over at the end of the night..
  • Ive never used my loop. I like to stack modulation pedals into front end for maximum wooshy wobbliness