THD Univalve

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I had a C7, C15, Pre-1224 28 watter, PGT, GT120, King Street, Series 2000 and probably some I've forgotten :) good amps but I don't miss them; the QC was variable latterly and I think my ear was very different to Dave Green's when he was there. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited January 2017
    MtB said:
    I sold my C7 after a couple of years, only to move on to a 1224Mk2 a further couple of years down the line. 
    I too had a 1224, a mk1...dressed up to look like a Series 2000. I sold both the C7 and the 1224 to go down the Matchless route. In hindsight, I wish I'd have kept hold of the 1224...not to say there was anything wrong with what came after, far from it...just that I had a real soft spot for the Matamp, that became softer after it left. 

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee299/williams123_photo/DSCF0231.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee299/williams123_photo/DSCF0432-1.jpg
    My series 2000 set came with one of those old style cabs, possibly one of the worst cabs i've had Matamp initially promised they'd be ply with special Celestion speakers, in the end they were particle board with Hot 100s. I believe the particle board was vintage-authentic so that can get a pass but the Hot 100s dont. Almost as bad as the unusable reverb unit it came with! :) The amp though was a cracker - my favourite of all the Matamp's i've had.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mine was ply, I watched it being made. I chose a Greenback and an Anniversary, the cab sounded fantastic. I had no idea they were using cardboard for the S2000 rigs. As to Hot 100's the least said about them the better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    My c7 cab came with a hot 100 in it. I think it was their default speaker - to keep the pairing cost low. Mine were £728 for Amp + cab.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    I don't think the Hot 100 is a bad speaker - it's just not a great one either. To me it sounds quite like a less characterful Greenback, but with a usefully high power rating... although I don't think it's a true 100W, by Celestion standards - more like 75. I've seen a couple blown in solid-state amps. But it's better than the Seventy/80, anyway.

On the other hand now there's the Creamback G12M-65, there's less point in it (other than cost).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    I had a Univalve, fitted it with KT88s and it was awesome tbh. Regret selling it, would buy another but the bivalve version.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I tried endless valves in mine, old Mullards, GE's, all sorts. Even had a pair of Yellow Jackets so it could take el84's. As ICBM said above, it just sounded various shades of lame no matter what I tried. It did look quite good on the shelf though. I replaced it with a little Mesa TA15 which was a glorious little thing.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    daveyh said:
    I had a Univalve, fitted it with KT88s and it was awesome tbh. Regret selling it, would buy another but the bivalve version.
    Ahem... http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/75081/thd-bivalve-30-now-with-trade-options (just a reminder!)

• I'm with @daveyh I like KT88s in mine.

@simonk what speaker(s) were you using with yours? I do prefer to run mine with the THD cab.

Sounds like the Uni was just not your thing though...anyway you're safe as they don't make them anymore, no need for the cold sweats and recurring nightmares...unless you find another one hidden under your bed ;-)
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I'm with @daveyh I like KT88s in mine.

@simonk what speaker(s) were you using with yours? I do prefer to run mine with the THD cab.

Sounds like the Uni was just not your thing though...anyway you're safe as they don't make them anymore, no need for the cold sweats and recurring nightmares...unless you find another one hidden under your bed ;-)
    Admittedly I never tried it with a THD cab. Used a Zilla 1x12 Vintage 30, Zilla 2x12 Creambacks and a Mesa 1x12 Blackshadow. 
  • Sounds like you did your best to love it!

My second choice for mine is Creambacks, not so much with anything that accentuates treble as the amp is very trebly as it is. The THD cab I have does warm it up somewhat but those were expensive when new...
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I bought one in 2003 and still have it.

I love mine. Pop in a couple of decent ECC83s and either a 6V6 or EL34 and it sounds great through a 4x12 (or the old 4x10 I used to have).

Not massively versatile or fully-featured, no, but some great tones in there nonetheless. High quality construction, too.

As @FreddieVanHalen said, one wonders if today's fave amps will be so chastised in another decade or two? These did indeed receive rave reviews back then (as did Cornfords) yet there seems little love for them now.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • I loved my Univalve - gigged with it for 5 years through THD 2x12. Played in three piece band playing indie rock. Just used guitar volume, no pedals - sounded great! Never tried switching valves, found the Hot Plate attenuator a bit scratchy but switched it off! Would def own another for that kind of sound, along with THD 2x12.