Terry Morgan 59 Reissue

What's Hot

Comments

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited January 2017
    Haven't read all of this but I'd buy one in a shot if it was better than what Gibson can reproduce themselves.

I assume it's not a Braz board then?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    p90fool said:
    Ossyrocks said:
    p90fool said:
    Some get it some don't, simples

One things for sure gibson can't make one as good as a hand made one
    Ooh I dunno, at least they remember the fret nibs, unlike the Chibson pictured above.
    ;)
    The one pictured above is a replica of the John Squire / Richie Sambora burst. It was commissioned by the owner to replicate every detail, including the fact that it had been refretted and lost the knibs. Knock a quid off if you like.
    Er, it was a joke, hence the winky smiley face thing...
    There's nothing funny about these 59 Bursts. It's a deadly serious subject as these 7 pages can attest.
     =) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    the problem with them having Gibson on the headstock is when they are re-sold by the original buyer and so on down the line.
    If there's no way of knowing if it's a legit Gibson or not then people are at risk of paying well over the odds which is not cool.
    Personally I have no issue with the Gil Yaron approach where his name is on the headstock so there;s no possibility of confusion about what you are buying.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    It's gonna need a solid back story if someone is spending 7 grand 
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494

Here is a real '59 and one of mine

I'd take yours any day.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    andyoz said:
    Haven't read all of this but I'd buy one in a shot if it was better than what Gibson can reproduce themselves.

Its all the right woods of the right age, so brazilian boards are present and correct . :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    tFB Trader
    stuagu said:
    andyoz said:

Its all the right woods of the right age, so brazilian boards are present and correct . :) 
    Andy - are you asking about all TM 59's or mine specifically - I can confirm that mine has a Brz rosewood fingerboard and South American mahogany body/neck - 2/3 others I have seen in the past are likewise - Can't account for that as an overview but suspect it is the case otherwise it loses instantly its USP and/or mjo - maybe other TM owners can chip in
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited January 2017
    Ok, I read a description on one of the shops that had one and they didn't mention Braz fretboard so assumed it wasn't ..
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    Old Braz boards do come up, I just bought another 3 no problem, they just cost more

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    stuagu said:
    Im a bit if traditionalist but man thats a damn fine looking blue guitar 
    Owned by someone on this fine forum...
    The other guitar is Peter Green/Gary Moore 's before it went off to Kirk Hammett

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4668
    Ossyrocks said:
    Maybe what this thread needs is some pics!

Sweet Baby Jesus that is superb, replica or not that is stunning 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3620
    the problem with them having Gibson on the headstock is when they are re-sold by the original buyer and so on down the line.
    If there's no way of knowing if it's a legit Gibson or not then people are at risk of paying well over the odds which is not cool.
    Personally I have no issue with the Gil Yaron approach where his name is on the headstock so there;s no possibility of confusion about what you are buying.
    That's the honest way obviously.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7021
    tFB Trader
    Neil said:
    That's the honest way obviously.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there were someone, somewhere offering Gil Yaron to "Gibson" headstock conversions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I think they should have some sort of mark that positively identifies them as a replica of a Gibson. Something like maybe a small hologram on the back of the neck nearest the headstock.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    It woukd be really easy to put a routing in the control cavity to make it clear its not a Gibson, if Terry wanted to.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Ossyrocks said:
    Maybe what this thread needs is some pics!

Sweet Baby Jesus that is superb, replica or not that is stunning 
    Cheers, it is an amazing guitar.

Rob
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    agreed it looks amazing, excellent photography too

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    stuagu said:
    The other guitar is Peter Green/Gary Moore 's before it went off to Kirk Hammett
    Great picture Jonathan, how did you get your hands on probably one of the most famous guitars? Did you do any work on it?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    BigMonka said:
    stuagu said:
    Great picture Jonathan, how did you get your hands on probably one of the most famous guitars? Did you do any work on it?
    Phil Harris who was looking after the guitar till it sold to Kirk is local to me and came in with it as he was looking for a set of non-locking Sperzel tuners that match the ones on Gary's guitar for an article he was prepping for Guitar and Bass magazine, and we had some that may have been a good match.
    So we spent a nice afternoon with Phil and the guitar and got to take some pics of her.

An amazing number of pour customers have expressed regret that they didn't come in to us on the same day.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    tFB Trader
    Phil Harris who was looking after the guitar till it sold to Kirk is local to me and came in with it as he was looking for a set of non-locking Sperzel tuners that match the ones on Gary's guitar for an article he was prepping for Guitar and Bass magazine, and we had some that may have been a good match.
    So we spent a nice afternoon with Phil and the guitar and got to take some pics of her.

An amazing number of pour customers have expressed regret that they didn't come in to us on the same day.
    I spent about 15 mins with it with Phil Harris - interesting to what you thought about it as a guitar to play - I found it not 'user friendly' if that is the right phrase - I think whatever magic GM saw in it, doesn't mean we'll all like the same feel