Vox Cambridge 30 reverb cutting out?

robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
On CH2 with the volume at bedroom levels the amp cuts in and out or goes quiet , I have to strum really hard and it will cut in again, is this an output transistor on its way out? It hasn't done it on CH1 yet.
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    If it only does it on channel 2 it's nothing to do with the output section.

It sounds like a cracked solder joint somewhere in channel 2 or a bad contact in the channel switch itself.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
    If its a dry solder joint why does strumming quite hard (I usually strum softly) bring it back to life?

The next time it happens (it doesn't happen all the time) I will tap the amp to see if it changes things.

Could the tube pins be corroded/dirty and causing this?
    Just to add, the amp is turned quite low and the guitar volume is also turned down.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    Does the tremolo work ok?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    robgilmo said:
    If its a dry solder joint why does strumming quite hard (I usually strum softly) bring it back to life?
    Because the higher signal level will cause a tiny arc across the crack which will burn through the oxide layer that has formed, and it will make a connection for a while.

robgilmo said:

Could the tube pins be corroded/dirty and causing this?
    Possibly, if the valve is only used on channel 2 - I can't remember. Easy to find out - remove the valve and see if channel 1 still works.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Tremolo still works fine so I don't think its Cambridgeitus, Ive just been playing it for a while now and its been fine. One thing I did notice is it is hard to get any distortion out of it , usually CH2 with gain boost and mid boost will distort with the gain up and volume down, when it was cutting out it just sounded clean, now this past while that it hasn't been cutting out its been distorting quite well.

If I get a chance this week end Ill pull it apart and look for a dry solder joint and clean up the pins on the tube, from what I gather the tube only works on CH2.