Marc Ribot

What's Hot
wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
Late to the party as always, But i've only just discovered this guy. As I've been listening to some more  Tom waits stuff. Rain dogs etc. Can anyone suggest any other projects/solo albums featuring Mr Ribot. Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm a big admirer. He's involved in some really "out" stuff with John Zorn and the like (I've seen him play with Zorn and it worked well live). But that stuff certainly isn't for everybody and I'll admit that nowadays it's a bit too discordant/random for me in most moods. 

For more accessible solo Ribot I think the obvious starting point is Marc Ribot Y Los Cubanos Postizos.  Absolutely wonderful album, original, astringent, very beautiful. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited January 2017

Check out Marc Ribot's Ceramic Dog ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    Duly wowed @Fretwired. Ceramic dog is awesome sauce.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Agreed on the Cuban stuff, its great. His solo albums are generally too out there for my taste. 

If you like Ribot you should absolutely check out Jim Campilongo's Heaven is Creepy album.
  • I had a cassette of him playing solo guitar that I really liked when I was in an intense classical phase, I think it was "Marc Ribot Plays Solo Guitar Works of Frantz Casseus"  and seem to recall him playing with one of those "out there" bands but can't recall which one right now, I do remember some of the music was kind of Frank Zappa meets the Lounge Lizards.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• matdotcodotmatdotcodot Frets: 179
    edited January 2017

+1 on his classical covers of his friend and mentor Frantz Casseus. Really enjoy hearing the nylon string side of different guitarists.

If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

• BasherBasher Frets: 1204
    A big +1 on the two Los Cubanos Postizos albums - fantastic music all round.
    I must confess that some of his stuff is a bit too avant-garde/out-there for me.
    Loved the Ceramic Dog! I'll have to check that out properly.

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6673
    I've been a fan for some time and only seen him playing live one time. That was in St Petersburg back in 2002 with Marc Ribot Y Los Cubanos Postizos. Great gig! 
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    He did some great stuff with the God of Songwriting, Elvis Costello