NGD UPDATE! Yamaha SA503 TVL - used prices??

What's Hot
jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
edited January 2017 in Guitar
Hi all! Niche question - I used to have one of these but regrettably sold it a few years back. I'd really like another but one pricing is difficult with something so rare yet inexpensive. I sold mine with hard case for £450 about 5 years ago - still a sensible price? I've also got an sa500 that regularly got for under £200 nowadays, is this even a consideration? 

Apologies if this is of little interest , search function only popped up a couple of results on the forum and they're rare on eBay... might be a long wait!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    They've went up since then. If you got a mint one in a case for under £600 you'd be doing alright.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I wouldn't sell mine, it took me bloody ages to get one! ;)
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    It might not be there anymore but there was one kicking about in Yamaha Music London. Give them a shout. Can't remember how much it was. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    edited October 2017
    It's ok guys, I got super lucky - checked Preloved for the first time in forever, one in immaculate condition about 30 mins away from me with a case - just picked it up. Pics coming...
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's ok guys, I got super lucky - checked Preloved for the first time in forever, one in immaculate condition about 30 mins away from me with a case - just picked it up. £425 ain't shabby! Pics coming...
    That's a great price!
  • https://s23.postimg.org/751yyg1e3/IMG_3262.jpg

Last picture of the beaut with her brother - I bloody love these Yamahas, I've never played a semi that wasn't £2k or more that was as nice! 

Shes in perfect condition barely played from new. Got the price down from £475. Kinsman case is basically new too. Desperately needs new strings but otherwise fantastic shape. I had forgotten how much I liked p90s too! Got quite a growl to it and some great jangle. Sounds noticeably different acoustically to my SA500 - different woods as well as tailpiece? Anyway need to get used to the two-switch thing. The guy selling it had played it so little he still hadn't cracked it. 

An hour of playing later and ive learnt my lesson - good guitars aren't worth selling!!
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    What's the neck like on these?
  • Adam_MD said:
    What's the neck like on these?
    Quite thick, like a Gibson 50s. The TVL feels a bit slimmer and narrower than the SA500 but that might be down to (what I assume to be) 10s on the TVL and 12s on my SA500. 

A good palmful regardless - with lighter strings either plays quickly (even for a semi)
    Nice one @jellybelly and you got it in the correct colour too.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    Yeah, great guitars. Love my one. 

I just twiddle the switches till I find a sound I like, never bother actually looking at them...

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• DiscoStu said:
    Absolutely! I've seen very few black ones about though, I think they're perhaps even more rare (if not as sought after!)
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    I had one and liked it. It sounded great!

Loved the 3 pickups and getting all the combinations the switching is far easier to use than it is to explain: IIRC one was a standard 3 way and the other brings the middle pickup in, out or soloed (although it was a few years ago so I might be a bit out with that).
    Wonderful neck too - a nice, 1950s handful without the comedy proportions of some of the Gibson historics.
    As usual with Yamaha, it played wonderfully well.
    Looked fantastic too.

Only downside for me was the weight, although it wasn't as bad as some of them. Mine was around 9lb (no heavier than many ES345/355 guitars) possibly due to the oversized centre block, which seemed bigger than the one in a typical ES335.

I'd love this combination of features as a fully hollow/soundpost design!

Currently have an SA2200, so there's a connection of sorts. Love the weight (8lb) but wish it was a bit less blingy - more in line with the 503.

Yamaha used to do some nice, occasionally quirky semis and hollowbodies but they seem to have scaled that side of things back, which is sad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    DiscoStu said:
    Absolutely! I've seen very few black ones about though, I think they're perhaps even more rare (if not as sought after!)
    It doesn't work in black for me. The Oxblood is to die for.
    @basher it's no heavier than some of my other guitars. 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Aww nice one man. Always wanted one of them but never managed to snag one. Enjoy. :)
  • Basher said:
    I had one and liked it. It sounded great!

Loved the 3 pickups and getting all the combinations the switching is far easier to use than it is to explain: IIRC one was a standard 3 way and the other brings the middle pickup in, out or soloed (although it was a few years ago so I might be a bit out with that).
    Wonderful neck too - a nice, 1950s handful without the comedy proportions of some of the Gibson historics.
    As usual with Yamaha, it played wonderfully well.
    Looked fantastic too.

Only downside for me was the weight, although it wasn't as bad as some of them. Mine was around 9lb (no heavier than many ES345/355 guitars) possibly due to the oversized centre block, which seemed bigger than the one in a typical ES335.

I'd love this combination of features as a fully hollow/soundpost design!

Currently have an SA2200, so there's a connection of sorts. Love the weight (8lb) but wish it was a bit less blingy - more in line with the 503.

Yamaha used to do some nice, occasionally quirky semis and hollowbodies but they seem to have scaled that side of things back, which is sad.
    I agree mate, much easier to work the controls in reality than on paper! I agree it's relatively heavy but no more than a Les Paul not an issue while I'm youngish and slimish. As I get older and less healthy it might become an issue... 
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    edited January 2017
    @basher @DiscoStu @stonevibe and any other owners or previous owners - have you guys tried roller bridges with these? I'm a proper novice when it comes to Bigsbys! I remember having problems with my SA500 and a new Tuneomatic as it was too tall for a good action, the original Yamaha bridge is quite low profile...
    I have the stock bridge in mine and haven't had any problems.
  • DiscoStu said:
    I have the stock bridge in mine and haven't had any problems.
    Yeah it's not too bad actually, but not quite as stable as my Fender offsets in terms of returning to pitch. New strings will tell if it's needed or not!
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    @basher @DiscoStu @stonevibe and any other owners or previous owners - have you guys tried roller bridges with these? I'm a proper novice when it comes to Bigsbys! I remember having problems with my SA500 and a new Tuneomatic as it was too tall for a good action, the original Yamaha bridge is quite low profile...
    I have a roller bridge on mine made by Schaller I believe, though I have the old one still and the box for the new roller one in the case, so could double check if you like.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    I fancied one too when they were in catalogue but I had just got a new cherry Gibson 335 and the only models were the red - I wanted the Black! Then they disappeared! Such a shame...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>