Fulltone OCD

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
How many are going to get bought off the back of the TPS guys last couple of shows? Sounding majestic. 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    La la la not listening!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Actually, I'm watching the "home setup" vid right now, and it's sold me on the THR. I've heard from loads of people that it's not great with pedals, but the sounds they're getting with the THR plus Dan's board are fantastic.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    It really would be quite low down the list of modellers for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It's a great, musical pedal into a clean channel. 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    Great pedal. Very versatile, works with a wide range of guitars/amps, cleans up nicely, stacks with other pedals really nicely. Good stuff. Love it for some grit on my Carr Rambler. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    Yeah, I bought one years ago, loved it, sold it because I thought I could get better and then bought it back two years later. 

Its my all time favourite drive pedal.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    Actually, I'm watching the "home setup" vid right now, and it's sold me on the THR. I've heard from loads of people that it's not great with pedals, but the sounds they're getting with the THR plus Dan's board are fantastic.
    Sounds great here with pedals!

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Dan alludes to the problem
    you *really*have to watch the top end. It gets very scratchy very quickly
    the other issue is that they are very sensitive to placement
    put on the floor then lift it onto a table
    it is like two different amps
    once you are aware of those things they are great practice amps
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    I really wasn't impressed by the THR I played. It sounded ok but just really plain. And it needed to be fairly loud to sound good imo, too loud for me to get away with at home without annoying the gf. I prefer my Blackstar Fly 3 :)
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited January 2017
    I've not tried an OCD yet but it sounds great in those latest TPS shows. I recall reading something about some potential issues with it connected to other pedals, something to do with output impedence or something. I may be wrong.

• The ocd always sounds okay when others use it (and I mean okay - it's a bit vanilla), but when I tried one it was unusably bright and harsh - and I like bright tones. 

It also made a huge pop when I switched it on and off. It was a brand new from the box one in a shop. 

Lots of people get pretty good sounds with them though! So it is, as ever, down to player, guitar and amp. I tried it into a fender drri as lots of players use them with this pedal. I think it would sound better into a Marshall or tweed bassman. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited January 2017

Re: the OCD, I don't know if that's down to specific versions, which have slight differences or are claimed by some to be better than others, but my OCD V4 has been on my board for a good many years and has blended and stacked well with all my pedalboard including my ODs (Keeley TS808, Xotic EP & Morgan OD) and all my past ones - Xotic's RC, AC & BB, Way Huge Pork Loin, Liquid Sunshine V.2, Catalinbread Formula 5FS, Hermida/Lovepedal Unimos.

Amp-wise, and it's always gone into the clean channel and set very clean, it's been great with a Fender Concert (Rivera-era), H&K Tubemeister 36, Fender DRRI, Carr Rambler and even a Roland Cube 60 (solid state) and currently loves my Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 whether in 6V6 or EL84 mode.

People who've heard mine, or my set up, and have previously not liked or got on with OCDs really liked it.

The only ones it didn't like were the Hermida Zendrive and a second OCD which I had set up on a very low gain (they actually sound pretty good in the lower gain registers, too). If you want to stack it, it's better to do it with a mid-humped pedal as the OCD has a slight scoop. I also prefer the HP side of it and for my stacking purposes, have the gain at 12 o'clock and the 808 at 9 o'clock. I've never tried it at the higher 18V as I've not had the power supply facility but that would be interesting.

My only issue with them is the switches and sockets, which I think are or were poor - I've had 3 repairs on mine and could probably do with nabbing a spare pedal just in case as it's integral to my overdriven sound.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom