A couple of interesting Jrs on EBay

What's Hot
IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6899
The same seller has these listed. Interesting to me as I wouldn't have a clue if that was a real vintage junior, and I've never heard of the custom builder before - but it looks a good effort.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/172475399053

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/172473895998

I'm not interested in buying either guitar - if the Dearnaley one was sunburst I might have took a punt though.
Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    They can't be fakes  Harry hasn't done a thread.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    Fretboard looks right on the vintage one.Dearnaley one looks nice too if it doesn`t get too pricey.........
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited January 2017 tFB Trader
    Another member here sent me a link to the refin last night.

The pictures are just vague and angled enough not to give a proper view of it...however, apart from the naff (IMO) refin, the board and inlays look original. I doubt its a '58, if it is it'll be a very early '58 as they went to the DC shape early that year.

It's had Shallers or Grovers on it at some point, the holes have been plugged so it's certainly coherent with a '50's Junior (this was a popular mod). I'd definitely want to see lots more pictures of cavities, pots and the P90 and really, i'd want to see it in person before handing over the loot.

The Delarney is what it is, a well respected builder, bet it's a great guitar :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    yeah, fretboard looks totally right.   that crazing is OTT though.    It makes me realise how harsh I am on myself when looking at my crazing attempts
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Either way it's a fack'n beauty.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    edited January 2017
    The colour on the back and sides is much too pale as well, it should be the same as the edges of the top. I don't have any reason to think it's not exactly as described though - singlecut '58s aren't that rare, the guitarist in my band had one up til last year.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited January 2017
    they are out there for sure. I've got a late 58 single cut that left the factory with a 59 serial number.
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    The colour on the back and sides is much too pale as well, it should be the same as the edges of the top. I don't have any reason to think it's not exactly as described though - singlecut '58s aren't that rare, the guitarist in my band had one up til last year.
    I'm not saying a '58 SC is rare, just that it would be early an '58 if so. A pal of mine has a TV Yellow '59 Single Cut, now that IS rare

But, as we all now, vintage Gibson's are a law unto themselves, I'm happy to be corrected as always :-)
    (formerly miserneil)
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    He's quite near me. I've got some bits for sale at the moment and if they go, I'll nip over and take a look. I can date the  pots I , but does anyone have any tips as to how to tell a genuine p90 and what do you have to look for in the cavities?
    cheers
    Will
    p.s. the finish looks awful- would have to budget for a re-fin! Would you do it sunburst, tv yellow or something really funky? sunburst i guess.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6899
    edited January 2017
    Yeah the finish and probable end price is enough to put me off. Oh and not forgetting the neck - I'd have to check with the dims on my other guitars but it seems a bit slim for me...

I like sunburst so would go for an authentic SB finish. Done well they look very good.

TV yellow is my next favourite colour.

If that replica he's also selling was SB or TV yellow I'd be very interested.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5012
    He's just added some pics of the pickup and cavity, they look genuine as far as I know but maybe @miserneil or one of the other experts can give a view.

I totally agree that a refin would be in order and if I could get it for a decent price that's what I'd do.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    He's just added some pics of the pickup and cavity, they look genuine as far as I know but maybe @miserneil or one of the other experts can give a view.

I totally agree that a refin would be in order and if I could get it for a decent price that's what I'd do.
    I emailed him and asked for them ;-)

Pots/cavity looks good, P90 is interesting, it's had a rewind or a repair or may not be a Gibson at all, not seen one with two wires coming out of it before...@ICBM?

At the end of the day, it is what it is, a restored husk. The seller isn't intending to pass it off as anything else so best of luck to him. I'd definitely want to see it in person though, that description of the neck is a big red flag to me.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • I'd say the 58 is genuine. Apart from anything else, there's little mileage in producing a fake vintage Junior that will pass muster unless you are faking something that brings in big-ish money, like a pristine 58/59 TV.
    The big factor is in the current market you can find a genuine, no issues vintage Junior for around £3k. At the current price this looks a decent deal. But if it hits £2k and over, why take the risk even if it's a small one. Especially if you plan to fork out for a decent refin. 

tFB Trader
    I'd say the 58 is genuine. Apart from anything else, there's little mileage in producing a fake vintage Junior that will pass muster unless you are faking something that brings in big-ish money, like a pristine 58/59 TV.
    The big factor is in the current market you can find a genuine, no issues vintage Junior for around £3k. At the current price this looks a decent deal. But if it hits £2k and over, why take the risk even if it's a small one. Especially if you plan to fork out for a decent refin. 

Totally agree, although i'd say an all original, 100% stock Junior is £4k every day of the week currently...and they seem to be rising.

Will be very interesting to see what all the CITES business does to the vintage market in the UK.
    (formerly miserneil)
    Agree with you Blacksheep. I wouldnt want to pay anymore than its up for right now. Its too compromised compared to a no-issues one. Shame the re-fin is so bad (imho) as it might be a great "player".
  • Just sold an all original 58 for a little over £3k. A lot are priced at £4k and not selling. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    miserneil said:

P90 is interesting, it's had a rewind or a repair or may not be a Gibson at all, not seen one with two wires coming out of it before...@ICBM?
    It looks basically like an original I think, but if those are the wires that go right into the coil then it's a rewind or at best has those replaced - badly. The baseplate isn't grounded either, there's a bodge to the shielded cable in the cavity.

Would need to examine it properly in person to be sure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    an original 58 with no neck break, for £3k? bloody hell thats a steal, I would've had that
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    monoamine said:
    an original 58 with no neck break, for £3k? bloody hell thats a steal, I would've had that
    Exactly!

You almost gave that one away @Blacksheep! ;-) 
    (formerly miserneil)