You guys were right - jcm800+fxloop+boost = solo boost . What s the best pedal ??!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
ive whipped out the jcm800 2203 today and put a boost pedal my friend lent me in the loop.
needs fine tuning , but I think this is the answer to my lack of volume boost for leads .

ill be looking for something fairly compact , reliable , good quality with low noise and east to switch on .

any ideas ? I have a Kerry King eq but it's a fair size .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    BBE Boosta Grande BG20
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • I've not used one for this purpose, but lots of people on here like using the mxr micro amp for this. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I've not used one for this purpose, but lots of people on here like using the mxr micro amp for this. 

The Micro Amp is a very good pedal, you can also have it always on at the start of the chain and it makes everything sound better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    How long has it taken to try it? :D 

Anyway, for that purpose I really like the DOD BiFet preamp. It's compact and quiet. Just gain and tone controls. A tone can be useful on a boost.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    TC Spark or Suhr Koko
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Get a passive volume *cut* instead, if reliability and noise are concerns. Simply set the amp for you normal solo volume and use the box to set your rhythm volume.

If easy to switch is important as well, Boss LS-2. You can use it for many things, but a simple boost (or cut) is one of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Get a passive volume *cut* instead, if reliability and noise are concerns. Simply set the amp for you normal solo volume and use the box to set your rhythm volume.

If easy to switch is important as well, Boss LS-2. You can use it for many things, but a simple boost (or cut) is one of them.
    Do you not loose a bit of grunting bite with a quieter rythmn volume ??
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    I've had good results with a Rothwell F1 booster..

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    riffpowers said:

Not if you're setting it to the same volume you would be setting your rhythm sound to now. All you're doing is reversing the procedure so the MV on the amp is set higher for your lead sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TC Spark Mini in the loop is pukka
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    ICBM said:
    riffpowers said:

Not if you're setting it to the same volume you would be setting your rhythm sound to now. All you're doing is reversing the procedure so the MV on the amp is set higher for your lead sound.
    This is how J Mascis does it but instead of the amp being the solo volume it's a maxxed out Muff
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4524
    edited January 2017
    I thought the spark was too pristine so prefer zvex super hard on
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    edited January 2017
    EHX LPB-1. I just built a tiny clone from the fuzz dogs kit and it's awesome for lead boosts.

Edit - you can use it as a pad to cut volume as well.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    I"m confused, are you looking for a clean volume boost, a gain boost, or a distortion boost?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited January 2017
    ICBM said:
    riffpowers said:

Definitely the best way to go, less dress on the amp, no colouring of the sound and cheaper too.  I'd also use a boost or tubescreamer up front to tighten up the lead sound or add a bit more gain on occaision
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    Electro Harmonix LPB-1. Cheap, compact, simple, does exactly what ir says on the tin.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Xotic RC Boost would give you some basic EQ control too - lovely boost. 

Or there's the EP Boost. 

(I like Xotic :-)
    Red ones are better. 
  • I've user a Seymour Duncan pickup booster in the past. Use it in the middle position so it doesn't change the eq at all and you havery up to 18db (or more) of clean boost
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    if you use a "Boost" in the loop it might add unwanted EQ, ie more bass. I use a BOSS GE7 EQ, easy to find, reliable, simple, £35 used....can't go wrong

• if you use a "Boost" in the loop it might add unwanted EQ, ie more bass. I use a BOSS GE7 EQ, easy to find, reliable, simple, £35 used....can't go wrong
    Funnily enough I have a Boss GE-7 used £35 ppg posted in the classifieds right now.  ;)
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.