Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So what do you guys think of my Little Wing cover?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• selfobsessednewguyselfobsessednewguy Frets: 18
    edited January 2017
    Wow, awesome, I didn't expect this kind of response. I appreciate all the help and input and nice things. I have learned a lot very quickly from you all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12305
    Almost Pool Shark improvement, well done.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I can't offer any feedback as you're considerably better than me! But well done on taking the feedback so positively and improving rather than getting offended/protective! Great job. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    The song choice leaves a lot to be desired, but that is a very good performance, great work.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Dunno about the cover - I didn't listen to it - but your forum section selection technique needs a lot of work.
  • Bidley said:
    The song choice leaves a lot to be desired, but that is a very good performance, great work.
    I agree - I can't help but notice a lot of mistakes and holes (we're talking a Hendrix song anyway, guy was a god)

Dunno about the cover - I didn't listen to it - but your forum section selection technique needs a lot of work.

I tried looking for a cover section but couldn't find one, so I thought I'd come to the one with the most traffic, since I'm so self-obsessed and everything
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Probably better off in the Making Music section, but you're right, Off Topic is the busiest part of the forum. You can move the thread yourself btw, click the little cog icon, top right of your first post, to edit it.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017
    boogieman said:
    Probably better off in the Making Music section, but you're right, Off Topic is the busiest part of the forum. You can move the thread yourself btw, click the little cog icon, top right of your first post, to edit it.  
    Thanks bruh just moved it   <3
  • Only listened to the newer one but I thought it sounded great. Maybe a touch less gain but overall, very good! Let us know how you get on live!
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Thats a much better effort that the first one...putting yourself up there for critique is always dangerous !

Well done for sticking with it and taking on board some feedback.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Thankyou guys so much, your words have made me do this cover properly with correct distortions and include it in my upcoming collection of music in an album as a cover, thanks so much for all the input, i'm happy with the results with this one.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    The difference between the two is like night and day. The new version is really excellent, it was a pleasure to listen to
    edited January 2017
    mellowsun said:
    The difference between the two is like night and day. The new version is really excellent, it was a pleasure to listen to
    Thankyou man

by the way, to all who enjoyed the last one, i have been working on this song a lot so i have a new version now, hope you guys enjoy

i should add that it does get a bit tame after the first solo, so stop listening after that unless you feel like carrying on
    @boogieman @Alnico @5redlights @littlegreenman @Moss @Gulliver @Col_Decker @Bid@Bidley ;

• boogieman said:
    Sorry but your timing is way off. Maybe practise over a backing track to get it better. The actual playing and phrasing is ok though. 
    no need to apologise man, i came here for critisism so thankyou. i didn't use a metronome for this, i think i should have really.Alnico said:
    I'm really insecure about my Little Wing covers and would like some criticism before I perform this live. This is my cover of Little Wing

Don't take that on stage.
    You can play, there's no doubt and the sound, although i thought it had a little too much gain for that song, was fine.

What's not right is as @boogieman says the timing is off but also the structure of the song seems to lose itself.

Try going back to it and writing the song out on A4.
    Structure it in on paper and remember what that image looks like, you will then see that on stage and remember the songs structure by that image.

If you go back and break the song into chunks, learning each one individually and then recognising where each section effectively stitches together it will help drastically.

Also listen out for contact points.
    If you've never heard or heard of these, they're licks or phrases that are recognised by the band to signal the end of a section or even the song itself. There is a VERY obvious one played by DG, ascending the neck in whole tone bends at the end of the long second solo in Comfortably Numb. It actually signals the last few bars of the song.
    You might find this and other songs you try to learn work better when you know their structure inside out.
    I do something i call 'Immersion' whereby i listen to a song i'm trying to learn on repeat on headphones for a couple of hours, again and again. When i pick the guitar up i know what's coming next every time (Most times !).
    That might help too.

You can play and you can definitely play THAT song, it just needs some finesse and confidence but it's a really gutsy attempt at a song that's not as easy as it might first appear.

Well done.

If you want any direct help, PM me anytime and i'll help all i can.
    Learning by ear and playing covers live, especially at jams is what i did for many years and would still be doing now if my health would allow.
    If you think i can help, just ask i'd be glad to.
    Yeah I know what you mean man, it was a bit repetitive and it didn't have a structure. I won't be taking this on stage any time soon, it will be in more than a month from now so that's why I'm working on it now. I think I'll redo it. I agree about the tone having too much gain, I actually am home from uni so am working with my old electric (£200 ibanez) and a £15 practice amp and my phone's microphone, so my recording equipment is very limited. Thanks for your help guys much appreciated