What is “case candy” worth?

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:

On another note, one thing I've wanted to do is get the vintage swings and so on for my 1960.

Any ideas?
    Ebay in the US, or get some repros printed for about 1% of the price :).
    endorse that - Eddie Vegas but OTT on prices - or watch American Pickers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Sounds like it's mainly the hang tags that are in question.. you can get a strap anywhere (not the special one but hey), they're offering the Wang bar and will throw in strings.
    I think exactly the opposite - the hang tags are of no real value, but the correct arm and a nice strap definitely are, and were supposed to be included. (If the arm needs a bushing and a retainer nut, it's something like a Firebird or a Flying V with the Maestro Vibrola, not a PRS.)

My guess is that this guitar is not new at all, and has been sold and returned with the first buyer 'mislaying' (ie keeping) the missing stuff, dinging the headstock and scuffing the case.
    I agree its been sold and used and most likely they sold it originally and used the original pics from the first time it was listed! Send it back and save fretting about it.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    I'd really like to get some. I have the ashtray and the trem cover.

What would a 1960 swing and candy set be?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• You sound unhappy so I'd just return the guitar n move on.
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:

https://reverb.com/uk/marketplace/accessories/case-candy - are you allowed to swear on this forum as #uck me £1251.68 for a green swing tag
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    My used PRS 305 came without tags and the tremeolo arm.

bought another arm from PRS and moved on with my life, don't really concern with tags when buying a used guitar.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The world has gone mad,  yes the trem is important but tags? We're getting to a schroedingers cat situation with guitar dealing it seems with people only wanting to buy a guitar in the original packaging it's delivered in unopened then sell it on like that
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Gassage said:
    The contrary argument is not having them reduces your market of people who will buy hugely.
    So it weeds out the mental cases, sounds like a bonus. It's the car equivalent of some weirdo asking if a JDM car still has the flare in the footwell.

The cherry on top would be if the guitar in question is a relic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited January 2017
    If you're not happy - seems clear to me that you're not - get a refund and try elsewhere. You do seem a bit unclear in your own mind about whether you have one eye on resale or buying this as a players' instrument.
  • A5D5E5A5D5E5 Frets: 307
    Gassage said:

https://reverb.com/uk/marketplace/accessories/case-candy - are you allowed to swear on this forum as #uck me £1251.68 for a green swing tag
    Possibly more valuable to somebody who owns a very high quality fake and wants to pass it off as original than it is to somebody who owns a genuine one.
    tFB Trader
    A5D5E5 said:
    Gassage said:

Possibly more valuable to somebody who owns a very high quality fake and wants to pass it off as original than it is to somebody who owns a genuine one.
    sorry but I can't see how a swing tag, that has no serial no id on it either, confirms one little bit what the actual guitar is - It can't confirm if it is  a refin, changed parts or any other pit falls that come with the territory regarding vintage Fenders

I do agree in the case of @Gassage such treats are nice to have, but I would never ever think that I need to spend £1251.68 to make my Strat a nicer package - someone will buy it though no doubt 
  • A5D5E5A5D5E5 Frets: 307
    A5D5E5 said:
    Gassage said:

sorry but I can't see how a swing tag, that has no serial no id on it either, confirms one little bit what the actual guitar is - It can't confirm if it is  a refin, changed parts or any other pit falls that come with the territory regarding vintage Fenders

I do agree in the case of @Gassage such treats are nice to have, but I would never ever think that I need to spend £1251.68 to make my Strat a nicer package - someone will buy it though no doubt 
    Because it adds to the backstory and having a few genuine bits of case candy could help to validate the forged bits.

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Did thomasross20 really just call it a Wang bar!? 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wouldn't assume anything shown in a photo on ebay was included in the sale unless it specifically said so in the listing.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7778

The thing that always amazes/puzzles me is the number of guitars I see that still have the protective plastic (mostly) on the rear cavity covers. I have no idea why anyone would think it's worth leaving on for more than a second, let alone a couple of years.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Did thomasross20 really just call it a Wang bar!? 
    Lol.. I know that's not it's true name :lol: 

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I wouldn't assume anything shown in a photo on ebay was included in the sale unless it specifically said so in the listing.
    I thought that you had to specify if something was not included? Especially if considered an obvious part of the package. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Paul_C said:

The thing that always amazes/puzzles me is the number of guitars I see that still have the protective plastic (mostly) on the rear cavity covers. I have no idea why anyone would think it's worth leaving on for more than a second, let alone a couple of years.
    And then claim it's a selling point even though it's going to be a bitch to remove and has probably damaged the plate underneath.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My used PRS 305 came without tags and the tremeolo arm.

bought another arm from PRS and moved on with my life, don't really concern with tags when buying a used guitar.  

Aye... But in this case, it isn't used. It's 'new'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    A5D5E5 said:
    Gassage said:

Oft times quite large amounts of money spent on period accessories can easily be recouped if you sell an expensive vintage guitar.

Most collectors of guitars, watches etc like a full set.