Nineteen fifty fucking nine. Incredible.

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4671

Unbelievable quality and it predates pretty much everyone else who did this kind of stuff.   I saw him countless times in the late sixties and early seventies but never really took to it.  What a fool.
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I'll see your 1959 and raise you a 1936:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    Surely you could raise me a 1935.........

I was referring more to the fact that Fahey, in 1959 was playing stuff that no-one else was doing, pre Beatles, pre Rolling Stones, pre John Mayall, pre British Blues Boom.  This album was recorded in the year that Buddy Holly died yet sounds and feels as if it could have been recorded last week.  

Alexis Korner was recording a bit earlier but its does not sound contemporary in the slightest.  Fahey was taking folk, bluegrass, country and blues and making it his own.  This album was self released too.

Johnson, I will say controversially, was following the trends, not doing anything original or groundbreaking, whereas John Fahey was absorbing all this old music, much of it pre-dating Johnson, modifying it and releasing it to an unsuspecting world.
    The world probably wasn't ready for it for another ten years mind.

The Complete Recordings would, probably, be my only record if that's all I was allowed but Blind Joe Death is utterly amazing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I've not listened to the whole Fahey album (so my comments are probably worthless!) but the bits I've heard sound like Robert Johnson, Lightnin' Hopkins, etc
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    Reverend Gary Davis and Bukka White.

• jellyroll said:
    I'll see your 1959 and raise you a 1936:

I bloody love Robert Johnson's music
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic