Micro Terror & Headphones

bigdawgbigdawg Frets: 51
I remember reading on MR someone posted up the specs for the headphones youd need to run into a micro terror so it didnt just sound like a distorted mess - dont suppose anyone kept a note did they

Or if any of the better informed regards to drivers, resistance etc could let me know would be grateful....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    edited January 2014
    Since Micro Terror is almost certainly the harshest, most grating, fatiguing guitar amp I've ever had the misfortune to listen to (beating even the Crate Powerblock), the concept of feeding that signal into a confined space next to your ears makes me extremely nervous!

You'll need something to wipe out all the top-end before it's even listenable, as well as a pad resistor so it's not likely to blow the headphones. This applies to any guitar amp, not just the Micro Terror - although with this you'll probably want to kill as much of the upper mids as possible as well.

Best done with an external patch box with the necessary components and a headphone jack in, which you can then use with any amp. Solid-state, anyway - unless you also put a load resistor in, which might actually help the MT since it definitely sounded less horrible into 4 ohms than 8 or 16.

I apologise for my opinion about the sound quality of the MT if you like yours :), but the rest is important - *don't* connect headphones to it directly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

@ICBM it does have a headphone socket, is what you describe necessary, or are you thinking about connecting headphones to the main output socket?

• ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    It does have a Headphone socket in the front, I have used it and it is a bit fatiguing.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    ROOG said:
    It does have a Headphone socket in the front, I have used it and it is a bit fatiguing.

Yeah I tried mine a couple of times like that (before I got a THR10 for home practice) doesn't sound great through headphones.

However I gigged with mine the other week (it's my back-up), at 8ohms into two 2x12, set with the drive quite low and volume up, with a Catalinbread 5F6 pedal and Timmy in front of it and it sounded great.

• bigdawgbigdawg Frets: 51
    I usually run it through a 2x12 with Greenbacks in so probably lose a lot of the harshness through them.

Im not looking to run it full blast just wanted it for quiet time practice and running an mp3 through it...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    edited January 2014

@ICBM it does have a headphone socket, is what you describe necessary, or are you thinking about connecting headphones to the main output socket?

Edit: my mistake, I forgot it had a headphone socket... I was thinking of the Aux In socket - I didn't try it with headphones though. I hate headphones with any guitar amp anyway - unless it has built-in speaker emulation it will certainly sound dreadful through them, even if the amp actually sounds OK.

I still thought it sounded horrible through speakers though! Actually putting a really muddy-sounding Sovtek valve in it helped a bit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein