I'm fascinated by this...... uber speaker cab.

What's Hot
ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
edited January 2017 in Amps tFB Trader
This looks very cool however I would love to see some maths/ a paper on the benefits of this to sound projection.

http://www.kammler-cabinets.de/en/tunator/

http://i.imgur.com/fsUZLhH.jpg
Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    edited January 2017
    Here's the patent, although you can only really work out that it's a way of holding the magnet in between 4 sides of the cab which somehow prevents unwanted resonances. I can see what they're getting at, the heavy magnet is basically cantilevered back from the baffle, and could oscillate like a pendulum.

"It has been found that can be considerably improved in this way the sound of the speaker. The cabinet represents an oscillatory system with components having different vibration characteristics. The use of the inventively provided clamping cross resonance and vibration effects in the speaker on the one hand kept as low as possible in this manner and on the other hand held in the entire system speaker at each point substantially the same. 
    The inventively provided and trained clamping cross creates a sense an "acoustic short circuit" between the oscillatory component and the housing and thus prevents different vibrations, especially independent resonant oscillations of the individual components of the speaker. 
    By adjusting the length-adjustable support legs can be the contact pressure exerted on the housing walls, and adjust so as to obtain the desired optimum sound as it were, "tune" the connection to the housing walls."

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1591
    edited January 2017

Or, it seems like an excellent way to couple speaker vibration into the cabinet walls, something you generally want to avoid!

Indeed, there are systems that put the speaker chassis on a compliant mounting to prevent such coupling of the "reactive force" A practice I find equally suspicious since a speaker chassis does not generate any net motion.

Rather surprised at a company like Celestion going in for what I consider a bit of a gimmick? "Tune the cabinet walls? Last thing you want for hi fi. Dead is what you want, not playing a bloody tune!

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    It's not for hi-fi though is it :).

I think the last time a 12" Alnico speaker was used for hi-fi was some time in the 1960s… I have one in my 50s Goodmans workshop cabinet, but describing that as hi-fi would be stretching things.

I'm not sure if it's an interesting idea or not, really. My initial reaction was that it was yet another solution in search of a problem, but I supposed I would have to hear it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    ICBM said:

I'm not sure if it's an interesting idea or not, really. My initial reaction was that it was yet another solution in search of a problem, but I supposed I would have to hear it.
    Posted the night after Dragons' Den.

Coincidence? I think not.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    I'm with ICBM on this one.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    There are so many problems in the world already, you'd think people could put their energy into solving some of those existing problems rather than inventing even more "problems".
    Looks like another one of those Mad Professor Red Cable type of deal.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    andyoz said:
    I'm with ICBM on this one.
    Sassafras said:
    There are so many problems in the world already, you'd think people could put their energy into solving some of those existing problems rather than inventing even more "problems".
    Looks like another one of those Mad Professor Red Cable type of deal.
    The thing with this sort of thing is this, I'd really like to hear it to allow myself to judge how effective they are as I like to maintain an open mind. However I guess you cant try everything so I have to park this as a curiosity sadly.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • They have some used cabs for sale on their site. Just buy one and try it, for the good of the Fretboard :)
  • I'd like to hear a blind test with one normal cab and one with this fitted. I don't care about what it does, just whether it sounds good.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

If it works, you'll be able to get a cheap Chinese copy of it soon anyway.

The prices for the cabs are eye watering! :O

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I can believe it may well make the cab sound slightly different by making everything more rigid.  Whether it sounds "better" is surely not a universal thing - depends on the tastes of the listener, in the same way as open back cabs don't sound "better" than closed ones.

vasselmeyer said:
    I'd like to hear a blind test with one normal cab and one with this fitted. I don't care about what it does, just whether it sounds good.
    I reckon you'd need a few cabs, with and without the new doobry, to rule out the differences in sound of individual cabs (unless the "tunator" makes a massive difference)
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1591
    ICBM said:
    It's not for hi-fi though is it :).

I think the last time a 12" Alnico speaker was used for hi-fi was some time in the 1960s… I have one in my 50s Goodmans workshop cabinet, but describing that as hi-fi would be stretching things.

Well IC, "they" say "control of cabinet resonances" so they must be thinking along those lines? I know your views on ply and "good vibrations"! But the effect of that brace could be achieved by a simple 1/2 jointed 2"x2" cross NOT touching the chassis.

I agree with the other comments, waste of time and talent. The guitar speaker and cab is sorted. Good driver (of choice) in a 19mm ply cab of decent construction...Move on.

Dave.

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1374
    4 X 12 from €2200? Better be good and not just snake oil....
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    ecc83 said:

Well IC, "they" say "control of cabinet resonances" so they must be thinking along those lines? I know your views on ply and "good vibrations"! But the effect of that brace could be achieved by a simple 1/2 jointed 2"x2" cross NOT touching the chassis.

I agree with the other comments, waste of time and talent. The guitar speaker and cab is sorted. Good driver (of choice) in a 19mm ply cab of decent construction...Move on.

Yes, I think they're trying to think along hi-fi lines up to a point - whether it has any benefit I have no idea!

If it does, it's likely to be for the exact opposite reason - that it transfers vibration from the speaker to the cabinet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    martinw said:

If it works, you'll be able to get a cheap Chinese copy of it soon anyway.

The prices for the cabs are eye watering! :O

You've just been pricing yours too cheaply @martinw !

That's £950 for a 1x12 cab with a Vintage 30!
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting idea, but wouldn't the red 'tunator' need to be made of rubber to be effective at dampening the vibrations? looks like plastic?

I would be very wary of buying a heavy 4x12 with these handles too:

Having owned a few old Sound City cabs with those same type of handles I know from experience they are a really awkward for one guy to lift on his own. Two men fine, but one guy on his own is a bit like doing this with 50Kg or so:

Kills your shoulders and fingers.
    If you look at the 2x10 it's just a big strut that doesn't even touch the magnets.
    So much for the super-duper tunerator technological breakthrough wizardry that's going to change all our lives.
    Looks like the audiophile bullshit is coming to guitars.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom