Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Mooer Preamps!

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
edited January 2017 in FX
Looks like Mooer aren't satisfied with trying to put the willies up Strymon/Eventide/Boss with their digital pedals and the Ocean Machine...now they seem to want to eat AMT's lunch, too:

Question is...what are they? Been talking to Drew, and so far we have...

1 - Diezel
2 - Marshall
3 - ?
4 - Vox
5 - EVH 5150
6 - ?
7 - ?
8 - ?
9 - Budda
10 - Hiwatt

Any ideas? In any case, I think this is going to be a very interesting development if they're any good, particularly since I've been toying with the idea of chucking together a preamp-based board which can be plugged into any effects return for live stuff and sound practically the same (if I ever get back to that).
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    7 & 8 fenders? 
    6 a bass amp I can't think of 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I reckon #7 might be a Fender, but the odd bit on the left hand side of #8 looks like a graphic EQ to me, which means it's probably a Mesa of some sort.
    <space for hire>
    3 looks very jet city, but I doubt it 
  • 6. will be a plexi
    3. Mesa (I think)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • I reckon 6 is a Marshall Plexi whereas 2 is a JCM900/high gain Marshall.

8 looks like a Fender blackface, perhaps?
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    I'd say 8 is a Mesa Boogie.

No idea about No.3. Was thinking ENGL but I doubt it.
  • There really should be a Peavey Bandit preamp.... 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    ones gotta be a mesa 2/3 rec I reckon
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I'm thinking buy all of these, a pile of pedals and a gigrig or similar and building an Analogue Helix :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_A said:
    I'm thinking buy all of these, a pile of pedals and a gigrig or similar and building an Analogue Helix :)
    Oh, yeah...forgot to mention, Mooer do a looper too :D

Seriously, their range is starting to get to Boss proportions now. They just don't seem to be able to stop making new pedals.
    <space for hire>
  • John_A said:
    Oh, yeah...forgot to mention, Mooer do a looper too :D

Seriously, their range is starting to get to Boss proportions now. They just don't seem to be able to stop making new pedals.
    I'm waiting for this to appear

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oooh I like...
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • 6 might be Markbass. 

These look interesting. A bass one with DI would be right up my street. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • defo got to be a fender in there, just hard to say which 1, gotta be 7 is a black/silverface.
    6 is it a tweed?

but yes saw these FB this morning and thought oooooh now thats a bit interesting for a back up amp to have in the kit bag, or something. then i thought nah thats the ale farts from last night and got on with me day.
    for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• but yes saw these FB this morning and thought oooooh now thats a bit interesting for a back up amp to have in the kit bag, or something. then i thought nah thats the ale farts from last night and got on with me day.
    Here's the thing - I know the AMT ones are definitely good enough to run direct into a PA from the cab emulated output. They also sound absolutely awesome when run into the effects return of a valve amp; there are videos around of the P-2, which is designed to be the preamp from a Peavey 5150 but with JFETs instead of glass bottles. At least one of those videos has somebody doing an A/B test between the amp's preamp and the pedal, and they were totally indistinguishable.

If these pedals are that good, then (at Mooer prices) this could be a game changer.

Imagine an alternate scenario: running one of the clean preamp pedals (a Fender-ish one, for example) as the last pedal in your chain. Put a distortion like the Bogner Red in front of it. You can basically run that into the effects return of any amp and have it sound pretty much identical every single time, and tweak the preamp EQ (ie global EQ) to taste.

So...any time there's a shared backline at a gig, you can literally show up with your guitar and pedalboard, but be reasonably sure of the sound you're going to get. That's gold.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited January 2017
    They only look to have one output which is less flexible than the AMTs, though it looks like there's a switch that might switch on a cab sim.

Other than that they're interesting for sure.
  • They only look to have one output which is less flexible than the AMTs, though it looks like there's a switch that might switch on a cab sim.

Other than that they're interesting for sure.
    I actually think that - in terms of the cab sim - a switch is more useful than a separate output; in a live situation, if you needed to go from non-emulated to emulated, AMT's solution requires rewiring your board (non-trivial if you have multiple preamps attached to a looper).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    There's got to be a Dumble in there somewhere.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited January 2017
    Interesting. If the Marshall is as good as the Tech 21 British I might have to get one. 

A nice bass one into my monitors would be perfect for bass too.
    I've made no secret about my dislike for mooer, so don't read if you don't want to hear my negative thoughts (again).

But does anyone else just hate their lack of originality.  They seem to sit and wait for other pedals to be developed just to clone them, and woooo look how small they are.  I just can't warm to them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom