Gibson Robot SG going rate?

What's Hot
My friend is interested in selling this Gibson Robot SG in Silverburst with the case and all the candy.

With it being a robot version, I haven't really got an idea of the going rate, I'm thinking it is about £700-£800? Is that fair?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I remember a year after Robot Gibsons were out they told me in Coda that nobody wanted them. Normally I'd try doing an eBay search including completed listings, but I just checked and there aren't any. 

Nice looking SG, but I really wouldn't want that complicated stuff on that sort of guitar personally. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    The Robot tuning was more integrated than the current min-e-tune is. I can't see it being a selling point myself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

I've got one of those, 2008 model in metallic green rather than silverburst.

Can't remember what it cost me, I got it from the USA a year or so ago (before the exchange rate went tits up after the referendum).  I'll have a look later.

I really hate all the Robot shite, and as @SteveRobinson says it's more integrated than the current headstock-only version - there are sensors in the bridge, circuitry in the control cavity and a push-pull control in addition to the tuners themselves which make it ridiculously neck heavy.

Having said all that, it's an SG in a cool colour and it has a very nice ebony fingerboard which, to me, is a selling point.

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8018
    I had a 2008 one too. Looked great, sounded great, but everything about the tuning system was crap.

Around the time I sold it (about 2013/14, I think), you couldn't give 'em away - completed listings on eBay were between £350 - £475 and there were numerous examples for sale with the Robot guts removed.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    I was in a band last year,  with someone who had one.  The tuning thing was an absolute crock.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

Not a bad guitar to put EMGs in, there's a ready-made space for the battery if you ditch all the Robot guts.

I don't think the tuning system's completely crap, it does work fairly well but it simply isn't any easier than tuning it yourself.  It's the proverbial sledgehammer to crack a walnut.