White Ebony fretboards

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2607
in Guitar tFB Trader

Interesting...   check this new Gibson Dave Amato signature...   Apparently the fretboard is made from White Ebony..  Not seen that before.. Looks cool though

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5405
    Unless this is Gibson taking liberty with wood naming a la Korina in the 1950s, white ebony is simply the sapwood of the tree, whereas the black stuff has to come from the heartwood. 

Taylor gets a lot of "mixed" ebony now, and making a concerted effort to make people want it. Getting a uniformly black fretboard on a Taylor now is less common than a streaky one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2607
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    Unless this is Gibson taking liberty with wood naming a la Korina in the 1950s, white ebony is simply the sapwood of the tree, whereas the black stuff has to come from the heartwood. 

Taylor gets a lot of "mixed" ebony now, and making a concerted effort to make people want it. Getting a uniformly black fretboard on a Taylor now is less common than a streaky one.

Well this is the thing.. Ive seen streaky ebony and the streaky bits look much lighter than what I can see on the guitar above...  What he has on there almost looks more like grenadillo which Gibson have used before and is like a light rosewood...

I have just never seen a fretboard made of totally lighter Ebony like that...   What with the new Rosewood laws id imagine we will be seeing much more of it...

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5405
    Absolutely - I think it's extremely rare to see ebony that consistently white on guitars for sure, but as you say, going forward we'd better get used to it. Bob Taylor will be pleased, more sales for him... 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16657
    Looks like dull dirty maple

• WezVWezV Frets: 16657
    Grenadillo tends to be more of a brick red for most of it.  but the sap wood is quite like that
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    Whitecat said:

like streaky ebony. Bring it on!
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22737
    I don't like it.  It looks insipid.  Maybe it would look a bit less wishy-washy if the headstock wasn't black.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    The whole guitar looks a bit washed out to me...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Looks interesting.
    I prefer my ebony with a streaks, or macassar, which is my favourite.
    I see a lot of people dyeing streaky ebony so that it looks uniformly black, I'd prefer they left it natural.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    It's another name for Richlite.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Sassafras said:
    It's another name for Richlite.
    CITES will be wanting to ban Richlite next...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I thought it looked quite nice. Needed another pickup mind.