Simple, Single Channel Valve Amps

What's Hot
MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
Hi all - looking for some suggestions.

The background - my Egnater Renegade was in the shop recently getting fixed, and I had to drag my vintage Orange out to rehearsal.  It's a GRO100, single channel, no master volume, 4xEL34's, so fecking LOUD.

Bottom line - it was absolutely awesome, and even at the moderate volume I could manage I sounded as good as I have for a while.  Don't get me wrong, the Egnater is a brilliant amp that covers way more ground than the Orange, but for sheer pleasure thrashing away on the single channel orange was way more fun.

So I'm thinking of treating myself to a new amp.  I don't want to use the Orange, as it's quite valuable and not something I can replace if it's nicked from a pub.

I love the idea of something that's more manageable in terms of volume - 18-30 valve watts, I'm guessing.  Something bright, glassy, but thick when pushed.  I don't play heavy stuff - I like a little grunge, happy to get there with a decent pedal or too.  But it's really that not-quite-clean-not-quite-dirty amp tone that I'm after.

Any suggestions?  Can't sneak a fortune past the wife - I reckon I've a limit of a grand, maybe 1200 if I don't tell her.
Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    edited January 2017
    Is it pics-only or pics & text?

The Orange custom shop retro 50 would be close, as would the non-custom OR50 (sort of). 
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    The Orange? Pics only, it's a 1972 amp.
    Mark de Manbey

• Had a few of those. 

I'd try to get hold of a CS Retro 50; they usually sell for less than a grand. Alternatively a Matamp GTO could come close. They do a 40 watter these days.

Alternatively, if you have 1-1.2k spend you could buy yourself another OR120 and stick some cash in the bank ;)
    Thanks - exchanged a few emails with Matamp - they're a little reluctant to dish out price lists, but it might be worth a 4 hour drive up north to check out their stuff. Don't think I'd look at an Orange; the OR120 is quite different to my GRO.
    Mark de Manbey

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    edited January 2017
    The original non-MV versions aren't really that different, though most of the post Matamp oranges were contract built so there are variations even between ostensibly the same models / model years. I've had many variations often at the same time - had a GRO and OR 80 concurrently, then a Green RCG and an OR and they were all almost exactly the same - the sonic differences are pretty minimal. More difference from tubes than the circuit / build variations.

Granted the 90s reissue OR120 is slightly tweaked and is basically a series two style MV.

how about something like an old Roost? Closer to Hiwatt but cheap as chips with that brawn you only get with those old school beefy amps?

Another left field suggestion might be a Fryette / VHT deliverance with the gain low. I thought they had a somewhat similar feel.

• Victory V40?
  • Jet City JCA20HV. £228, sounds great, makes a brilliant pedal platform and easily loud enough for getting over a drummer.
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23954
    Suhr Badger. Lovely thing.
    Victory V40?
    Great call, hadn't thought of them.  Checking them now, they sound great.

Anyone know if it's possible to get a vertical 2x12 for it?
    Mark de Manbey

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    DrZ Maz 18 NR
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Jet City JCA20HV. £228, sounds great, makes a brilliant pedal platform and easily loud enough for getting over a drummer.
    This. I have one as a back-up but for cramped stages I use it on top of a vertical 2x12. Superb amp. 
    Jet City JCA20HV. £228, sounds great, makes a brilliant pedal platform and easily loud enough for getting over a drummer.
    This. I have one as a back-up but for cramped stages I use it on top of a vertical 2x12. Superb amp. 
    That looks remarkably good for the price.
    Mark de Manbey

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    MrBump said:
    That looks remarkably good for the price.

Not just for the price, it's a good amp full stop.
  • MrBump said:
    Victory V40?
    Great call, hadn't thought of them.  Checking them now, they sound great.

Anyone know if it's possible to get a vertical 2x12 for it?
    Yeah, Victory sell a matching one with creambacks
  • The head seems to sell for around £600 2nd hand so even if you bought a new 2x12 cab you'd be around your budget.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I would go matamp if you want something that sounds similar to the orange...the jet city is a great amp, but it won't sound anywhere close to the orange. 

It it depends if you just want a single channel amp...or was it the tone of the orange that you loved again. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jet City JCA20HV. £228, sounds great, makes a brilliant pedal platform and easily loud enough for getting over a drummer.
    Would you care sharing your settings? I've had one of these for a few months but have been slightly underwhelmed. Its probably me though! Only pedals are a flashback and a Bad Monkey.
  • samzadgan said:
    I would go matamp if you want something that sounds similar to the orange...the jet city is a great amp, but it won't sound anywhere close to the orange. 

It it depends if you just want a single channel amp...or was it the tone of the orange that you loved again. 

I agree with this. You may find the solid state orange crush pro series sounds closer than some other amps to what you want - valves or not. 

The suggestions above are all great amps in their own right, mind. 
    Well, just got my Egnater back from Essex Amp Repairs, and it sounds better than ever.

I also took them in my Orange for a service and had a chat with them about new single channel amps.  They do a (reversible) mod to reduce the power of loud amps, so I'm going to get them to do that with the Orange, see if that helps.  Although to be honest, the Eggy is sounding so fine at the moment, I think I've got the amp situation covered.  

Maybe I'll buy a new guitar instead..?
    Mark de Manbey