Akai New Headrush: looks like a Helix! (Best thread version)

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 8544
edited January 12 in FX
Brexit: The UK is like someone who, having booked an appointment with Dignitas, finds their condition is curable but can't be arsed to cancel.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 214
    I'll stick with my blue E2 for now ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 9436
    edited January 10

"Developed by the team behind Avid's Eleven DSP, HeadRush boasts a quad-core processor and Eleven HD Expanded DSP, which aim to deliver "the most versatile, realistic-sounding and responsive" models ever found in a floorboard guitar FX processor."

In the words of a well-known ex-member..."yet another floorboard processor that makes the Fractal stuff look like 1980s bullshit" :D

Seriously, though, this looks spectacular. If it's anything close to the sound I could get from the Eleven Rack, I'm sold - that was always my favourite-sounding modeller, it just sucked in live use.
    "Mains is ouchy if you get it up you" - Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 7558
    Looks very cool. 

Any indication of price?
    Handsome_Chris said: Like white Nile Rodgers. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 8544
    Brexit: The UK is like someone who, having booked an appointment with Dignitas, finds their condition is curable but can't be arsed to cancel.

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 3139
    Ooooooooooooh
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 5441
    Err, that's what @fretmeister posted an hour ago. 
    Looks very cool. 

Any indication of price?
    £899.99
    Jesus monkey butler. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited January 9
    Sorry, I had a "bass player" filter engaged :D

Err, that's what @fretmeister posted an hour ago. 
    Looks very cool. 

Any indication of price?
    £899.99
    Wow.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 4327
    heh, when I saw fretmeister's thread I glanced at it, but didn't really read much at it because I thought this was some kind of a looping system.  Looks really cool.
    http://www.headrushfx.com/

Scroll to the bottom and have a look at the models. I suspect @professorben will recognise the list.

Basically, it's a quad-core Eleven Rack with gapless switching, a looper and a vastly-improved user interface. If it also has spillover, I'm sold.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 334
    Watched the video. What pedalboard? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 4763
    Looks great. Will be interested to hear more, price point seems good.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 4056
    edited January 9
    When I saw the image, at first I thought it was Line 6 releasing a stripped down version of the Helix!

Still has 2 fx loops, touch screen looks pretty easy and intuitive to use. 

I wonder if it does the dual path thing that helix does? If not, that is a massive difference, the parallel mixing helix offers, as well as dual paths for 2 guitars or Vocal + guitar etc, would still push it over the edge, feature wise for me.

Of course, if this sounds better + has the features you need and is a little cheaper, then it could be a no brainer,

Will be interesting to see if Boss bother to go this route in the future?
    Of course, there's part of me which wonders whether they just got an Android tablet, recompiled the Eleven firmware for it, glued it into a Helix-alike chassis and put a class-compliant audio interface in there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 4763
    My only concern with editing on a touch screens is how it copes with sweaty fingers.  I still think there's always a place for buttons and knobs

My only concern with editing on a touch screens is how it copes with sweaty fingers.  I still think there's always a place for buttons and knobs

Ever used your phone with sweaty fingers? I suspect it'll cope just fine.

Doesn't look to me like it'll be a problem, and it also has an alternate hands-free editing interface, presumably just like the Helix.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 3139
    @digitalscream yeps, they look familiar. 
    Interesting they have brought across some of the AIR fx from protools and it also now features a Harmoniser section.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 9735
    Looks neat - though I'm not sure if drag and drop is as good as having the row of parameter knobs on the Helix. Both would be nice.
    Ich bin ein Hamburgler.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 2349
    edited January 9
    Line 6 should be flattered. It shows how right they got the Helix if others are copying the style.
    "If I grow up I'll be a singer wearing rings on every finger"
    edited January 9
    When I saw the image, at first I thought it was Line 6 releasing a stripped down version of the Helix!

Still has 2 fx loops, touch screen looks pretty easy and intuitive to use. 

I wonder if it does the dual path thing that helix does? If not, that is a massive difference, the parallel mixing helix offers, as well as dual paths for 2 guitars or Vocal + guitar etc, would still push it over the edge, feature wise for me.

Of course, if this sounds better + has the features you need and is a little cheaper, then it could be a no brainer,

Will be interesting to see if Boss bother to go this route in the future?
    Check this out (crop from the image on their site):

Note the "Stereo Doubler" at the end, and the two amp/cab pairs - there's clearly some kind of signal path splitting going on. The graphics don't seem quite right - the "cable" goes straight from the "air filter" to the doubler with nothing going through the amps/cabs, but it's at least an indication of where they're heading.

EDIT: In fact, the Stereo Doubler is an interesting one in and of itself - it's listed on their site under "Reverbs/Delays", which sort of makes you wonder if it's actually something along the lines of the TC Mimiq.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 347
    Looks like I sold my AX8 at just the right time :)

Looks ideal for home/rehearsal use if that price is correct. Always heard good things about the Eleven Rack, and if this does seamless patch switching that's a major bonus.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1396
    excuse my absolute ignorance on this...but is this like a really advanced and Zoom G3 type thing??
    Band: Crimson Ritual: https://crimsonritual.bandcamp.com/
    *** We've just released our first album ***
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • samzadgan said:
    excuse my absolute ignorance on this...but is this like a really advanced and Zoom G3 type thing??
    Yes, exactly that. In precisely the same way that a Dumble is a really advanced Peavey Bandit type thing ;)
    11reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 23624
    digitalscream said:

In precisely the same way that a Dumble is a really advanced Peavey Bandit type thing ;)
    Surely the other way round? ;) :D 

This looks interesting. It would need to sound at least as good as the analogue overdrive/distortion module in the Boss GT-5 for it to be on my want list, but I'm not sure that's impossible now.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1396
    samzadgan said:
    Yes, exactly that. In precisely the same way that a Dumble is a really advanced Peavey Bandit type thing ;)
    I get i simplified things immensely, but just had to get it right in my head.

like ICBM says though the distortion/fuzz/OD is where I haven't heard digital recreations that I like...for everything else though digital is perfectly fine to my ears.
    Band: Crimson Ritual: https://crimsonritual.bandcamp.com/
    *** We've just released our first album ***
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBM said:
    digitalscream said:

In precisely the same way that a Dumble is a really advanced Peavey Bandit type thing ;)

This looks interesting. It would need to sound at least as good as the analogue overdrive/distortion module in the Boss GT-5 for it to be on my want list, but I'm not sure that's impossible now.
    :D

The drive pedal models in the 11R were very good as I recall. Didn't use them much, though, because the amp modelling sounded so "right" to me.

Good question on their Facebook page:

Q: 
    "The amp and cab models are the same present in the Eleven Rack or this ones are enhanced/modified? The list of models is the same..."

A: "They are redesigned from the ground up built around the new quad-core DSP system. It's a massive step up in definition and realism."

Yep, this is sounding very much like the effects unit I've been wanting. Now, let's talk about spillover... ;)
    ICBM said:
    digitalscream said:

:D

The drive pedal models in the 11R were very good as I recall. Didn't use them much, though, because the amp modelling sounded so "right" to me.

Good question on their Facebook page:

Q: "The amp and cab models are the same present in the Eleven Rack or this ones are enhanced/modified? The list of models is the same..."

A: "They are redesigned from the ground up built around the new quad-core DSP system. It's a massive step up in definition and realism."

Yep, this is sounding very much like the effects unit I've been wanting. Now, let's talk about spillover... ;)
    I'm going to be that you get in patch spill over, but not patch to patch spill over.
  • Yep, this is sounding very much like the effects unit I've been wanting. Now, let's talk about spillover... ;)
    I'm going to be that you get in patch spill over, but not patch to patch spill over.
    That was my bet, but then I looked at the feature list...and it looks strikingly similar to the feature request list from the original Eleven Rack on Avid's site. Fairly high up that list were seamless patch switching (which it has) and patch-to-patch spillover.

Factor in the quad core DSP, and it looks a lot more technically do-able.
    That was my bet, but then I looked at the feature list...and it looks strikingly similar to the feature request list from the original Eleven Rack on Avid's site. Fairly high up that list were seamless patch switching (which it has) and patch-to-patch spillover.

Factor in the quad core DSP, and it looks a lot more technically do-able.
    I guess a large part will be how DSP intensive the models are and how complex the signal path can be? Maybe if it's signal chain is single path series only, with only dual amp or cab blocks available then it becomes a bit less complex? 

If that's true - then there becomes quite a lot of difference between this and helix (beyond the models) which is good imo.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 9735
    Also - while this is assumption on assumption - looking at the layout on the screen it's not running vast numbers of effect blocks, so it could be that it uses two cores to run the current patch, and the other two cores to spillover from the previous.

It's a very compelling price point against the Helix. Again, based just on the video, it doesn't look to have quite the same level of flexibility in building really silly patches, but it's a good chunk less money and will probably cover what a lot of people want/need. Plus they nicked a lot of the nice features from the Helix - the scribble strips and coloured footswitch lights are really good.
    Ich bin ein Hamburgler.