Akai New Headrush: looks like a Helix! (Best thread version)

What's Hot

Comments

• longilongi Frets: 95
    longi said:
    It does look like that at first glance doesn't it? But when you look at the other Akai products it looks like one of their own designs. I wonder if Line 6 copied Akai....
    Nope. The first Helix ID/UI/UX conversations started in 2008.
    Ahh ok cool, it wasn't a dig just an observation! It's probably a coincidence anyway! =) ! The products look similiar both look lovely though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    longi said:
    Line 6 should be flattered. It shows how right they got the Helix if others are copying the style.
    It does look like that at first glance doesn't it? But when you look at the other Akai products it looks like one of their own designs. I wonder if Line 6 copied Akai....

http://www.akaipro.com/category/new-products

Not that it matters either way both products look visually great.

None of those have scribble strips...

I was just pointing out the aesthetics of the products, they have a similar thing going on to the Helix. The other Akai products are not guitar products anyhoo so perhaps they wouldn't. have scribble strips.

• longi said:
    Sporky said:
    longi said:
    Line 6 should be flattered. It shows how right they got the Helix if others are copying the style.

http://www.akaipro.com/category/new-products

Not that it matters either way both products look visually great.

None of those have scribble strips...

I was just pointing out the aesthetics of the products, they have a similar thing going on to the Helix. The other Akai products are not guitar products anyhoo so perhaps they wouldn't. have scribble strips.

Scribble strips have been on most users' "wanted features" list for yonks - it's just that the tech didn't really exist to make them practical.

As for the Headrush vs Helix thing...there are only so many ways you can make a multi-effects unit with a big screen, so it was always going to be similar. I think both the Helix and the Headrush owe a certain amount of their aesthetics to the GT-100...
    <space for hire>
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited January 2017
    Looks very cool!  Any idea of price yet?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Voxman said:
    Looks very cool!  Any idea of price yet?
    £899
    <space for hire>
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    edited January 2017
    Saloon cars all look the same, VR helmets look the same, any high cost MFX with an emphasis on UI will look like this now that small OLED screens are cheap as chips.

The real progenitors of both Helix and Headrush are Apple, Foxconn, Xiaomi and Samsung
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    That user interface REALLY looks like  Android. I'm assuming it's got an ARM CPU in there somewhere as well as the DSPs so it's quite possible they've just lifted bits out of Android and handled the signal and switching processing off to the DSPs.
    There are Analog Devices SHARC DSP's with ARM cores on chip as I recall.
    mixolyd said:
    Saloon cars all look the same, VR helmets look the same, any high cost MFX with an emphasis on UI will look like this now that small OLED screens are cheap as chips.

The real progenitors of both Helix and Headrush are Apple, Foxconn, Xiaomi and Samsung
    Can't say that I'd be sorry if every modeller looked the same as the Helix or the Headrush, they look classy. It's just a shame I can't afford one.
  • Suhrs and Andertons look like Fenders.

PRS singlecuts look like Gibsons in a smoke filled room...
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I kind of think it looks like a kind of knock off version, like those Android tablets that look a bit like iPads 
    The feature set looks good although the lack of pedal loops takes it off the table for me.
    I'm also not sure I want a touch screen at my feet. In face I've thought about it , I definitely don't
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Seem to be two threads on the Headrush - might be worth combining them. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Voxman said:
    No way. One of them's mine, therefore it takes precedence and is much better.
    <space for hire>
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman said:

Someone should A/B these threads, see which is the most authentic emulation of a conversation.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Voxman said:

Someone should A/B these threads, see which is the most authentic emulation of a conversation.
    I like this thread. And anyone who likes the other thread is a cloth eared moron. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Looks like one thread copied the other to me
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    When I saw the image, at first I thought it was Line 6 releasing a stripped down version of the Helix!

Still has 2 fx loops, touch screen looks pretty easy and intuitive to use. 

I wonder if it does the dual path thing that helix does? If not, that is a massive difference, the parallel mixing helix offers, as well as dual paths for 2 guitars or Vocal + guitar etc, would still push it over the edge, feature wise for me.

Of course, if this sounds better + has the features you need and is a little cheaper, then it could be a no brainer,

Will be interesting to see if Boss bother to go this route in the future?
    Check this out (crop from the image on their site):

Note the "Stereo Doubler" at the end, and the two amp/cab pairs - there's clearly some kind of signal path splitting going on. The graphics don't seem quite right - the "cable" goes straight from the "air filter" to the doubler with nothing going through the amps/cabs, but it's at least an indication of where they're heading.

EDIT: In fact, the Stereo Doubler is an interesting one in and of itself - it's listed on their site under "Reverbs/Delays", which sort of makes you wonder if it's actually something along the lines of the TC Mimiq.

I didn't notice it before but has scribble strips. Nice.
  • kjdowd said:
    I like this thread. And anyone who likes the other thread is a cloth eared moron. 
    Joe Bonamassa endorsed the other thread. So I'm here instead. 

• kjdowd said:
    Joe Bonamassa endorsed the other thread. So I'm here instead. 

Have the contents of this thread been gooped? Then I'll listen...
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

Looks great, but those colours hurt my eyes.  I wonder if you can change them, or you have to keep the 80's dayglo colour scheme.  The Helix looks classier, for its understated look.  Still, if it sounds good, I could live with the bright pink lights.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23916
    kjdowd said:
    Voxman said:

+1

And it was the original.