Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should I go for it?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• The price isn't too bad if the neck and body has decent quality with decent fretwork
    Need some pics though

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Fletcher pickups yes, got trons in the classic output range. They're excellent, I've had TVJs and these sound every bit as good. I did have to redo the cover soldering on one pickup though.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31584
    It sounds like a really good deal, if you can't imagine yourself ever owning your own screwdriver. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monoamine said:
    didn't someone on the musicradar forum once have a blue Dave Grohl style 335 made in Korea in the exact same way and posted the to-and-fro with the factory and the end result wasn't that bad?
    That was my Chibson on here, it was a fun experiment in a lot of ways. The guitar that turned up was perfectly serviceable to be honest, probably just under normal epiphone quality? I spent another £200 or so replacing all the hardware and electronics, and still happily play it alongside my PRS.

My vote is; go for it if you can afford to throw the money away and don't mind taking a chance. Otherwise, go with what you know.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    p90fool said:
    It sounds like a really good deal, if you can't imagine yourself ever owning your own screwdriver. 

I can use some tools, it's just that I can't get find a Body and Neck that cheap anywhere else. 
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    edited January 2017
    p90fool said:

I can use some tools, it's just that I can't get find a Body and Neck that cheap anywhere else. 

Touchstone Tonewoods have (or had) some Strat & Tele necks that are ridiculously cheap... I think £35 or something. No idea if they're any good, BUT I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable guys here can suggest a cheap source for a neck & body...

EDIT: the neck I mean is now £42. Still pretty cheap. (No idea if VAT is included and there will be a carriage charge.)

But the point is I'm sure you can find a cheaper neck somewhere. You could then make a body from scratch if you can find a suitable blank. A lot more work but the pride is priceless...

• SporkySporky Frets: 28151

What does that tell you?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    There is also the issue of finishing, I don't feel confident applying a lacquer, I'm sure that it will be better than anything I can do.

Hmmm maybe you should go for it then (my suggestion of a DIY job was only if you have the patience & time to get all of that right.)

I had a very quick look at this website and there's not much on there to tell what his results look like - no previous builds featured that I could see and only one blog entry. But other people on this thread have put a word in about him so why not...

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    edited January 2017
    http://www.brandoniguitars.co.uk ; Short trip from you go and choose what you want
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    http://www.brandoniguitars.co.uk ; Short trip from you go and choose what you want

I did contact them but they couldn't provide a Tele body with a Trem Route, the Boult Guitars Body is finished in Lake Placid Blue as well.
    Ravenous said:

Hmmm maybe you should go for it then (my suggestion of a DIY job was only if you have the patience & time to get all of that right.)

I had a very quick look at this website and there's not much on there to tell what his results look like - no previous builds featured that I could see and only one blog entry. But other people on this thread have put a word in about him so why not...

If you go to the homepage and shop there is a lot of pictures, there is also loads on his facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/BoultGuitars/

He's in Milton Keynes which isn't extremely far so there is a chance I can visit and try out some guitars.

He usually supplies the hardware himself but as I specifically wanted Wilkinson Hardware and specific pickups he told me it would be best to just get the hardware I wanted shipped to him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

If you go to the homepage and shop there is a lot of pictures, there is also loads on his facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/BoultGuitars/

D'oh how did I miss those! Thanks. (I'll have a browse through myself later.)