Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

In the days b4 downloads

What's Hot

Comments

• TTony said:
    57Deluxe said:
    /\ I was actually alluding to all of the classic classics all in the chart at the same time this time 50 years ago - Absolutely nothing to do with making a statement about bloody technology - Jeez....
    But...it was YOU that brought up downloads...?   *confused*
    I think that was just as a measure of time.

Much in the same way that some people use "BC" and "AD" ... Not every event that happens with an AD (or BC) date is explicitly linked to the alleged birth of a person of cultural and religious significance in a barn, many years ago.

;)
    But by that measure you could use any significant event or invention of the last 50 years, but the implication would be that the event you chose would be somehow relevant surely? 

For the record I actually do like a number of the songs in that list (beach boys, Barron knights, Hendrix, Spencer Davis) and I'm probably as retro as any twenty something, but I do think this kind of thing is affected by older generations generally being more nostalgic than younger ones, its not directly comparable culturally. 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
       There's so much fantastic new music out there; I don't understand this love some people have of wallowing in 50-year-old music.

Aren't you currently trying to get Bach under your fingertips?  :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    fob said:
       There's so much fantastic new music out there; I don't understand this love some people have of wallowing in 50-year-old music.

I think it's good to grow up on old music, it gives one a good grounding, helps you to appreciate that most musical ideas have been done before. As a family we used to listen to the Old Record Club on a Sunday, then when in school people were amazed that I could name Lieutenant Pigeon when someone played Mouldy Old Dough. It also helped me answer a Trivial Pursuit question along the lines of "Which train leaves Pennsylvania station at a quarter to four" (Chattanooga Choo Choo). The other school kids thought I'd sneaked a look at the answer.

I can't be doing with this modern aversion to knowledge of the past.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought the key word was 'wallowing'.  I'm betting @sporky has heard all of that stuff before enough times he doesn't want to listen to it again.
    If you don't wallow, your kids won't get to listen. :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780

It's a good point.  I've even heard supposedly well-educated people trotting out the "it's before I was born" line on things like The Chase.  Don't go on a TV quiz show then, you muppet.

When someone says that on Mastermind I'll know it really is time to just give up on the 21st century.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    Not sure what the question was, but the best song on that list (by far) is I'm a Believer. 

Surprised there's no Beatles in 67.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    I used to tape pop songs off the radio with it and try to get it done perfect so you couldnt heard the DJ.
    +1 
    In fact I heard an old song the other day that I knew really well until about halfway through the song. I then realised that the reason I didn't know the rest was because the tape had run out!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    fob said:

Yes, among other pieces. Bach was a bit more than 50 years ago though, and that's for playing, not listening to over and over while complaining that there's no good new music. As guitarfishbay says, the key word is "wallowing". It's like the people who want to watch Only Fools And Horses on repeat for the rest of their lives.

Nothing wrong with knowledge, and nothing wrong with liking music from however long ago it is. But I think there's a great deal of obsession with the 50s, 60s and 70s amongst guitarists, to the detriment of the instrument.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited January 2017

This.

I mean, all those sad old fucks who listen to Mozart and Puccini, I ask you.

It's music. Does it matter how old it is if you like it?
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    That dog looks like Jeremy Corbyn.
    Funny as his grasp of policy is almost identical too.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I could repeat myself, but it doesn't seem like anyone's reading anything other than what they want to read.
  • Sporky said:

I could repeat myself, but it doesn't seem like anyone's reading anything other than what they want to read.
    Or you could say something unambiguously in the first place.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017
    Sporky said:

What's unambiguous about "there is nothing on that list that I would listen to on purpose", or "I've nothing against pop. I quite like Good Vibrations, but that list is all old stuff that I've heard a bazillion times already. There's so much fantastic new music out there; I don't understand this love some people have of wallowing in 50-year-old music."?

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    I'm with @Sporky on this one. While I acknowledge that list contains a lot of classic songs, I'm not sure I could be arsed to listen to any of them. 

I was amused to realise the other day that downloads will die out before CDs which in turn will die out before vinyl.
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited January 2017
    Sporky said:
    Sporky said:

What's unambiguous about "there is nothing on that list that I would listen to on purpose", or "I've nothing against pop. I quite like Good Vibrations, but that list is all old stuff that I've heard a bazillion times already. There's so much fantastic new music out there; I don't understand this love some people have of wallowing in 50-year-old music."?

Well given that at least five of us apparently failed to get your meaning, I'd say it was ambiguous.

Speaking as someone who has made his living as a writer for 35 years, there are only two reasons someone misunderstands what you're saying.

They're trolling you. I for one wasn't trolling.

Or you didn't express yourself as clearly as you believed.

Writing isn't about what you put down. It's about what people take out. If they take out something other than what you meant, then you didn't put it down as clearly as you think you did.

The end.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Not sure what the question was, but the best song on that list (by far) is I'm a Believer.
    I would say Dead End Street is better.

It's also noticeable that although there are a lot of good songs there, there are only a small handful at best of great ones.

Surprised there's no Beatles in 67.
    It's January '67 - they were hard at work on Sgt. Pepper.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Well given that at least five of us apparently failed to get your meaning, I'd say it was ambiguous.
    I've removed your silly lecture as it was built on a logical fallacy; there are many more than those two possibilities (your argument therefore relying on a false dilemma).

Again - what did I write that was ambiguous? I opened that post with the question, so if you missed it I'd say that's your comprehension, not my writing. I've put it in bold here so you can't just ignore it again (see my comment earlier on people reading what they want to read ;) )
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    Aaah, the "listen-by date" argument, you have to drop all music over x years old in order to listen to stuff that's on current release.

It's a shit argument.

If you were alive when all over the wallowed-over music was around and have half an ear you quickly find that so much modern stuff is just a re-hash of what came before (in the same way that a lot of the wallowed-over was not of itself entirely original.

I will on occasion click on links posted by FBers but I end up hearng either something that's a re-hash or just a horrible noise. Why would I want to listen to either just to be on-trend?

By all means like whatever music you want to like, but if you are affected more by the date of the music than the music itself you might need to stop and have a think.
    edited January 2017
    Sporky said:

Nothing wrong with knowledge, and nothing wrong with liking music from however long ago it is. But I think there's a great deal of obsession with the 50s, 60s and 70s amongst guitarists, to the detriment of the instrument.

Yes, I see and I agree there, if you're talking about expanding what one can do with a guitar. Although Adrian Belew did some pretty amazing things in the 70s, and the Tom Verlaine / Richard Lloyd intertwining guitars thing still amazes me.

Edit: but then on 99% of the videos I've seen for the BOSS SY-300 guitar synth, I hear people playing pentatonic lines which is really not the point of the device I hope.