'Casper' My favourite PRS.

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7083
Has to be my favourite PRS guitar of all time and part of the reason I bought a Navarro a few years back myself.

So what's your favourite PRS? 'Famous' or otherwise

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't think there are that many 'famous' PRS guitars TBH (Carlos Santana's are probably the most well known). My favourite none-famous PRS is the McCarty. Love 'em....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    edited July 2016

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited August 2013
    The Sovereign http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwsproductions/8239340670 Ah it won't post from my phone. :-(
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Adam_MD said:
    Ah it won't post from my phone. :-( 
    I don't think it's due to your phone, the link is to the page, not to the actual photo. :)
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27590
    I'm not sure I've ever actually seen it, but a satin, chrome hardware, open black 'bucker Singlecut Trem would be acceptable. Preferably no inlays at all.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Thanks Paul
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7083
    The huge downside to PRS for me is the 'birds'. I'd have to agree with the Sporkster on this- no inlays or just dots would be perfect.

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Thanks for putting this discussion up, I've been told that PRS pickups sound Hi-Fi and toneless, well that is put well & truly to rest now.

What is happening with the switching, and especially what is the 'sweet switch' ?
    That is an amazing range of great tones.

Hey Bucket, very nice looking Mira there, love the wood grain.

stonevibe;13415" said:
    The huge downside to PRS for me is the 'birds'. I'd have to agree with the Sporkster on this- no inlays or just dots would be perfect.
    My favourite PRSi are always the simple ones. Either solid colours or light flame with moons. They just have a well made class about them.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    stonevibe said:
    The huge downside to PRS for me is the 'birds'.
    Same here, but they do plenty of models with dots or (my favourite) moons.

Adam_MD said:
    My favourite PRSi are always the simple ones. Either solid colours or light flame with moons. They just have a well made class about them. 

Exactly.

What is happening with the switching, and especially what is the 'sweet switch' ?
    The switching is a 5-way rotary switch (where the 'tone control' is) which gives a variety of combinations, all hum-cancelling. The standard settings are neck humbucker, inner single coils in parallel, inner single coils in series, outer single coils in parallel, bridge humbucker. (The very earliest models were slightly different, but I can't remember exactly how.) There are now a lot of models with a standard 3-way toggle switch and a push-pull coil split using a normal tone control as well.

The 'sweet switch' - which you only get on the rotary-switch models - is a small tone circuit that's supposed to simulate the sound of a long guitar cable and gives a particular midrange character, a bit like (but much more subtle than) rolling the tone control right down.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'd like to pick up a mid '80s PRS like this someday (there is one on EBay for silly money at the moment) as they seemed to be a lot nicer in terms of simplicity back then.

I know Big Norm is a fan of them and I had a few friends back when I lived in London that swore by them.

My Navarro is a great guitar, I don't use it often as I aways find it hard to dial in amp wise. Probably because I'm just a luddite and used to the other two big US companies when it comes to dialling in amps.

Pity PRS love the bling so much, as I really do like the look of their 'Plain Jane' models a lot more than the usual flamey stuff they seem to love outputting. 

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9987
    tFB Trader
    I have a strange and unusual craving ... ever since seeing that Bigsby equipped PRSse One on MR ... I have quite fancied one. Yes I know I am a convicted PRS hater ... but that has none of the traits I dislike ... and is positively Gibson like. Not fussed about the new Korina ones ... but I keep eying the e bay ads ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• jimmydjimmyd Frets: 60
    Those custom 24s look cracking in white...
    I have a strange and unusual craving ... ever since seeing that Bigsby equipped PRSse One on MR ... I have quite fancied one. Yes I know I am a convicted PRS hater ... but that has none of the traits I dislike ... and is positively Gibson like. Not fussed about the new Korina ones ... but I keep eying the e bay ads ...
    That'll be my SE One and the idea was knocking around my head for ages, I just had to wait for Jooky to sell me all his old tat!

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I seem to be in a minority here in that I really like the birds and flame tops. I'm not a huge fan of quilted tops or what I think of as blingy gold hardware. I'd happily have a plain model tho and it's just about getting the balance right. I saw some cheap se Navarro's the other day that had me tempted but I think a Santana is next for me as I haven't had one yet...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    jimmyd said:
    Those custom 24s look cracking in white...
    I agree.

Just would prefer it without the birds as they are too fancy for my taste, just this was the plainest PRS I could buy at the time and I like JA, so it wasn't an issue with it being a 'signature' model as I grew up listening to the band as a teenager.

Here is my one next to my R7. 

Mr Navarro has a plain black one of these and I like that one too.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'd love an R7 to go with my goldtop CE, they're my perfect les paul.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751

Hey Bucket, very nice looking Mira there, love the wood grain.

It's not mine but I'd love a Mira one day!

I don't have any actual PRSes (used to have an SE Soapbar which I kind of regret selling) but I do have a Tokai PR100, a very, very nice Japanese copy of a Custom 24. Great guitar, and I got it dirt cheap - it cost about a grand new, and I got it for a few hundred quid less than a new (and far inferior) SE Custom 24. It also has my favourite spec combination - 24 frets, dot inlays and a fixed bridge. And it's a nice colour. Here it is:

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom