Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Going wireless

What's Hot
Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

Do any of you guys use a wireless system for gigs? I inherited an old system from work that was used for presentations and conferences but I can't use it as it uses the old VHF frequencies. Any recommendations for a sub £100 system?

Also I've seen a few around that seem to have a fixed frequency, does this mean that they are single channel? Won't that be a problem if somebody nearby is using a similar device?

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    Line 6 G10 is just over your budget, but you don't need batteries and it sounds excellent. 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1259
    I've got an AKG WMS 40 Mini which is a very simple single fixed channel analog system and have been using it for both pub gigs and the odd slightly larger (festival, bike rally etc) event quite happily for going on for three years now with no problems. Unfeasibly good for the money and the TX batteries are last for ages and are universally available (standard AA) so you're unlikely to ever get caught out that way.

If you can live with a single fixed channel it's an absolute steal at 70 quid or so...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • I use an AKG one, with what they call a little "bug" that plugs into your guitar to transmit to the receiver (as opposed to a body pack transmitter) but I can't seem to find a link online - maybe they don't make them anymore....
    Can't remember price, but I think £100 or so sounds about right for what I paid...
    I have four channels on mine, so I can select a different channel if they is someone else with a wireless kit also running.
    No problems with mine, had an inexpensive Samson kit before this one and I found no great difference between them.

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited January 2017
    JayGee said:
    I've got an AKG WMS 40 Mini which is a very simple single fixed channel analog system and have been using it for both pub gigs and the odd slightly larger (festival, bike rally etc) event quite happily for going on for three years now with no problems. Unfeasibly good for the money and the TX batteries are last for ages and are universally available (standard AA) so you're unlikely to ever get caught out that way.

If you can live with a single fixed channel it's an absolute steal at 70 quid or so...

That's the one I was looking at. How does the fixed channel hold up have you ever had any issues with it? I guess AKG must make a limited run in each freq?

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24264
    I've got a Smoothhound and I'm very impressed with it. Good sound, easy to use.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited January 2017
    Another recommendation for the Line 6 G10 Relay. Can be found for £140 or less new. No batteries, literally just plug 'n play, up to 8 hrs playing time, no 'pop' when plugged into your guitar, no batteries, auto-sleep & auto wakeup to conserve power.  I love mine!   <3

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I've got the smooth hound one. I use it on my belt as opposed to stuck on the guitar (looks awful on a Strat IMO). Works great. 
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Ive had the akg mini and i currently have the smoothhound one. Both are great but thenbug style of the smooth hound is a real pain...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Jetfire said:
    Ive had the akg mini and i currently have the smoothhound one. Both are great but thenbug style of the smooth hound is a real pain...
    Got a smoothhound too - bug works on some guitars but not others. I like the fact you can convert it to belt using the adapter on their website tho...
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701

Also I've seen a few around that seem to have a fixed frequency, does this mean that they are single channel? Won't that be a problem if somebody nearby is using a similar device?

Being digital they use channel number as well as frequency. If there's anyone on the same channel then it will interfere. It happened to me once at an open mic night, but never with my own band.

If you want to buy one cheap I have a Samson Airline AG1. It's UHF and channel E1. The AG1 is the right angled plug version rather than the inline AF1 Strat style version. They go on eBay for £80. You can have it for £50 inc postage
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    AKG WMS mini here too, it's great. Never had a problem with it, batteries last ages and its just hassle free. Plug in, hook the transmitter on my guitar strap and play.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    How does the reciever on the AKG get powered? Ideally it would be standard 9v centre negative but that doesn't see common on wireless systems ( IIRC the line 6 and the smooth hound require sone kind of adaptor to run them off a 9v supply). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    How does the reciever on the AKG get powered? Ideally it would be standard 9v centre negative but that doesn't see common on wireless systems ( IIRC the line 6 and the smooth hound require sone kind of adaptor to run them off a 9v supply). 
    I run my old Line6 G50 system from one of the outlets on my Voodoo Labs Pedal Power... its not set to anything whizzy IIRC.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:
    I run my old Line6 G50 system from one of the outlets on my Voodoo Labs Pedal Power... its not set to anything whizzy IIRC.
    That's good, seems like they thought that through ( and then still went for a mini USB on the G10). 
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Hmmmmm what too do? I really don't like the idea of a fix freq unit as 2 of the guys in the band are already using (£220 line 6) wireless units. Plus most of the gigs we play are festivals so there's lots of wireless signalling going about. Seems I'm going to have dig deeper into my pockets or just stick to leads.

Hmmmmm what too do? I really don't like the idea of a fix freq unit as 2 of the guys in the band are already using (£220 line 6) wireless units. Plus most of the gigs we play are festivals so there's lots of wireless signalling going about. Seems I'm going to have dig deeper into my pockets or just stick to leads.
    You can get a new Line 6 G30 for £139; based on a couple of YouTube videos their performance is apparently exactly the same as the more expensive Line 6 units, you just need the mod everyone seems to do of putting a rubber band around the belt pack to stop the battery cover flying off. 

I've been thinking about the wireless thing sufficiently long that I'm still regretting not buying a Smooth Hound at show price (£129 ) in Birmingham last February. I'm sure I can wait another few weeks and see if they do the same this year. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9527
    Mate, the G10 is simple to use and sounds mega
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been thinking about the wireless thing sufficiently long that I'm still regretting not buying a Smooth Hound at show price (£129 ) in Birmingham last February. I'm sure I can wait another few weeks and see if they do the same this year. 
    We all make mistakes Eric! We always offer a show price but with component prices in USD and now having to collect VAT for the govt we're doing well to hold the price at £149. I would say though with better sound quality, double the battery life and much more reliable wireless connection it shouldn't be a difficult decision :) ... even if (according to @Jetfire) my design is "fugly" and (according to @not_the_dj) it looks "awful" on a strat.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Get a used Line 6 G30, can pick them up for £80 upwards.
    #thebatesmotelband