Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Going wireless

What's Hot

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I've been thinking about the wireless thing sufficiently long that I'm still regretting not buying a Smooth Hound at show price (£129 ) in Birmingham last February. I'm sure I can wait another few weeks and see if they do the same this year. 
    We all make mistakes Eric! We always offer a show price but with component prices in USD and now having to collect VAT for the govt we're doing well to hold the price at £149. I would say though with better sound quality, double the battery life and much more reliable wireless connection it shouldn't be a difficult decision :) ... even if (according to @Jetfire) my design is "fugly" and (according to @not_the_dj) it looks "awful" on a strat.
    Ha ha, have a LOL. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    I've got the smooth hound one. I use it on my belt as opposed to stuck on the guitar (looks awful on a Strat IMO). Works great. 
    Friend of mine endorses these - he raves about them. He's a serious player who generally knows what he's taking about - so I'm inclined to believe they're really good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I've got the smooth hound one. I use it on my belt as opposed to stuck on the guitar (looks awful on a Strat IMO). Works great. 
    Friend of mine endorses these - he raves about them. He's a serious player who generally knows what he's taking about - so I'm inclined to believe they're really good.
    They are. I gig with mine, it works great and I'm loving having the freedom to move about.....I just prefer to use if with  an adapter and have it on my belt as opposed to stuck on the guitar. I tried it that way for a few gigs but it made it a pain swapping guitars between songs  as the battery door kept staying on the guitar when I pulled the unit off the guitar, but now the micro suction pad isn't suctioning anymore! (yes i'be followed the manual advice and washed it). 

Anyway it can be used both ways and I like it on my belt with a short cable to the unit so it's all good. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited January 2017
    @Col_Decker (or anyone!) pimpage alert:  I'll be selling a  Samson Airline AG1 with a right-angle shape transmitter for £70 in full working order and good cosmetic condition.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andertons have got this in the 2nd hand section ... they say it's ex display...

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/SH-198-1523/second-hand/second-hand-line-6-wireless-guitar-system-g30

Personally, I have a preference for the G50... but my wife uses the G30 for her bass.

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Also love my G10 - had a G30 before but you spend on batteries whether rechargeable or not. G10 has a much longer time between charges and I use it at home, rehearsal and gigs!
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited January 2017

Had my finger on the trigger for a T.Bone system for £108 until I noticed that the input for the transmitter pack needed a mini-xlr lead not a standard jack. Way to go T.Bone, make a system that no one can use - good business planning.

So I went for the Andertons Line 6 unit posted above that was 2nd for £99. Already sold. Such is life.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• Had my finger on the trigger for a T.Bone system for £108 until I noticed that the input for the transmitter pack needed a mini-xlr lead not a standard jack. Way to go T.Bone, make a system that no one can use - good business planning.

So I went for the Andertons Line 6 unit posted above that was 2nd for £99. Already sold. Such is life.

Wow... that was quick. I think it only appeared on their site this morning.
  • I can add a +1 for the @SmoothHoundUK unit. It's a fantastic piece of kit from a British designer.
    A lot of love for the Smooth Hound, who am I to argue? Smooth Hound ... engage.

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    The other one is the Xvive U2 which is the Thomas Blug approved one. It's a bug transmitter and a bug receiver on rechargeable batteries I think. From £113, attractively small compared to some. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I have been wireless for a while. IMHO the Line 6 G70 is the best option out there at the moment, but it is quite expensive (especially if you have 3 transmitters for foot switching between guitars).

On a budget the G10 is awesome. Very easy to use and sounds great (I use one at home to cut down on the cable clutter with young children) only downside is the receiver is micro USB rather than a more pedal board friendly 9v centre negative like it's big brother, but it's not too inconvenient, and I'd still rather use that for a gig rather than a cable.
  • @Cyberlawyer I'm just wondering if you've got any experience comparing the G70 to the G50? I'm a long-term G50 user that's wondering if the G70 offers any major improvements.

Thanks

• @ Strat_a_tat_tat

I also have a G50 that is still in regular use (mainly with accoustic). In terms of sound quality there isn't anything really in it (or if there is it is so subtle that it is lost in a live setting). The big benefit of the G70 is improved features including:

- More pedal board friendly receiver (no aerials).
    - Ability to use standard leads with transmitters (the 'official' leads still have a locking collar)
    - Decent (but not awesome) tuner built into the receiver.
    - ability to connect three transmitters to one receiver and toggle between them with the foot switch (as well as a setting to boost the gain by varying degrees between receivers to ballance pickup outputs and route each guitar output differently).

SmoothHound arrived today. What a great choice, well done me. 

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    I have been wireless for a while. IMHO the Line 6 G70 is the best option out there at the moment, but it is quite expensive (especially if you have 3 transmitters for foot switching between guitars).

On a budget the G10 is awesome. Very easy to use and sounds great (I use one at home to cut down on the cable clutter with young children) only downside is the receiver is micro USB rather than a more pedal board friendly 9v centre negative like it's big brother, but it's not too inconvenient, and I'd still rather use that for a gig rather than a cable.
    It really is no biggie because you can easily buy an inexpensive adapter - I believe some were shown in a previous G10 Relay thread.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    SmoothHound arrived today. What a great choice, well done me. 
    Good choice.   Mine has done a ton of big and small gigs and works great.   
    The only issue I have is making sure I don't lose the transmitter.     At some point I'll probably buy a second one and if they ever make a body pack version instead of a bug then I'll grab it.  
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31571
    Voxman said:
    I have been wireless for a while. IMHO the Line 6 G70 is the best option out there at the moment, but it is quite expensive (especially if you have 3 transmitters for foot switching between guitars).

It really is no biggie because you can easily buy an inexpensive adapter - I believe some were shown in a previous G10 Relay thread.  
    @Voxman any idea where? I've done a search and had a bit of a google, no joy yet.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31571
    Thanks for that, it'll still be 9v though, won't it?