Marshall code 25

What's Hot
Hello hivemind,

I've been lucky enough to win a code 25 amp and I'm pretty chuffed about this, given that I've never won anything before and I'm a life long marshall player.

But I very recently picked up a blackstar idcore 10 as a practice amp in the house as I use an 2204 800 head/cab for my main rig so having a little amp is more practical in the house.

Has anyone had experience with either the blackstar or the code 25? I really like how you can download patches on the blackstar, does the marshall have this function? (I'm unaware what the marshall can do really)

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Yes you can download presets directly to CODE. You'll need to use the Google Chrome browser though as currently it's the only browser which supports Web MIDI. Alternatively you can sync them to Gateway and get them onto the amp that way.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited January 2017
    Many congrats on your win.  There's no contest - the CODE is way superior and in a different class to the IDCore 10.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    I've spent some time with both and yeah, the Code is better. I think the Marshall models in it are better than the generic stuff (The JTM45 is great i reckon) but it takes a bit of fiddling - The pre loaded patches are a bit ott.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I got myself a Code 25 a couple of weeks ago after owning an ID:Core 10 for nearly 2 years. I instantly found the Code to be a big step up from the Blackstar on all fronts. I'm delighted with it.

I couldn't download patches to the Blackstar and tried a fair few times, I don't think that function is on the 10 model (but I could be wrong). The Code sounds much better to me and there are so many options it's mental. Take a bit of time to set up some presets and you should love it. I found the stock ones are pretty wild in most cases - you can easily overwrite 20 of them and not miss them I'm sure.

I agree with @nick79 that the JTM45 model is superb, it's my favourite but the likes of the Plexi and Bluesbreaker are also great.

I find it much easier using the phone app to edit and save patches than the buttons on the amp, it's worth using the bluetooth if you've got an iPhone or Android. I had a bit of a wrestle to get the phone paired but it's worked flawlessly since. Pair it once and then it'll remember it from then on. A guy on the Marshall forum also developed a PC editor which I've downloaded but haven't used yet. It seems brilliant though. It's here if you want a look at it https//marshallcode.tools/pc-editor/

I had a thread on here lately about my NAD with the Code which might be useful too. http://http//www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/92733/nad-marshall-code-25#latest

So far after a couple of weeks of use I've only got a couple of small beefs with the Code... 1. The power cable is a little bit too short (noticeably shorter then the Blackstar) which makes it a bit tough to have it where I want to play it, but it's not exactly a problem. 2. I find there's too much bottom end so have to reduce the bass, but I'm going to set up Base presets to use and will dial this out when I do so. 3. There are so many settings to play with that it's easy to get lost in them or just simply spend ages messing around rather than playing guitar.

I'm over the moon with it to be honest though, but I've seen so many negative comments that I was wondering if I was missing something. I'm not, I love it.

Andy
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Just to add...

It's a piece of cake to use as a Bluetooth speaker too, and the USB out into my laptop works perfectly and the backing track function is also very useful.

Come to think of it, for the money I paid (they seem to be £139 everywhere now) it's an absolute bargain.

Andy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What do they sound like when playing a mp3 or recorded track compared to the ID?
    www.karltone.co.uk    Dealer in Valves and bits and bobs   www.facebook.com/karltonevalves