N(B?)GD

What's Hot
I bought this last week, it arrived today. I'm happy.

Squier VI guitar/bass/thing it's tuned E-E as normal, but an octave lower than standard guitar tuning (Technically making this a new (bass) guitar day).
The switches are on/off for each pickup plus a "strangle switch" that cuts some of the bass to give a more guitary tone. 
I had one a couple of years ago & sold it to fund something else, I saw this for a decent price & thought "why not?".

Fit and finish are generally good. There are a couple of minor niggles that I'll address soon- the low E string is floppy as a very floppy thing. It's a known and oft discussed issue with the stock strings. Higher guage strings needed all round, I've ordered a set with a 0.96 E which should be a big improvement on the 0.84 on there currently.

That string is also a bit close to the edge of the board as you get highup the neck- I might try to realign the neck a tiny bit by loosening the bolts, straightening the angle and then retightening. It's OK as it is, but I think "spirited" playing might see the occasional note pushed off the edge. 

Generally I'm pleased with it- it's a really good sounding instrument & one that always seems to encourage new ideas.
Here are the obligatory pictures:

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/stimpsonslostson/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20170111_074321217_HDR_zpsfd6dezbj.jpg

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/stimpsonslostson/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20170111_074337673_zps7tmzeneb.jpg

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/stimpsonslostson/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20170111_074328658_zpsubsuzhpb.jpg
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I really like these, I'd recommend the StayTrem Bridge if you want to use the trem at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I really like these, I'd recommend the StayTrem Bridge if you want to use the trem at all.
    I've always thought having a trem on a bass was a bit like installing an exhaust on a settee myself..
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • One of these has been at the top of my to buy list for ages, how much was it if you don't mind me asking? Feel free to PM if you don't want it public.

Let us know how you get on with the thicker strings too.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    I've had a pair of these for ages - excellent VFM. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Do you play it as a bass or play chords as on a guitar? Looks interesting. The bridge, as always on that type of guitar, is the weak link. Sounds like you are enjoying playing it. Continued enjoyment playing it is my wish to you.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• You CAN play chords on it, but anything below an A sounds muddy.
    What's great is playing high up the neck and getting the bass to ring too (playing the "a shaped" E chord at the 7th fret but letting the low E ring too if that makes sense). 
    Arpeggios sound great too... it's all about experimenting with the unique sounds available. 

I confess that I don't use the trem much- I'm a long time hardtail player so have never really learned to use one. It looks cool though! I'll probably end up tightening up the screw to stop it floating and play it without.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    Cue Beatles and Cure riffs

• Quick update: 
    My LaBella thick strings arrived & got fitted today. (I also oiled the fretboard, removed the film from the guard etc). 

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
    The low E no longer flops around & there's a noticeable improvement in the tone too- sounds fuller & more like a bass. 
    With a wee truss tweak there are no more buzzing frets (or rattles from the bridge).

Worth every penny of the £40+ the strings cost. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3620
    I've no experience of the VI but it certainly has the look!

Lovely.