What parts for rewiring my Sheraton.

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4671
I'm rewiring my Sheraton - first time doing this so I thought I'd start off with something easy -  with new pots, wiring, switch etc.  Pickup are Stormy Mondays acquired here last week.

Question is, what pots should I be buying - recommended make and type - as I don't want to order the wrong bits.  Presumably 500k but beyond that..............?  I will probably go for 50s wiring too, if that makes any difference.

Ta.
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• shugzshugz Frets: 768
    edited January 2017
    If going US/Imperial sized pots then you'll need to open out the holes on your guitar to accommodate these.

Good CTS or Bourns 500k pots, Sprague OD caps or better/ more expensive ones (yes ICBM the expensive ones sound the same....), Switchcraft switch and jack and use good quality braid throughout. 50s wiring or modern up to you, depends if you like keeping more treble when turning volume down. Use leaded solder as well as ROHS stuff worse than blu-tak.

I'm making some ES looms later this week, they are a little more complex than a Les Paul harness but fun to do.  Best of luck with your one.

Cheers 
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    If you want to make an extra one....................
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    @rlw Shugz has made me two ES looms in the last few weeks, highly recommended. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    shugz said:

yes ICBM the expensive ones sound the same...
    :)

shugz said:

Use leaded solder as well as ROHS stuff worse than blu-tak.
    Added-silver lead-free - which you can buy in Maplins if you need to - is fine, if a bit more expensive. It's just the cheap lead-free - which is little more than plain tin, really - which is crap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Thanks @ICBM might get some for a demo. Think the stuff I've used in the past was the cheap horrible stuff....kinda put me off for life! :)

@rlw if I can help just holler but honestly wasn't trying a hustle. There are fun to do and if you want to give it a go yourself go for it. I'll help with any advice I have as I'm sure other tech types here will as well.

Cheers
    Hugh

P.s useless info but cap tested a LOAD of old 50s and 60s caps today. Amazingly zero drift on 95% of them. The ones not in range were very very close. Tried some ODs and whilst still close, nowhere near as tight on the value they were representing. Doesn't make them bad, just learned something myself doing that.

www.proudhoney.com

Kylef said:
    @rlw Shugz has made me two ES looms in the last few weeks, highly recommended. 
    Thanks very much @Kylef really appreciate that. Lovely geetars they went into as well, thanks a lot for the orders.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

I have say that I'm not convinced that it's going be fun and I was quite serious about making another one.....
    If i can help just let me know.

Sent a PM earlier @rlw :)

Cheers 
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    I came here to suggest you speak to @shugz ;

im too late
    shaunm said:
    I came here to suggest you speak to @shugz ;

im too late
    Indeed  :)
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    You're likely to run into problems fitting full sized CTS pots through your Sheraton's F holes.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    shugz said:
    If going US/Imperial sized pots then you'll need to open out the holes on your guitar to accommodate these.

Good CTS or Bourns 500k pots, Sprague OD caps or better/ more expensive ones (yes ICBM the expensive ones sound the same....), Switchcraft switch and jack and use good quality braid throughout. 50s wiring or modern up to you, depends if you like keeping more treble when turning volume down. Use leaded solder as well as ROHS stuff worse than blu-tak.

I'm making some ES looms later this week, they are a little more complex than a Les Paul harness but fun to do.  Best of luck with your one.

Cheers 
    Hugh
    I bought a @shugz loom for my Epi Dot - my luthier was impressed. I got some Gibson '57s cheap on eBay and a TonePros bridge. Great guitar now ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Thank you @Fretwired glad it's still working out for you. That was a while ago now I think too. 

Think you got a pre-Shugzloomz (RIP) one as well...it'll be worth a cool 24p if you keep it a few more years :)

Cheers 
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Ive admitted defeat rewiring an Epi Studio Pro, New pickups and complete rewire, with a second tone, (Studio has single volume and tone) full size CTS pots are a disaster to try and get in, got it all sorted after about two hours of fiddling faffing and swearing, to find no output as the earth on the output socket had broken, during all the manoevering, of course I removed everything to find this.......mini CTS pots are in the mail for round two!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Can be a fiddly job, sorry to hear it hasnt gone well.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Fiddly? Why on earth there is no rear access is beyond me....Lucille has rear access.....mmmmmm........that sounds pervy.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I may be getting the saw out.....
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    The most traumatic guitar-based thing in my life ever was rewiring a Sheraton.

I'm not a great solderer/DIYer anyway, and it took me something like 12 hours of stress, sweat and failed attempts. I vowed to only ever pay someone else to do it if I needed to rewire a semi again!

That said, the results were fantastic - Tonepros bridge and 57 classics and CTS posts and switch - sounded *amazing* 

(but never, ever again) 
    Red ones are better. 
    I going to start dismantling this weekend so I will see what size pots are in there.   I've a feeling that the new tuners - chrome Grovers - new bridge and tailpiece - Tonespros - and new pups - Stormy Mondays -  will make a huge difference and I'm quite prepared for a a bit of swearing and a bit of grief too.  

I've never rewired a guitar before and haven't soldered anything except my hot water tank for about thirty years but I have a fancy new soldering iron and 64 years of learning patience to fall back on.

rlw said:
    I going to start dismantling this weekend so I will see what size pots are in there.   I've a feeling that the new tuners - chrome Grovers - new bridge and tailpiece - Tonespros - and new pups - Stormy Mondays -  will make a huge difference and I'm quite prepared for a a bit of swearing and a bit of grief too.  

I've never rewired a guitar before and haven't soldered anything except my hot water tank for about thirty years but I have a fancy new soldering iron and 64 years of learning patience to fall back on.

go for it, glad you're giving it a go. If you need any help just let me know.

They aren't easy jobs but do get better/ easier with practice. Hope it goes well

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com