What parts for rewiring my Sheraton.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7011
    tFB Trader
    On the original Sheraton II I have been known to cut away the block on the treble side of the bridge pickup and feed everything through the hole. Modern Gibson ES-335s have no block there for the same reason.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    On the original Sheraton II I have been known to cut away the block on the treble side of the bridge pickup and feed everything through the hole. Modern Gibson ES-335s have no block there for the same reason.
    Aha............
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Love it. No mercy! 
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    CTS full size pots will fit through the f-hole on Gibsons. It's close though but those should go through ok. Not 100% on Epis though.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9592
    There's a wide variation in Epi f-holes if you look at a few photos. My old Sheraton had quite svelte ones, later ones look to be a little cruder-looking in comparison (wider).
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Success this afternoon on my 335 Studio dot and it all works! Much, much easier with CTS mini pots, full size fit through the f holes at the widest point, but minis made it a doddle, still took me a couple of hours to solder it all up and installl, what made a huge difference was making a cardboard replocal of the hole spacing on the guitar to get the wire runs right, then I only had to solder the pick up and bridge earth wires with the whole mess resting on top if the guitar....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    I'm hoping that my Sheraton has the more capacious f-holes having ordered full size CTS pots.
    Still figuring out how to trim the wires to length once it's all in though.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    What wires? Sorry not trying to be a smart Alec I'm just curious. My advice would be to work off-board using a template then install.

I make my looms like this these days and the fit/ go in well:

http://i.imgur.com/E83KwSx.jpg

Good luck :)

Cheers 
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    CTS went in my Dot, bit of a squeeze but went in OK. As ^ I made a sort of cardboard box that sat above the positions so I could get the lengths sorted right. Wish mine was as neat s Hughs! First time around is slow, easy after that. Tubing & jack dowel on wire for the fishing.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    I did the same as shugz with the template, made life soo much easier......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• rossirossi Frets: 1703
    If its any help to anyone I made gradual upgrades to my Dot  SE as follows .Gotoh stop tail .I then restrung it and played it .sounded a bit more resonant . Tonerider Rocksongs nickel covered pickups  wired by cut and join .Great improvement .Gotoh bridge .A bit more resonance .Grover deluxe tuners  .These added a lot more resonance than I imagined they would ,Still kept the  same strings on .A complete fret level and neck adjustment  while keeping same strings followed by a nut job .The guitar now played like a Gibson  335 I tried at the same time as the Epi rather than an Epiphone ..When a wire fell off the switch  I finally rewired it using  CTS pots and orange drops.i later sold it .I was surprised just how much more sound depth came from the bridge ,tail piece and  tuners.I kept the same strings on to keep a constant .The Rocksongs transformed the sound and the fret level and string height transformed it splayability .
    In other words I just kept the wooden bit.................