Rosewood boards....a question

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960

What's the deal with the black look on the neck.....I thought typical rosewood was more reddish brown?

PS what's the going rate these days for an used 2014?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132058470843?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think it's just the photo.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14224
    edited January 2017 tFB Trader
    There is not a consistent definitive colour as such to rosewod in that 10 fingerboard blanks might have a similar texture, yet still be slightly different - Looks no better or worse than many others I've seen - Looks to have some 'streaking' in it, but nothing untoward
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    Thanks guys  :)  and a "going rate" for a 2014?
    tae be or not tae be
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14224
    tFB Trader
    For a private sale I think its a touch on the high side - Quick Google search and Peach currently showing  a new one on their site for not much more 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22786

"Extra dark" rosewood generally seems to be seen as quite desirable, the Fender Custom Shop certainly use it as a selling point.  I think a dark board with reddish streaks looks really good, personally.  And it has seems to have fairly nice tight grain, although the pictures aren't the greatest.

I wish I could answer the question about the going rate.  Before the big price hike, and before Gibson pretty much discontinued the Juniors and Specials as standard Custom Shop models, they were selling new for about £1,700 to £1,900 I think.  I don't know what that translates to in secondhand values.  As much as you're prepared to pay I guess.