Traveling overseas with rosewood guitars, any recent experiences?

nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
edited January 2017 in Guitar
I know there's been a few threads on this forum about the recent changes in CITES regulations for movement of instruments with any rosewood overseas.  I realise it's early doors since this has come in to force but wondered if anyone has had any experience with importing/exporting or travelling with their own guitar since this has come in.  Was there a noticeable increase in interest in the instrument from customs and actual stringent checks on the documentation or does it seem to not be a noticeable issue since it is only newly imposed?

Any experience in this or the paperwork/timescales needed for it would be very welcome.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    If you are travelling with the actual guitar, as hand luggage so to speak, then there should be no issues and no need for any additional paperwork from CITES - if you have any proof of purchase then it won't do any harm to have a copy with you especially if purchased before 2/1/17 - serial number on the receipt will also be helpful

For importing/exporting within the EU again no issues - only when you start to send outside the EU will you need any additional CITES paperwork

Not sure if anyone has had any hassles at the red or green channel, but from the directive I'm seeing there should be no issues
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1215
    tFB Trader
    I sent a brand new built guitar to USA this week. UPS picked up at 6:45pm on Monday and delivered to its destination in PA noon on Weds, zipped through customs no issues
    Although there was no Rosewood on said guitar the customs forms were only marked "New Guitar in Case"  no mention of Rosewood, but they're not to know, no delays, no issues, no trouble, no one cared!!

I think Ours & Overseas Customs have more to worry about than a slice of Rosewood on a fingerboard.
  • xinkaixinkai Frets: 44
    I brought in a Yamaha AES1500 from Singapore through London Heathrow, nobody seemed to even care that i had a guitar on me. Guitar was checked-in, in its hard case and shrink wrap around the case. 

If they did check, the AES1500 has a rosewood fingerboard and i had no paperwork on me. 

I think if you're just bringing one (or maybe two) guitars of your own they won't really bother, because afterall we are allowed to bring instruments with rosewood for personal use. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    I'm sure a single guitar for your personal use won't be subject to any scrutiny.

I'll be visiting my son in the US in the spring and may be looking around a bit. ;)