Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Rat clone!

What's Hot

Comments

• I've got a Mooer and one made by Thorpy inside a Rat 2 case with the LM308, and switcahble Fat Rat/YDR/Reutz mods.  To be honest I only use the normal Rat 2 mode on both of them.

The Thorpy has a nicer feel to play through and more balanced highs.  The Mooer is a bit more congested in the mids and can go a bit more cutting in the high end - it's good for the price though.  I've not played one but I understand the newer Chinese Rats are also a bit more on the bright/cutting side, judging from clips at least.  I prefer the fatter sounding types (so closer to vintage spec).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    ^ Does the Mooer have a Rat 2 setting? I just assumed the two Mooer settings were regular rat and turbo rat (but i haven't seen a schematic).
  • I thought it was Rat 2/Turbo Rat.  I may be wrong.  
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    I may also be wrong :D I haven't compared it to the real thing (either the regular rat or the rat 2... or the turbo rat).
  • Not used the Fat Rat. I really liked the Deucetone when I had one five years ago but the prices have skyrocketed in recent years. I think I picked mine up for £55. They don't have the LM308 chip in it. Stack really nicely and loads of tone options. 
    Yep! that price... what was it like at lower gain overdriven stuff? I love the fuzzy high gain stuff that a rat is known for but never tweaked it enough at the lower gain side of things when I had my Jam Rattler.  
    Pretty good. The Deucetone stacked into the Tim at the time was great. Solid pedal weightwise too, which is why the postage prices are high on Ebay for them. 

• Not used the Fat Rat. I really liked the Deucetone when I had one five years ago but the prices have skyrocketed in recent years. I think I picked mine up for £55. They don't have the LM308 chip in it. Stack really nicely and loads of tone options. 
    Yep! that price... what was it like at lower gain overdriven stuff? I love the fuzzy high gain stuff that a rat is known for but never tweaked it enough at the lower gain side of things when I had my Jam Rattler.  
    Pretty good. The Deucetone stacked into the Tim at the time was great. Solid pedal weightwise too, which is why the postage prices are high on Ebay for them. 
    I wonder what it would be like stacked into a RYRA Klone and TS-808?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Not used the Fat Rat. I really liked the Deucetone when I had one five years ago but the prices have skyrocketed in recent years. I think I picked mine up for £55. They don't have the LM308 chip in it. Stack really nicely and loads of tone options. 

MUSHY?
  • Sassafras said:
    Not used the Fat Rat. I really liked the Deucetone when I had one five years ago but the prices have skyrocketed in recent years. I think I picked mine up for £55. They don't have the LM308 chip in it. Stack really nicely and loads of tone options. 

MUSHY?
    Ha! probably!
  • Yes, mushy. Get something with headroom. The Tim was ideal and is still my favourite end of the chain stacker. Everythign into that just sounded better. 

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I've had a few rats, including the reissue with the 308...my favourite rat of all was the white one I had...which is a regular rat 2 made for Japanese market.

as far as clones go...there are two that I've always wanted 1. The Earthbound Audio Iron Pig; and, 2. The Dunwich Volthrower
  • Anyone tried a solo rat? 
  • I've gone back and forth with pedals so often, but I've never sold my Rat 2 and I will never sell it. It's the first pedal I bought.
  • I've gone back and forth with pedals so often, but I've never sold my Rat 2 and I will never sell it. It's the first pedal I bought.
    US Rat 2? 
  • Over at the other place a chap who works for Proco was saying the Fat RAT is identical to vintage specs- except for the chip. Although the chip in the Father RAT is socketed so you can swap out for a 308 if that's your bag.
    I was quite impressed with the sound of the Blakemore ROUS in demo's, would like to give one a go.

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    danban said:
    I use the You Dirty Rat and it is a superb pedal!
    Yep, my favourite of the Rat range. But I play AC30's, so the rounder tone works better in those brighter amps.

Never liked the Turbo Rat.
    US Rat 2? 

Chinese. Still sounds great to me.
    US Rat 2? 

Chinese. Still sounds great to me.
    cheers!

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26746
    I have a stock Rat 2 without 308 that's been my stock dirtfor almost everything I've ever recorded. 

I built a Fuzzdog kit with 308 plus YDR and Ruetz switches. The regular Rat mode has a little more "grind" than the Rat 2, and the YDR is a really nice vintage-er flavour that's a lot of fun. The Ruetz mod is, in all honesty, totally pointless.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    I've owned many RAT clones and variations, but to me one of the best is still the R.Attack with the three different modes. Ridiculously cheap price as well. Just missed one on eBay that went for £23.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
     I've got an old rat 2, and also bought a mooer black secret.  The mooer black secret doesn't sound quite the same to me, but i've got to say it does a fecking excellent job at the rat sound.   Would recommend it iin a heartbeat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom