Transparent heavy OD pedal?

What's Hot
JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
Does such a thing exist that sounds good? Just wandering what was about? I love my BD2W for low to mid gain sounds but it doesn't cover the heavier side of things as well.
My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Timmy can get considerably heavier than I expected.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited January 2017
    Buffalo TD-X and the SD-1w are two that spring to mind.
    Although they may be offering more mids than you require.
    Magnetic FX Satellite in which case.
  • Good shout on the Satellite, I tried my mate's and it's fantastic - never thought about it for the heavier tones though.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Good shout on the Satellite, I tried my mate's and it's fantastic - never thought about it for the heavier tones though.
    I found it really versatile, and it stacks amazingly too. Miss mine TBH and might have to get another one.
  • Heavy overdrive and transparent, in my opinion, don't go well - they'll either mush up the amp or they'll be bright and fizzy and strident. 

I prefer to boost bass and treble a bit - but if you want something middier, try a modded tubescreamer like the visual sound route 808 - it has a bass boost that'll help you get a heavier overdrive sound but the treble roll off will let you not hurt your ears if it's into a bright amp. 

I tried a timmy at high gain into a fender deluxe and it made my ears bleed! 
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    edited January 2017
    Never see much mention of the MI crossover - might work for you? Can be a steal on ebay as I guess a bit under-rated. Great for stacking, superb clean boost, with more gain than I ever need... Things get gainier from 1:58...

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    OCD? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30906
    Thropy Gunshot!

Also a Tim, Cornish G2....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Timmy can get considerably heavier than I expected.
    This, boosted with something with a bit of mids for leads. Also - Tonefreak Severe was a heavy, clear, tight od. Wish I still had one.  
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited January 2017
    rico said:
    OCD? 
    This with an Xotic EP hitting it in the front would work
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    Timmy can get considerably heavier than I expected.
      Also - Tonefreak Severe was a heavy, clear, tight od. Wish I still had one.  
    Wasn't it just a modded guvnor (or crunchbox)?
    Timmy can get considerably heavier than I expected.
    i didn't find a timmy that heavy as a standalone od, but then i usually use it as a boost so i might not have given it a decent try (or also might be misremembering since i tend to set and forget :D).
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    @simonk @Johnnyseven I've got Simon's Satellite - I could be tempted to part with it maybe (having a Satellite and a Timmy is a luxury!)
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Distortion +
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mr_airmr_air Frets: 24
    timbuk02 said:
    Never see much mention of the MI crossover - might work for you? Can be a steal on ebay as I guess a bit under-rated. Great for stacking, superb clean boost, with more gain than I ever need... Things get gainier from 1:58...

I don't know if the Crossover Drive is considered transparrent, but it really is a great pedal that can go from clean boost to rather heavy distortion bordering fuzz. I'm really diggin' mine.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Does such a thing exist that sounds good? Just wandering what was about? I love my BD2W for low to mid gain sounds but it doesn't cover the heavier side of things as well.
    What amp you using ??

What sound or player you trying to emulate ? 
    I've never owned one personally, but Fulltone OCD seems to be the 'go to' for that sort of thing.
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 161
    Sounds really obvious but something with the same voicing as your amp.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    I like the Xotic RC with gain up full. 
  • Lebarque said:
    @simonk @Johnnyseven I've got Simon's Satellite - I could be tempted to part with it maybe (having a Satellite and a Timmy is a luxury!)
    Which do you prefer?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    edited January 2017
    Lebarque said:
    Which do you prefer?
    @Jonathanthomas83 ;;;;;IMO they are too similar to keep both, but they are subtly different. Satellite is slightly smoother with just a hint of extra mids and character + a bit better at medium gain dirt I would say (+ better graphics!). Timmy is a smidge grittier, more present, more transparent, smaller size. But I'm splitting hairs here - anyone would be happy with either. I'll probably keep my Timmy because I've had it longer and it holds some good memories. Besides, @simonk is missing his Satellite, so who am I to stand in the way of an emotional reunion / homecoming?!

Ps. To be honest I'm using my Mojo Hand Zephyr over both of them for a low gainer at present, but that's a totally different beast entirely! Interested in Hudson Broadcast, EWS Fuzzy drive and Fairfield Barbershop too.

Pps. Sorry to the OP