New Vox Stuff

What's Hot
olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
Vox have launched some new gear, there is new Amplugs, AC amps in white and most interestingly the new MV50 amps, which use a Korg Nutube in the preamp and a Class D Power section, there are 3 varieties, AC, Clean and Rock. 

I think Vox have been releasing pretty cool stuff recently. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I went from a VT20X back to a Fender Deville.

I enjoyed the VT20X especially the editor on the screen and adjusting the amps and effects in real time. Saving presets, of which there were 8 was also entirely brilliant being able to drag and drop them.

I thought that for the price is was interesting and i'm sure the bigger ones are loud enough to play live with but the whole time mine lacked any real feel. I couldn't get it to react the way my Deville does, going from clean to overdrive just on pick attack, thumping you in the stomach when you play hard etc.

What it was to me was an excellent learning tool and for a bedroom these days that's likely to have a device that will control it on screen, it's an amazing piece of kit.

Has anyone gigged one of the new series Vox amps?

The amplugs and amphones always interested me, maybe more-so now i've got the sonic equivalent of a nuclear deterrent in my living room (and another on the way at Easter for stereo madness).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Alnico said:

I enjoyed the VT20X especially the editor on the screen and adjusting the amps and effects in real time. Saving presets, of which there were 8 was also entirely brilliant being able to drag and drop them.

I thought that for the price is was interesting and i'm sure the bigger ones are loud enough to play live with but the whole time mine lacked any real feel. I couldn't get it to react the way my Deville does, going from clean to overdrive just on pick attack, thumping you in the stomach when you play hard etc.

What it was to me was an excellent learning tool and for a bedroom these days that's likely to have a device that will control it on screen, it's an amazing piece of kit.

The amplugs and amphones always interested me, maybe more-so now i've got the sonic equivalent of a nuclear deterrent in my living room (and another on the way at Easter for stereo madness).

I've been meaning to try the AV30 which looks very good but there isn't any in stock near me. 
    Alnico said:

I've been meaning to try the AV30 which looks very good but there isn't any in stock near me. 
    @rlw bought the AV15 last year and seemed to really like it.
    I often thought (afterwards) that i'd chosen the wrong amp with the VT20X and should have got what he got.

I heard the AV30 being played (Very well indeed) and thought it was a much more true representation of a valve amp.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    I bought the AV30....
    Still loving it too.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    rlw said:
    I bought the AV30....
    Still loving it too.
    My Mistake.

How does it actually compare with a valve amp, do you get the same thump and response from it?
  • Those little Vox amps look great - the new MV50. Was really excited when I saw them. But then disappointed to find they don't have an effects loop.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    edited January 2017
    It responds well and is touch sensitive.  Loud, it thumps.  I prefer it to the 65PRRI it replaced.

I couldn't say it's like a Twin Reverb or a Mesa or a Marshall as I don't have the in depth experience but to my ears it sounds valvey and it plays like one.

I'm in Bromley.  If anyone wants to come over and try it, to give a better idea, pm me.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    Those little Vox amps look great - the new MV50. Was really excited when I saw them. But then disappointed to find they don't have an effects loop.

It seems like a very simple amp, I think they will probably use this as a test of this tech and if it's popular they will roll out more models with more advanced features.
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Those little Vox amps look great - the new MV50. Was really excited when I saw them. But then disappointed to find they don't have an effects loop.

It seems like a very simple amp, I think they will probably use this as a test of this tech and if it's popular they will roll out more models with more advanced features.
    It sounds good in the YouTube video but ultimately it's a hybrid amp with the tube only being on preamp duty.  My experience is that hybrid amps are the work of Satan, designed to lure cash-strapped guitarists with false promises of tubey dynamics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    mixolyd said:

It sounds good in the YouTube video but ultimately it's a hybrid amp with the tube only being on preamp duty.  My experience is that hybrid amps are the work of Satan, designed to lure cash-strapped guitarists with false promises of tubey dynamics.

I wouldn't say so, Bassists have had good Class D amps for ages, it's unfair.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Be interesting to see if that Nutube (Nuvalve if you're English) really does behave like the real thing.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    50 watts into 4 ohm cab. Gigable, depending on your needs.
    Babones said:
    50 watts into 4 ohm cab. Gigable, depending on your needs.

I imagine it would work well into a 2x10 with V Types. 
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    mixolyd said:

I wouldn't say so, Bassists have had good Class D amps for ages, it's unfair.
    Well maybe it's different for bass but every hyped up "it's so great" hybrid I ever tried was an absolute dog and bore zero resemblance to a valve amp.