Is the a modern boss od1 equivalent ?!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
ive been a tube screamer user for many years , but I've been reading a lot about all the classic recordings made with the boss od1 , and how it may even pre date the tube screamer .

i'd like to try one , but without having to buy a vintage original .

is there a pedal available off the shelf today that is similar ??!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Boss SD-1 or OD-3.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9609
    edited January 2017
    The SD-1 is the OD-1 with a tone control (more or less). The OD-3 uses an opamp circuit made of discrete components (like the BD-2) and therefore quite different.

My first ever pedal was the OD-1 and I love it but the loss of bass bothered me in most situations. I swapped a cap to extend the bandwidth of a high pass filter in there a few years ago, which improved things. Side by side with a modern SD-1 and with both drive controls down to minimum and the tone of the SD-1 at 12 o clock, the tonal response of both pedals is now practically identical.
  • Thanks ! Is the standard sd1 the one to get or are the waza craft ones worth the extra ?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9609
    No idea, but when you can pick up an SD-1 for £25 any day of the week I think everybody should have one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    The waza craft ones have all the bass you would need
    I only bought mine when boss were doing the 3 for 2 deal
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    The chronology is that the OD-1 came first, before the Tube Screamer. Ibanez/Maxon copied the idea for the TS, removing the asymetrical clipping which Boss had patented but using the same basic circuit and adding the tone control. Boss then added the tone control as well to make the SD-1.

I've never found the stock SD-1 sounds quite like the OD-1, possibly because of the bass difference that thermionic mentions, but to me it also sounds less 'open' - I never run them with the gain right down though, so we may be comparing different things. It's close though - if you want to find out what an OD-1 basically sounds like it will do the job.

Looking at the schematics, C4 in the SD-1 is probably responsible for the difference - it will take off a little top-end compared to the OD-1. Modding an SD-1 to an OD-1 isn't quite as simple as removing this and disconnecting the tone control, though - the feedback loop arrangement of the IC is different too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    There is the Reuss cab drive which uses the original chip. Its a great sound but the low cut on the original is too much. I currently use it in the low pass mode on my bass board. 
    If you want something different to a TS but in the same category then try a zendrive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    The chronology is that the OD-1 came first, before the Tube Screamer. Ibanez/Maxon copied the idea for the TS, removing the asymetrical clipping which Boss had patented but using the same basic circuit and adding the tone control. Boss then added the tone control as well to make the SD-1.

I've never found the stock SD-1 sounds quite like the OD-1, possibly because of the bass difference that thermionic mentions, but to me it also sounds less 'open' - I never run them with the gain right down though, so we may be comparing different things. It's close though - if you want to find out what an OD-1 basically sounds like it will do the job.

Looking at the schematics, C4 in the SD-1 is probably responsible for the difference - it will take off a little top-end compared to the OD-1. Modding an SD-1 to an OD-1 isn't quite as simple as removing this and disconnecting the tone control, though - the feedback loop arrangement of the IC is different too.
    Thanks for the info !!

Is it worth getting a  waza craft one if it addresses this, or just stick with the standard sd1??
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    If you've never owned an OD-1 why not pick up an SD-1 and see what you think. There are some people who don't think the Wazza Craft version is better.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • IIRC the Waza has a bit more low end, which is probably the opposite of what you want.

Is it worth getting a  waza craft one if it addresses this, or just stick with the standard sd1??
    I haven't tried the Waza - to be honest I have no interest, I find the hype/price/silly graphic offputting. The beauty of the SD-1 is that it's brilliant, standard and cheap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Thanks for the info !!

If you're going any fancier than the SD1, go for the Reuss OD1 clone.
  • ICBM said:

I haven't tried the Waza - to be honest I have no interest, I find the hype/price/silly graphic offputting. The beauty of the SD-1 is that it's brilliant, standard and cheap.
    I used a sd1 with a jcm800 2204 a few years ago , worked well , it's good to know that the standard version does the biz !
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    I'm always surprised the OD3 doesn't get more love. All I know is that with a les Paul and a crunchy Marshall it boosts it into a wonderful lead sound. I found it much more 'full' sounding than a Tubescreamer. 
    Into a clean amp it can sound a bit harsh - but then I've yet to find a pedal in any price range that produces a drive that feels the same as a boosted already- compressing Marshall. 
  • No longer produced I believe but you could look for a secondhand Dingotone SQO, a direct 'tribute' to the OD-1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upFJytwqTCo

mattdavis said:
    I'm always surprised the OD3 doesn't get more love.
    I've always found it entirely bland and characterless. Not positively bad, just boring and uninspiring… I prefer the SD-1's fuzzy harmonic-y midrange, it seems to have more life to it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    ICBM said:
    mattdavis said:
    I'm always surprised the OD3 doesn't get more love.
    I've always found it entirely bland and characterless. Not positively bad, just boring and uninspiring… I prefer the SD-1's fuzzy harmonic-y midrange, it seems to have more life to it.
    Preach, the OD3 was really difficult for me to get on with. 
  • MPHMPH Frets: 56
    The Valeton Loft OD-10 is based on the OD-1.  I've not tried it myself, I'm just aware of its existence  :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited January 2017
    I like the OD3, but only for a smooth drive with a strat. Otherwise I feel like the BD2 has a more useful tone across a similar gain range. Neither sound like an SD1
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2575
    tFB Trader
    I love the SD1, great for a mid heavy amp like Marshalls as it does not have the mid hump of the tube screamer.

I had a OD1 many years ago, it was very bright, great for some Lenny Kravitz type stuff... thats all I remember about it, the SD1 I had at the same time was much more friendly.

Since coming to the UK I have bought the SD1 again, everyone should have one