I've gotten really into Nick Drake recently

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
Fucking great wasn't he?

Bryter Layter is an absolute masterpiece of an album.
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Yeah he's brilliant.

Five Leaves Left was the album I have listened to the most. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    And quintessentially English - unlike 'gotten'.... :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Great album, great artist. Pink Moon is my favourite.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    He was my inspiration to concentrate on acoustic in the 19s then I was in my teens, I have never looked back,  if only I didint sell my original copy of pink moon in 2010 when I lost my job  it would be worth a fortune now :(
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Personally I prefer Five Leaves Left and Pink Moon. Amazing artist though.
  • Five Leaves Left is my favourite, but I must get Bryter Later on cd some time.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    edited January 2017
    Have you ever tried playing his stuff? There's a decent collection of tab for his songs:

http://nickdraketabs.co.uk/

His altered tunings are really interesting, and he's a really impressive picker.

It seems that part of the reason he wasn't more successful in his lifetime was that he was very awkward and shy on stage, and I can't imagine that constantly changing his tunings (because they didn't do roadies and dozens of guitars on tour in the '70s) helped that. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    I don't really get him, sorry. I've got Five Leaves Left and I've heard Pink Moon, but… ?

I know he had a tragically short life so I somehow feel I should try to like him, but I don't really understand why he's so rated - his songs don't do anything for me and his voice is slightly annoying sometimes.

If anyone wants Five Leaves Left on CD - apparently it's hard to find - PM me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Have you ever tried playing his stuff? There's a decent collection of tab for his songs:

http://nickdraketabs.co.uk/

His altered tunings are really interesting, and he's a really impressive picker.
    Yes, the intro to Cello Song makes me realise I need to work on my right hand technique.

The tab book Way to Blue is pretty good if anyone is interested.
  • ICBM said:

I don't think it is. I think his albums were hard to get before they were reissued on CD (hence @Strangefan's vinyl copy being potentially valuable), but not now.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• It's his voice I like. More modern artists in a similar vein (for delivery/depressiveness ratio) I like are Elliott Smith and Sufjan Stevens.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Yup  cds are ten a penny and even the reissued vinyl is only a tenner from ebay, 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    ICBM said:
    I don't really get him, sorry. I've got Five Leaves Left and I've heard Pink Moon, but… ?

I know he had a tragically short life so I somehow feel I should try to like him, but I don't really understand why he's so rated - his songs don't do anything for me and his voice is slightly annoying sometimes.

What do you think of Leonard Cohen?
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    He was a genius, IMO. Five Leaves Left is such a fantastic album. Cello Song is so haunting.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    Bryter Later is more accessible than the other two imo - and it has Northern Sky on it (very significant tune for me).

Pink Moon is brilliant but a bit dark for the newcomer I think. Parasite is blindingly good.

The box set with some of his mother's stuff shows where he got some of his influence. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2591
    edited January 2017
    I'm a big fan of Drake and Leonard Cohen.  I was a bit slow in coming round to both, they both seemed a bit too laid back and fey to me at first, not enough going on sonically. But noways I still listen to their music fairly regularly unlike, say, Springsteen or Neil Young, broadly similar artists whose appeal to me was much more immediate but didn't last so well.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    The first album I heard by him was Time Of No Reply, which is a collection of home recordings, outtakes and demos without much additional fluff.  Just him, his guitar and a tape recorder for the most part.  I loved that record deeply for a few years, and was pretty shocked when I finally heard the studio versions of those same songs with strings, drums, piano, Richard Thompson widdlings etc.  They're still great albums, but seem needlessly overblown to me.  Pink Moon is much more stripped back and that seems truer to the man's talents to me.

Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I was leant a copy of BL by a friend when I was at college, just as people started to rediscover his music, I went straight out and got the Fruit Tree box set. 

This VW ad from the 90s sold more copies of Nick's albums than cars. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Love Nick Drake, Time Has Told Me is one of my favourite songs. You should hear the love of my life Lisa Hannigan covering Black Eyed Dog at the Nick Drake tribute in the Royal Albert Hall. A gem.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    ICBM said:

I don't think it is. I think his albums were hard to get before they were reissued on CD (hence @Strangefan's vinyl copy being potentially valuable), but not now.
    OK... Skarloey said he was looking for it but couldn't find it - although he turned me down on sending it to him. I'm doing my best to give it away!

octatonic said:

What do you think of Leonard Cohen?
    I like him a lot. Great songs, great voice, nice dark sense of humour.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein