Recommend me a vocal mic

RolandRoland Frets: 8693
I need a new stage mic. Not particularly keen on SM58 and variants. What would you recommend?
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I'm an Audio Technica fanboy and really rate their AE6100. The Audix range is also excellent.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    What sort of voice do you have? Are you a lead singer or backing vocals?
    What kind of environments do you usually sing in? Will this be just through your own Sound system or do you often use the rig d' jour?

In short there are a number of variables which might dictate the right mic, but these days most brand name mics are of a high enough standard to be good. If you have a subtle delicate voice then a condenser will likely be best, if you bellow folk or punk then a dynamic is probably the order of the day.
    What don't you like about the SM58? The beta version is a whole new mic in a familier styling, the Beta57a uses that same capsule in a different housing to get a tighter pattern ideal for loud stages where 'spill' might be a problem or loud wedges are used.

So tell us more about your actual needs and we can advise better.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Shure Beta 87a.
    Not cheap but for live you don't need better than this.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    edited January 2017
    ESBlonde said:

So tell us more about your actual needs and we can advise better.

BVs, announcements and stage banter, and for guest singers. I'd also consider wireless so that, when I walk out front for the sound check, I can talk to the band rather than shout and gesticulate.

@simonk @octatonic why each is so useable?
  • russhrussh Frets: 0
    edited January 2017

Heil PR22 but especially the PR35.
    Sennheiser 935
    Audio Technica AE6100
    Audix OM-7
    Beyer M88

Disclaimer - I hate the 58. I hate the 58 Beta more.

My most used mics are the PR35 and the 935 as they tend to work well with most PAs and are both clear and have a bright top end. Easier to tame a bright top end if it's not to your taste than try and EQ the muffle out of a SM58. The PR35 is more condenser sounding than a dynamic, despite being a dynamic. It's got great headroom and feedback rejection.

I'd tend to stay away from condensers unless you are on big stages as the sound quality advantages can't be realised if you are struggling with feedback. 

If you are used to other engineers doing your sound, the big plus of a SM58 is that they are likely to know the mic well and make it sound OK through their PA.

I wouldn't bother with wireless unless you are prepared to spend some serious cash on something like the ULXD, QLXD or EW300/EW500. RF and compounders can be highly variable in quality. You may consider a wireless mic of lesser quality to be "OK" - which they will be - but I suspect if you are looking for a decent stage mic, you'd rather be ploughing your money into a decent wired variant as opposed to a not so good wireless one.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    All I can say about the AE6100 is I really like the sound of it, it seems as feedback resistant as anything else I've tried, and it somehow takes my distinctly average voice and makes it a bit more musical.
  • I use a Sennheiser mic, not sure of the model number but it's their take on an SM58. I find it clearer than the SM58, particularly as I don't have a particularly loud singing voice.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    There's generally lots of opinions on the sound of a mic but for live use on the kind of small stages most of us on play on I think the pattern of the mic is arguably more important. 

If you think about it most of us stand about 2 metres in front of the drum kit so like it or not your vocal mic is effectively a drum overhead mic as well. With that in mind I tend to prefer mics with a tight narrow pickup pattern like a Sennheiser E945 which is what I use myself. If you keep you head in front of that mic you will get less unwanted drum and other spill in it than you would with a usual SM58. 
    On a bigger stage though this is less of a problem and a 58 is all most people will ever need, in fact on a bigger stage the 58 is more forgiving of people wandering off the mic

So my vote for small stages at pubs, wedding venues etc is Senn E945
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Thank you all for your advice. I had been using a E945 that got "borrowed", which is why I'm looking for a replacement. In the mean time I'm currently using an Audiotechnica (not the AE6100) and finding it bright and thin. The SM58 doesn't suit my voice. Yes, I know it can be EQ'd but, as Danny explains, we've had feedback problems on pub "stages". It looks like another E945 is the easy option.
  • http://www.audixusa.com/docs_12/units/OM7.shtml Audix OM7 should solve you feedback problems personally happy with beta 57 and 90% of tech riders I get specify either SM58 or Beta 58's just saying
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • AMG D5
    AMG D5
    Reason?
  • Affordable. Tough.