New Supro Guitars

What's Hot
These look quite good, 'acousti-glass' top too, to give the reso-glass feel I guess. Definitely want to give one a go.

https://suprousa.com/guitars/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Very nice indeed.  
  • Me likey!
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14224
    tFB Trader
    For some reason I love the quirky nature of many of these retro based guitars - yet always come away touch disappointed after actually  playing them
  • @guitars4you I agree I love the look of them, but every original I've tried has been a total dog. Still, I have high hopes for the Sahara.
  • Does Richard Fortus have big hands, or is his Hampton on the small side...?
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd be intrigued to what the street price of the guitars will be. 

The pickups are designed by the chap at Roadhouse Pickups who makes some truly fantastic pickups.  Trev Wilkinson is involved again, I'm intrigued whether the guitars will be Far East made or USA built.  
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26970
    I want to say "They stole the Rhoney Oceana thing", but in reality the Rhoneys stole that schtick from National & Supro so I guess it's all good. 

I'm slightly surprised they've gone for such a big range from day one though.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    edited January 2017
    These look quite good, 'acousti-glass' top too, to give the reso-glass feel I guess. Definitely want to give one a go.

https://suprousa.com/guitars/
    I'd be intrigued to what the street price of the guitars will be. 

The pickups are designed by the chap at Roadhouse Pickups who makes some truly fantastic pickups.  Trev Wilkinson is involved again, I'm intrigued whether the guitars will be Far East made or USA built.  
    http://italiaguitars.com/html/sub01_0201.php

The distinctive Mondial Classic encapsulates the spirit of the ITALIA product range. Its totally retro while being totally state of the art electronics and hardware. Aside from its gorgeous attire (complete with rubber-bound edges), this is an amazing-sounding instrument. Unique tones abound, courtesy of the special design 'AcoustiGlass' top

http://italiaguitars.com/html/images/pro/02mondial_m_01_01.gif

Far East I'd bet given the Trev Wilkinson connection and similarity to the Italia Mondial Classic. Or maybe US assembled from Far East parts? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I'd be intrigued to what the street price of the guitars will be. 
    Guitarist Magazine is giving away a Jamesport this month - they list the price as £799, which is a tad disappointing 
    Stop crying, start buying
  • XsmnmyXsmnmy Frets: 124
    As a fan of the 50s + 60s Supros, i find these v distasteful - if you like the vibe, originals are still around on US ebay every week, probably for less - and there's nothing like the Valco /Keller designed pickups!
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    ^ I kinda agree, and even more so when it comes to the lap steel.

You can get clean original playable vintage Valco steels on eBay all day long for $200, or $350 in that exact trim with the string-thru pickup. Makes no sense. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I'm liking the demos of the chambered 'hog resoglass ones a lot, I think they sound superb.

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    dindude said:
    I'm liking the demos of the chambered 'hog resoglass ones a lot, I think they sound superb.

I'm really loving this Belmont - especially with the sparkle finish

Let's hope the street price is below £500
    Stop crying, start buying
    ^ that one does look and sound pretty good, no doubt! I'm not 100% against - they're better than Eastwood, but still - they are more expensive than the originals, and the originals are better. Ebay prices can verge on the insane, but those ones are not selling. I've bought two 50s Supros on Reverb in the past year, both less than $500.
    edited January 2017
    smnmy said:
    ^ that one does look and sound pretty good, no doubt! I'm not 100% against - they're better than Eastwood, but still - they are more expensive than the originals, and the originals are better. Ebay prices can verge on the insane, but those ones are not selling. I've bought two 50s Supros on Reverb in the past year, both less than $500.
      They do make a point of saying the news ones play well and stay in tune
    I've been watching some more if the demos and if nothing else Supro have done a great job here, properly recorded, with great players, guitars in tune! - so many companies get it wrong with mediocre (or worse) demos. 

listen to the first minute or so of this and I'm almost sold.

• smnmy said:
    Out of interest what's wrong with the Eastwood ones? I quite like them but interested what others do better for that kind of thing
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    The Eastwoods look right but they are basically just generic basswood guitars with funny shapes. Not bad per se, but they are lookalikes rather than reissues. These new ones are much closer to the resoglass originals and the pickups sound really good. I have to say they are a lot cheaper than I would have expected. I hadn't looked at the full range before - I should clarify that it's the wood bodied 50s Supros that you can still get a good deal on - I didn't get an original Martinque for $500!
  • smnmy said:
    The Eastwoods look right but they are basically just generic basswood guitars with funny shapes. Not bad per se, but they are lookalikes rather than reissues. These new ones are much closer to the resoglass originals and the pickups sound really good. I have to say they are a lot cheaper than I would have expected. I hadn't looked at the full range before - I should clarify that it's the wood bodied 50s Supros that you can still get a good deal on - I didn't get an original Martinque for $500!
    True I see what you mean, though these supro ones are only covered by the resoglass aren't they rather than being made fully of that? The Eastwoods I suppose are a bit expensive new for what they are though I personally prefer the Airline shapes to the Supro ones so I guess they are still the way to go for that.

I do have an actual resoglass airline from a kit (built by Wezv of this parish) but as it is so beautiful and has some sentimental value to me so don't get it out of its case that often, was thinking I'd like a similar but less valuable one too muck about day to day
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Sorry to be a detractor but they don't do it for me.
    Don't touch that dial.