Singing and playing

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
I go to a local jam night most weeks. I normally hang about in the background but had resolved that for 2017 I'd actually get up and sing a song or two.

Easy enough in my own bedroom but, blimey!, standing up in front of a group of people is quite intimidating isn't it? I guess though that like most things it gets easier the more you do it.

Anyway I (sensibly I think) chose two very easy songs - Tom Petty's Learning to Fly and The Band's The Weight so not too much risk of getting the chords wrong and things went reasonably well (I think).

What I hadn't realised is just how directional mike's are - if I moved my head even slightly to look at my fretting hand then the vocal all but disappeared.

So, new-found respect to all of you who sing and play in front of people. And, if anyone has any useful tips to share it would be appreciated.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    edited January 2017
    I find it impossible ...whilst my 2 hands can operate the guitar quite well, and no problem with a crowd, my hands and mouth cannot operate together at all !

I guess you have to assume that most people in the audience wish they had the talent / nerve to do the same thing, 

Good luck with your quest !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    HAL9000 said:

So, new-found respect to all of you who sing and play in front of people. And, if anyone has any useful tips to share it would be appreciated.

Just keep at it. It gets easier the more you do it. Don't be afraid to simplify what you're doing on guitar while you sing - the focus should be on your voice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Nothing profound to offer except if you're going to perform standing up then practice playing standing up.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • Nice one @HAL9000 things going well at the 12 bar then? I wish I could get down there a bit more often.
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    No problem to me, I just scare the crowd away when I sing haha!! ....seriously tho, keeping focussed on the mic took me a long time to get used to - you've really got to get those lyrics well and truly burned into your brain, then life gets much easier! New songs are the worst! ...the band used to threaten me with having to wear a boom mic like Madonna, but that probably wouldnt work because then everything goes in the PA !! Great fun tho, stick at it, you'll get there!! ....I prefer singing to playing lead now!
  • remember, if you fluff it or go wrong, know one really cares, most audiences at these things are very supportive, and as mentioned before, are pretty in awe of anyone haing the bottle to get up there. Ive been running one for nearly two years so can bear that out.  I still get nervous but i really enjoy it.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    I usually find the better you know the guitar parts, the more brain space you can dedicate to singing.

It's very much like rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time. It's all about practice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I've never struggled with the playing and singing, I've always done it though! For me it about detatching from the guitar and focusing on the vocal, you can only really do that with a lot of practice! 

Its difficult and props robs to anyone who gets up and sings, I always found bigger crowds easier if that helps! 
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    People have covered some great points. My experience is that singing with high volume PA etc can really throw you off.  Worth practicing that before you get up there. 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I've been singing and playing all my life.
    Which means that i've been doing neither very well and it's always plagued me. Either i forget lyrics or fluff the guitar parts.
    I'm not singing anymore, i've had enough of it. Our band will have a singer and this time, it's not going to be me.
    I'll have a Mic and i'll sing backing but that's it.

Anyway our other guitarist is better than me at playing and singing so really it should be him anyway.

(It's fucking well going to be this time !)
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    You do have to plug away at it. Things that felt impossible to me at first - such as playing and singing Day Tripper - became possible and even second nature over time.

As people have said, it just takes practice. The same old boring, hard work answer I'm afraid.

Also, what @Bidley said - the better you know the guitar part, the better. You basically practice the guitar bit until you've relegated it to the automatic part of your brain - then sing the song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Lewy said:
    Just keep at it. It gets easier the more you do it. Don't be afraid to simplify what you're doing on guitar while you sing - the focus should be on your voice.
    This. Even if you know all the nice guitar parts just forget about them initially, play simple rhythm guitar and concentrate totally on your singing. If the PA has a floor monitor make sure you can hear yourself clearly and don't be at all timid in singing out.
    Plectrum said:
    Nothing profound to offer except if you're going to perform standing up then practice playing standing up.
    This also, and when you are standing up practicing make sure you keep staring straight ahead and not constantly glancing down to check your chord changes. As you've already found - that's when your voice disappears off mic :)

Lots of good advice from the fellas above. It takes time, practice and determination but it will pay off. Oh, and songs like Learning To Fly and The Weight are a great choice because the audience can identify with them and even join in.

Good luck.