Who can make me a JCM800 combo 'clone'?

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
edited January 2017 in Amps
I am trying to get hold of the 'grail' JCM800 combo - the 4010 but they are few and far between and mostly very tatty. Who can I talk to about commissioning one?

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Coda Music have got my old Fargen Olde 800 1x12 combo...
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Yowzer - that's nice!
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    I will be putting up an ad for my Marshall 4010 tomorrow if you're interested 

I will be putting up an ad for my Marshall 4010 tomorrow if you're interested 
    Interesting - will look out for it
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Ceriatone do one but with the £ where it is right now it's no longer the "steal" that it once was. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited January 2017
    Marshall make a pretty good one.  =)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They're out there , I had one a little while ago.

• Yeah I had one......tbh it was ok.
    didnt set my world on fire tho, very boxy unless going through a external cab, thin unless you wound up the gain to full, leaving you nowhere to go for a lead boost, no fx loop either, and you really need to get one with the 65 speaker (early ones) and vertical inputs otherwise you get diode clipping which personally I think sounds fuzzy/fizzy

but if you wanna play Back in Black all day it's awesome. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Marshall make a pretty good one.  =)
    I'm pretty sure they don't anymore, as its a not complicated, solid reliable, uk made, great sounding amp for reasonable money. 

Not part of Marshalls mission statement these days. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah I had one......tbh it was ok.
    didnt set my world on fire tho, very boxy unless going through a external cab, thin unless you wound up the gain to full, leaving you nowhere to go for a lead boost, no fx loop either, and you really need to get one with the 65 speaker (early ones) and vertical inputs otherwise you get diode clipping which personally I think sounds fuzzy/fizzy

Ah man way to piss on my bonfire. What would you suggest then? I play heavy rock through high output humbuckers and I like thick, chunky rhythm tones. I use drive pedals too. 
  • rico said:
    Yeah I had one......tbh it was ok.

Ah man way to piss on my bonfire. What would you suggest then? I play heavy rock through high output humbuckers and I like thick, chunky rhythm tones. I use drive pedals too. 
    Me too. 
    Sorry dude, everyone says how amazing they are, I found out after I sold it how prized they are and I thought ...really? 
    It was ok but nothing amazing. 

The only way I could get it to work they I needed was to play it on the low input gain cranked ( which was essentially clean) and use a 2 channel valve drive pedal in the front. 
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited January 2017
    It sounded great at full gain, but it's single channel, sobyiubdacrifice s good clean, you are also limited to your lead boost options. 

I went to to an Engl Screamer 50 which I could set up to sound pretty damn similar to the JCM800 ( I had both at same time) 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    If you want a similar tone but thicker/more of a lower mid emphasis then it might be worth looking at the Laney GH/VH series. Head only though unless you get an old VC50 combo which is apparently a 50w combo version of the VH100R. 

Saying that I have a GH and still want a Marshall, there's just something about the tone that I haven't been able to get with my amp.

Or look out for a 2x12 version, the JMP 2104 sounds brilliant and not at all boxy though you do need the bass on full and treble quite low if you want any kind of thickness and warmth.
    Thanks @professorben & @TTBZ ;

I have a DSL401 - perhaps I should just stay with it for a while. The thing that concerns me is that it may not be loud enough for pending gigs but then again I did used to gig this amp years ago. Maybe its just the incurable GAS within me. 

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    40w should be plenty for gigs, maybe an extension cab would be a better investment? I quite like the DSL series tbh, I've never really understood all the bad rep they get on forums.
  • rico said:
    I am trying to get hold of the 'grail' JCM800 combo - the 4010 but they are few and far between and mostly very tatty. Who can I talk to about commissioning one?

Cheers!
    I was on a similar hunt a little while back. Emailed a few people who do this kind of thing and didn't get a response. I'd pay a good chunk of cash to get something that's a 2203 clone with whatever mods would be sensible (e.g. it's a perfect 2203/2203X clone, with the option of switching other bits in and out). 

Why not get a 2203? Well, I want something _small_, I love the size of the mini heads (like the mini-rectifier). I want one that takes up way less space. I assume there's a certain limit on size given you're trying to squeeze the transformer and valves into a small space; hence there'd been a heat issue (?). Then you get into all manner of "cork sniffy" stuff around making the circuit smaller, so you're not doing point to point or whatever it is.

Regardless, I'd pay a good chunk of cash for a JCM800 clone that was a lot smaller. I started looking at some of the small victory amps, but not quite at the point of pulling the trigger. 
  • 40w valve should be fine for gigging especially if you are not looking for pristine cleans. 

40w valve should be fine for gigging especially if you are not looking for pristine cleans. 

Yeah that's what I am thinking - hell I used to gig this exact same amp with a LP straight in to the OD2 channel for a couple of years. 

That was with a pretty straightforward rock/blues band but my latest venture is heavier but some cleans are also needed - time to investigate more I think. Perhaps an extension cab could be a good shout...
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited January 2017
    Good grief. 
    I sold mine for £500!!!!

edit: I tell a lie, I just checked it went for £580.