Recommend me a capo

What's Hot
ObasObas Frets: 42
Recommendations for a sensibly priced capo for use on electric.
Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• G7th.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    Schubb C1.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    edited January 2017
    G7th.
    +1 - I like them that much I've got two!
    We are all Chameleons...
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    I've been very happy with the Dunlop 87B I got recently.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Shubb.
    Never felt the need for anything else.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    I never use them but my daughter loves her g7th. Im sure others are fine tho  
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    By far the best capo I've used is the Paige. It is miles better than either the G7 or the Shubb IMO. For one thing, when not in use you can just slide it behind the nut, so you will never leave it behind at a gig. For another it has the lowest profile of any capo I know, which means it obstructs your left hand less. But most of all, it's easy to get the amount of pressure on the strings exactly right.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Kyser

Simple, and perfect.

I like them so much I've got four.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Kyser or Dunlop trigger rip offs on ebay - from £2-5. Even the ones around 2 squids are absolutely fine. I have real Dunlop and a few cheapo £2 rip offs...and the rip off jobs are just as good. Only thing I notice on the brushed metal finished ones is that they seem a bit more polished on the real deal. As a functioning tool the cheapies do just as good a job for buttons.
  • Paige does look good!!
    Saying that I have two Shubb capo noir capo's.
  • ObasObas Frets: 42
    Cheers to all thanks for the advice
    S
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    I used to love the Shubb, but then bought a G7th because Johnny Marr uses them. Both are good, but the G7th just clamps on with no adjustment. You have to tweak the Shubb for the neck depth for it to work at its best.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    I didn't get on with the Kyser. I prefer my Shubbs but the G7 is OK too.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I see Shubb have now introduced their own version of the Paige capo! (The F1). That could be interesting, but it ain't cheap.

As thermionic says, with the standard Shubb capos you have to adjust the setting every time you change position by more than a fret or so. Also I tend to find that the bar that presses the strings down is slightly too heavily radiused, so it either pushes the outer strings sharp or damps the middle strings. And eventually the little black plastic nub on the adjustment bolt either breaks or falls off, thus rendering your capo useless (if you haven't already lost it like I used to).

The G7 is really clever but quite big and clunky, and because there's no tactile feedback as you adjust it, I always found it hard to get the pressure right.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    I didn't get on with the Kyser. I prefer my Shubbs but the G7 is OK too.
    I hated the Shubb - I put up with one for a few years because I'd read the reviews saying it was 'the best, by far' so I bought one (and to be fair, it was better than the Dunlop nylon-strap type I had before), but when I accidentally acquired a Kyser - which I'd never heard of, but it was in the case of a second-hand guitar I bought - it was such a revelation I gave the Shubb away immediately. I've tried others since, including the G7th - which like the Shubb I found fiddly and annoying - but never found anything that 'just works' as well as the Kyser. The Dunlop Trigger isn't bad but the grip is the wrong way up for me and the way I hold a guitar.

It's strange how there should be such extreme differences of opinion on all of them, but I suppose that's just humans :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5015
    I used to use a stubby pencil and stout elastic band when I were a lad! But that was on a classical and that method doesn't work too well with cambered necks. Unless you have a bendy pencil, oooer.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I used to use a stubby pencil and stout elastic band when I were a lad! But that was on a classical and that method doesn't work too well with cambered necks. Unless you have a bendy pencil, oooer.
    Or you could put a rubber sheath on your pencil. Protects it too I would imagine