So who gigs with....

What's Hot
.....no pedals.

Just Guitar.... straight in to an Amp?

I guess a tuner is a must.

Anyone out there?

If so, what Guitar/Amp combination do you use?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I used to... when I first started gigging. I used an LTD KH-202 into an Engl Blackmore, and played hard rock.

It didn't take me long before realising that I needed an EQ in the loop as a solo boost, and shortly after I got a wah, but I played with just those two pedals for ages.
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Yep, Feline Lion Cub in to a Cornford MK50.

Its a really versatile amp though so I can set the gain for crunch, roll back guitar volume and kick in the second master for clean, hit the overdrive for extra gain or lead.

I don't do much lead stuff though so don't need a huge variety of sounds.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    I do in a blues band occasionally. Just a Jet City head and a tuner, amp on channel one, no footswitch or pedals, just using the guitar's controls. 

I did it for a year in my covers band too, but it is easier to use my G3 as a tuner and have reverb and a bit of slapback occasionally along for the ride, plus a master volume expression pedal. 
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 909
    Yes....my tele straight into my lazyJ20 via my boss tuner...bit of reverb....that's it..use the pick up selector and volume control fir different sounds and boost for any lead lines.... I play ska and reggae :)
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I used to gig my old MkV without any pedals sometimes, and more recently the J20. It can be quite liberating.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    simonk said:
    I used to gig my old MkV without any pedals sometimes, and more recently the J20. It can be quite liberating.
    @simonk given the stash of pedals you got rid of recently surely you only played without pedals because you couldn't decide which beauties to take with you?
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    shaunm said:
    simonk said:
    @simonk given the stash of pedals you got rid of recently surely you only played without pedals because you couldn't decide which beauties to take with you?
    Option paralysis!
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    .....no pedals.

Anyone out there?

I'm not gigging it yet, but will be at some point this year. My PRS MiraX, I have the shadow pickup ring tuner installed and my Mesa Stiletto Ace combo. 

I keep trying pedals but ultimately they frustrate and annoy me, I end up spending thousands on sounds I might use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I will be.  First gig of my new project is in feb, it's acoustic guitar, double bass and myself, i'll be playing a Gibson Midtown into a Princeton Reverb.
  • Great stuff! Im considering slimming down my rig to a very minimal setup so this is really encouraging
  • timmysoft said:
    .....no pedals.

Anyone out there?

I'm not gigging it yet, but will be at some point this year. My PRS MiraX, I have the shadow pickup ring tuner installed and my Mesa Stiletto Ace combo. 

I keep trying pedals but ultimately they frustrate and annoy me, I end up spending thousands on sounds I might use.
    Same here Tim - need to work out what i NEED if anything and go from there
    timmysoft said:
    .....no pedals.

Anyone out there?

Same here Tim - need to work out what i NEED if anything and go from there
    Yes mate, its all about what works for you, i've found that the pedal thing just doesn't do it for me. Theres something really satisfying about turning up to rehearsal with just an amp and a guitar, no faffing around with all that pedal tomfoolery. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9447
    edited January 2017
    Guitar -> Redplate (footswitch adds tweed or BF, boost, mids, drive)

Bingo.

Note: if you want Utopia, simply add an FX8
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 336
    I've been through the whole rack system, and pedals

cae 3+ se / 2-90 amp then various TC fx etc

then a Mesa combo with pedals out front, analogman, etc

now have a 2 channel amp,  guitar volume to go from clean, crunch and mean, with at most a reverb or delay patched into the loop. Simple, and easy to work out if there is a fault. Plus very consistent sounding. Near on plug in and play on each occasion.

happiest I've ever been
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Have done. Probably will, if I ever gig again. Not really a pedals guy..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I wonder how people managed back in the days before tuner pedals were invented?
     :) 
    Sassafras said:
    they were just out of tune, but being out of tune was pretty cool in the olden days. 

I like that mine is actually attached to my guitar, i do carry a headstock tuner too for dead battery emergencies.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Sassafras said:
    Clip on!

=) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    Played straight in for about 15 minutes at the end of last gig.  (Was breaking down then the singer reckoned we had another quarter hour to go so just plugged a lead in.)  Sounded really good as it happens.
    Orange CR120 head.  Basic crunch tone and used the guitar's volume pot.

Thing is, I'd need the little pedal board anyway because I like wireless.  But the simplicity the other night really was appealing.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    In my old cover band I went straight in to start with til I realised I needed a tuner and lead boost. I can still get by with that, don't need all the extra pedals.