Body finishes

I  am currently building my first scratch build with a two piece ash body with a spalted curly maple drop top although the body looks good if oiled it soon becomes dull and dry looking, my question is what is the best lacquer/varnish to use on the body to bring out the natural look of the wood?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9slgdpdzggowhd/IMG_20170109_120935.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/df3pjfc35c4mfga/IMG_20170102_214011.jpg?dl=0

Thanks in advance Rich
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    what oil are you using?  how are you applying it?

generally an oil finish is the best thing  to bring out the natural grain
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    TruOil or Crimson Guitars finishing oil both produce a sheen that stays....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• 4xv4xv Frets: 49
    I used some food safe oil which I use on things that I produce on my wood lathe and usually gives a nice finish, tried a small amount and the body looked great, two hours later it just looked dry and untreated . Horses for courses I suppose , thanks for the info Rich
    Thanks that's most useful guys.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Food safe oil (Chestnut finishes?) is really only clear mineral oil. The reason it goes dull looking is because it doesnt 'dry' as such, just sinks in. It will never give even a hint of shinyness. Ive used it a lot on chopping/cheese boards.
    Now, truoil etc will harden as they dry, but you may find them incompatible with the mineral oil. I dont know for sure because ive not tried it myself. Whatever you do, i would absolutely recommend trialling on a bit of scrap ash - i.e. apply food safe, let sink in for a few days, *then* try a proper finishing oil. You may make the situation worse otherwise.
    Your guitar looks lovely btw.

Adam
    Thanks ,only tried a small area just to get an  idea of colour etc and there has been much shaping and scraping since then so hopefully won't cause too much pain!