First pedal you ever bought (and when.)

What's Hot
handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
Marshall shredmaster. Circa 1997. I was 17.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Boss DS-1 around 1995

Boss phaser similar time (From Marks Music in Cambridge)

Boss compressor around 1996 - Now with bigjon (Coda)

Arion digital delay again around 1996 (Marks Music) cheap and a bit poo.

Boss Ch-1 chorus around 1997 (Coda)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• vizviz Frets: 10690
    DS-1 in 1988
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9606
    Boss OD-1, £22 used from a shop in Chester. Must have been around 1982, when I was 14 or 15. Initially disappointed because what I really needed then was a distortion not an overdrive. I still use it, but I've made a couple of mods (to let more bass through and replace ancient electrolytic coupling caps).
  • Visual sound route 66 and a 535q 18V at the same time a couple of years ago. Previously, I just used a modelling amp (advt 100) and I sometimes still miss it - had some great sounds.

Sadly had to sell the crybaby when I fell upon hard times. It sounded amazing, destroyed the newer version. Still prefer the weeping demon, but hey ho.

Very shortly afterwards, a Duncan powergrid, which was phenomenal. Sold it to a gigging guy at uni, which I should not have done.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz said:
    DS-1 in 1988

If that was sold around Cambridge it a (very slim) pissabolity I got it. Mine came from the old second hand shop down Mill Road. IIRC I paid £10 for it. And sold it on for £30........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Columbus Distortion - 1988.

Not great but kept me content until I got. Marshall Guvnor in 1990.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    Script logo MXR Phase 90 for £25 in 1985.

Wish I still had it :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24287
    Arion SCH-1 Stereo Chorus pedal for £55 new.  It's still here somewhere - complete with the price sticker!  Bought in err... early 1980's.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Korg G3. Dimebag Darrell was used in the ads in the guitar mags so when ever that was, early 90s I guess.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I think it was a JHS Fuzz/Wah pedal, and it was £15 from an ex-catalogue shop in Byker. It was one of those amazing chainsaw fuzzes and I really wish I still had it! That was in 1981 I think.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Boss HM 2, the old Musical Exchanges, Birmingham. Still got it and it continues to please me/ annoy me in equal measure.

Cost £49 new.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Boss Bass Chorus...can't remember the model. Early 90s...I don't think I ever used it in anger. I'd just bought my first guitar, a bass, so bought the only pedal in the shop that had 'bass' written on it!

I now realise where my impulse buying of pedals started!!
  • Morley Wah, circa '92.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • I had no idea what I was doing, just thought it'd sound like Shaft (I'd been playing for about 6 weeks);

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited January 2014
    Gigsounds Distortion Unit (1980) - Tubescreamer derivative made by Terry at Gigsounds, Streatham (the shop has now closed but it's original owner, Eric Lindsay, still has a shop in Reigate, Surrey).
    I've still got the pedal and it sort of works.
    It was shortly followed by a Boss CE-2.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Boss DS-1, 2003 (I think).
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    My first was the dod classic tube, it was metallic red and was pretty awesome. I used that until I got a sound tank ibanez tubescreamer, which was hideous. I think this would have been about 1996. In 1997 I upgraded and got the boss metal zone and danelectro fab tone. I was a gain monster through my peavey studio pro 110
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    I had two MXR pedals, bought in 1978.  One was a Phase, the other drive or distortion [I forget which].  Not sure which I bought first, it was a long time ago...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5466
    DOD American Metal. FX56 I think?
    Would have been 87/88 and around £30.