Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Considering Helix and goodbye valve amp!

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23965
    I accidentally put a Devin Townsend sort of ethereal delay and verb thing on a Cliff Burton ish bass patch.

It's probably unusable in a band context but I love it for home playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    Voxman said:
    Helix, AmpFX, Head Rush, Eleven ... I feel completely inadequate and a pauper with my 'from the Ark' Tonelab SE.  weep

Please, someone...anyone...donate a Helix today to help a poor starving Voxman who has a wife, 2 kids and 10 ordinary non-custom shop guitars to support.  Times are tough and a Helix is desperately needed to replace 5 amps and a pedal board that can no longer be supported and will need to go into care.  Please give generously..! 

Image result for del boy you know it makes sense

D
    Swap for your house with swimming pool....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited January 2017
    welshboyo said:
    Voxman said:
    Helix, AmpFX, Head Rush, Eleven ... I feel completely inadequate and a pauper with my 'from the Ark' Tonelab SE.  weep

Please, someone...anyone...donate a Helix today to help a poor starving Voxman who has a wife, 2 kids and 10 ordinary non-custom shop guitars to support.  Times are tough and a Helix is desperately needed to replace 5 amps and a pedal board that can no longer be supported and will need to go into care.  Please give generously..! 

Image result for del boy you know it makes sense

D
    Swap for your house with swimming pool....

Pools broken so yup thats do-able House...you need to talk to the boss!! Lol
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    edited January 2017
    I'm certainly warming to the idea. Reckon I'd need a proper flightcase  else I'd break it. As I see it, I may need 1 or 2 pedals if the Helix can't cover a)Zen Drive b) Sweet Honey.
    I've seen a few standard Helix flight cases at decent price, are there larger variants available  (perhaps with external pedals "hidden" underneath)? 
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tItKft3vt6o

Wow, Helix sounds soo bad in this example!!! Tried it once in a store, I'm sticking with valve amps, thanks!
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    You do that 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Not for me, but I do think they sound great and I understand that they are the future. Give it 50 years and all new amps will be modelling imo. I'll still be using my Princeton but hey I never said I was a trend setter. 

they look shit though :) 

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I bought a Helix before Christmas, and I honestly think it's one of the best designed bit's of gear I've ever owned. Sounds great, and it's so intuitive to use. I honestly totally hated the whole pedalboard thing with a passion and was delighted to flog it all. I still use it with valve amps as a pedalboard replacement using the 4CM, but I'm going to start experimenting with different options bypassing preamps on valve gear and also using it with a pair of PA speakers.

It shocked me just how much I'd spent on pedals over the years. Helix's are not cheap, but even a small pedalboard with PSU's, cables and pedals costs close to what a Helix costs.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited January 2017
    ruoma said:

Wow, Helix sounds soo bad in this example!!! Tried it once in a store, I'm sticking with valve amps, thanks!
    You can make anything sound shit though if you don't bother making it sound good. I hated helix in the store and managed to get them to give me a 30 day trial buy. Never looked back.

It's complex gear and how you dial it in to your gear is key. Setting it up poorly kills it.

I've played a lot of gigs where the support band have had wonderful gear but sounded awful. Valves or not is really not the issue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    ruoma said:

That's not the Helix sounding bad, it's the player...can't polish a turd and all that...
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    exocet said:
    I'm certainly warming to the idea. Reckon I'd need a proper flightcase  else I'd break it. As I see it, I may need 1 or 2 pedals if the Helix can't cover a)Zen Drive b) Sweet Honey.
    I've seen a few standard Helix flight cases at decent price, are there larger variants available  (perhaps with external pedals "hidden" underneath)? 
    Try one, you won't 'need' any pedals at all IMO 
    I still run a drive pedal (KOT) just because I love it at volume
    the helix fits pretty well on a temple boards duo 32 with a softbag
    or a pedaltrain novo 32 with a flight case (but it weighs a damn ton)
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Here's Paul again (cracking player too) showing the Andertons boys how the Helix works with your amp too

edited January 2017
    The interesting thing about the Helix I like over the FX8 is the ability to edit on the fly using the footswitches and Expression pedal (as Paul demos about 10:20 mark)- honestly, I'm a Helix fanboy who owns an FX8 lol - both are awesome tbh - I just didn't want to go down the amp modelling route again

I'm playing a gig with him on Feb 11th
    always a bit intimidating 
    Cabicular said:
    I'm playing a gig with him on Feb 11th
    always a bit intimidating 
    Supporting 300ft GORILLA?  
    Yeah
    I've produced some of their stuff
    i think I'm credited on all their albums IIRC
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not for me, but I do think they sound great and I understand that they are the future. Give it 50 years and all new amps will be modelling imo. I'll still be using my Princeton but hey I never said I was a trend setter. 

they look shit though  
    The whole obsolescence of digital gear is an odd one...people were happily using the Digitech GSP1101 for years and presumably getting good sounds out of it but now the processing power in the new units is so much more...but are the sounds all that much better? I had a Line 6 M5 for a bit and I managed to get that to replicate my valve amp at the time pretty well.

I dunno...I'm sure the new stuff sounds and feels better to play. I guess it's a case of diminishing returns... 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    I saw on in Music Maker in Dublin earlier today. Impressive looking piece of kit, the shop assistant told me it was on special offer at €1350. Seems to do almost everything that a good pedalboard can do and lots of connection possibilities. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum