First amp build. Any help appreciated.

Since recently picking up an EC vibro champ I've started getting really facinated by these little amps and have decided to take the plunge and have a go at building a 5F1 champ.  

So... where do I start!?  I have zero experience so any advice, links to helpful sites, threads, videos, books would be extremely welcome.  

I'd like the finished product to be top quality so opinions on where to source the best parts would be appreciated.  Any good kits available or is it better (and more satisfying) to start sourcing parts myself?

Hoping this will be the first step of a lifelong obsession...  I'm based in Box, Wiltshire (just outside Bath) so if any locals fancy sharing their knowledge please get in touch.
Good trades/sales with: Pluckbuddy, JDE, xXBADGERXx, Brize, alanchanxd, NigelP, Loobs, BusterCrabb, jimkehoe
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    edited January 2017
    First things first, you say you have little experience, but can you solder? Can you solder well - ie. make a good joint reliably? If not, then I'd start here. There are plenty of on line tutorials, but unless you can master this then you're going to waste your time making an amp kit.

Do you have all of the required equipment - soldering iron (25watts) and sponge, cutters, thin nose pliers, tweezers, wire strippers, table vice (or similar), screwdrivers, small adjustable spanner, wire wool. 'Cos your going to need at least all of these.

Do you know the symbols used in simple electrical circuit diagrams? If not then bush up on this.

Kit wise, the Ampmaker WF-55 is a really great kit to start with - simple kit, simple layout, and a good sounding amp at the end of it all. This was my first build, and it worked well, however it then cost me a small fortune, and lots of aggro when I wanted to convert the build to a 5f1 champ replica, and in reality it's not really achievable with the WF-55 kit (due to the circuit using a diode rectified power supply rather than valve rectified - the ampmaker transformer doesn't have the taps or capacity to power the rectifier valve).

If you really want to build a champ then I'd start with a 5f1 kit from Modulus amps (on the forum somewhere).    

http://modulusamplification.com/Champ-5F1-Style-kit-P5295732.aspx

I'll caveat the modulus amps link by saying that I've not (yet) bought a kit from them. And a difference with the ampmaker kit (particularly for the first build) it that Barry gives step by step instructions. 

I also see that Ampmaker are now setting up an on line building course for one of his amp models, might be worth waiting for that.... 

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    +1 for the Little Ampmaker WF55, absolutely awesome amp, that I can crank flat out in the back bedroom.....I had only ever changed pickups before when I built mine, the instructions are first class, and, honestly, it was a doddle, as long as you work methoically and follow the build sequence, you should have no issues, the feeling when you've finished it and play it for the first time is brilliant.......do it!

I will never sell mine!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Sounds like there are pros and cons with each option.  Being a complete beginner the Ampmaker kit sounds ideal, however I've got a feeling that unless it ends up looking and sounding exactly like a Tweed Champ when I'm finished I'm not going to be satisfied.  So, accepting that it'll be more of a challenge the Modulus kit looks interesting.  I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's built one.  How do they compare to some of the off the shelf boutique clones (Rift etc) parts wise?

At the moment I have a screwdriver and that's about it.  @MtB  - Any recommendations on soldering irons etc?  I'd rather buy quality, once.

Clueless about circuit diagrams and electronics too.  Definately up for studying as I go.  Any suggestions on where to start?
    Good trades/sales with: Pluckbuddy, JDE, xXBADGERXx, Brize, alanchanxd, NigelP, Loobs, BusterCrabb, jimkehoe
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Clueless about circuit diagrams and electronics too.

Me too! But the instructions made it easy....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I'd recommend the Ampmaker N5X - far more versatile than the WF55 and its still a single ended 6V6 design.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Chalky said:
    I'd recommend the Ampmaker N5X - far more versatile than the WF55 and its still a single ended 6V6 design.
    Yeah, but he wants a Champ-alike.

If you've not got any experience then I would definitely recommend an Ampmaker kit - the instructions are great. Once you've learned to solder, read circuit diagrams, etc. you could try something more authentic. The Modulus Champ kit looks pretty good (£210, or £395 with tweed cab) but doesn't come with instructions so you'd need to know what you're doing.

R.
  • Thanks for the recommendations all... especially @MtB who's sent me loads of great starter info today.  Think I'm going to swot up a bit then give the Modulus a go.  Nothing like throwing yourself in the deep end...

Chris Uff's name has come up as a good cabinet builder.  Any other recommendations for laquered tweed cabs?
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042

Chris Uff's name has come up as a good cabinet builder.  Any other recommendations for laquered tweed cabs?
    Not a recommendation as such as I've not tried them, but Modulus sell cabs as well (you can choose "with cabinet" when purchasing the kit).

R.