Line level to headphone conversion

I have an attenuator / load box which has an XLR output (balanced 600 ohm).  I have DI'd that a couple of times when playing live, and it gives a pretty decent tone.  I'm wondering whether, if I convert it to a stereo headphone level signal, it could also be used for home (silent) practice.

To do this, do I need a headphone amp such as the Behringer MA400?  If so, is that a good model, or can anyone recommend another?

Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
JM build | Pedalboard plans
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

Yes, I have an HA400 and it is a super little box for the money. You will need a special lead to go from HA to line out.

XLR, I am guessing 3pole female plug to stereo TRS jack plug and the tip and ring need to be linked of you want sound in both ears. The fly in the emolument is how the XLR is "balanced"? Could be a transformer and in that case pin 3 becomes common (sleeve) and hot is pin 2. Could be fully electronic, two amps in which case pin 1 is common and you just need pin 2 hot. Last variant is "impedance" balanced. Pin 1 common, pin 2 hot.

You might also consider a small mixer such as the Behringer 502 or 802? Can often be found in S/H and charity shops.

Dave.

• Cheers @ecc83 ;
    ecc83 said:

Yes, I have an HA400 and it is a super little box for the money. You will need a special lead to go from HA to line out.

Do you mean from the attenuator XLR out to the HA400 input?

XLR, I am guessing 3pole female plug to stereo TRS jack plug and the tip and ring need to be linked of you want sound in both ears. The fly in the emolument is how the XLR is "balanced"? Could be a transformer and in that case pin 3 becomes common (sleeve) and hot is pin 2. Could be fully electronic, two amps in which case pin 1 is common and you just need pin 2 hot. Last variant is "impedance" balanced. Pin 1 common, pin 2 hot.

I'll check with the manufacturer. It's a Sequis Motherload Elemental, and Rick Cawley has been helpful with queries in the past.

You might also consider a small mixer such as the Behringer 502 or 802? Can often be found in S/H and charity shops.

And in that case, I wouldn't need a special lead, correct? i.e. I could connect the mono attenuator output to a mixer input, and send it to both channels of the headphone output.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    You can connect the XRL out of your loadbox directly to the mic input of the MA400 and it will appear left and right in the phones output  ..... you can also connect an iPod or similar to the monitor input to jam along to tracks 

It's a useful little box

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    You can connect the XRL out of your loadbox directly to the mic input of the MA400 and it will appear left and right in the phones output  ..... you can also connect an iPod or similar to the monitor input to jam along to tracks 

It's a useful little box
    That sounds like exactly what I need, thanks!
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Would one of these work for the DI signal from a darkglass B7K ?  
  • @Danny1969, how is the MA400 in terms of noise?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    It's not a great but fine for practicing.  At this price point your really just getting a couple of low cost opamps in a box. It willr struggle to drive any cans that aren't very sensitive and higher than 30 Ohms or so at any volume without getting harsh but is ok at moderate volumes

www.2020studios.co.uk