Lazy J40 demo with lots of Dirt Pedals.

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    Gassage said:
    Get a Yeti mic and the isolation mount.
    Ray, linky?
    Fuck's sake - you don't need anything fancy. An SM57, on a stand, pointing in the right place, plugged into a half-decent sound card, with the level adjusted correctly. That's all.

Aaaargghhh!
    Plugged into what?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3039
    Gassage said:
    Gassage said:
    Ray, linky?
    Fuck's sake - you don't need anything fancy. An SM57, on a stand, pointing in the right place, plugged into a half-decent sound card, with the level adjusted correctly. That's all.

Aaaargghhh!
    Plugged into what?
    Some sort of computer. I'm assuming you have a computer?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Gassage said:
    Did you turn the last 2 on.....?
    You're still using your iPhone to record, aren't you? Totally pointless.  Compressed to fuck. 

R. 
    no, camera.
    And I'm currently listening to it on my phone speaker pressed against me ear so, you know, s'all relative innit...

can always be done better but nice one for doing it at all James. Some nice sounds there. I liked the pedal tube driver, but rat was also good. 
  • Gassage said:
    Gassage said:
    Ray, linky?

Aaaargghhh!
    Plugged into what?

Kin' luddite.........don't you understand...............plug the mic into yer tweed deluxe ffs............
    Gassage said:
    Gassage said:
    Ray, linky?

Aaaargghhh!
    Plugged into what?
    Some sort of computer. I'm assuming you have a computer?
    FFS yes, but how the fuck can I buy stuff on eBay if it's recording stuff?

Gassage said:
    FFS yes, but how the fuck can I buy stuff on eBay if it's recording stuff?
    Easy.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Perhaps you could post some of your clips/videos @robinbowes to demonstrate to James what you mean?
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    miserneil said:
    Perhaps you could post some of your clips/videos @robinbowes to demonstrate to James what you mean?
    It's a fair point. I have the capability to record, but: a) I have 5 kids in the house at vary stages of going to bed, doing homework, etc., and b) I'm not as well-endowed i
    n the equipment department as @Gassage ;

The only thing I currently have to offer is this short clip demonstrating the 3 modes of my Vibratone cab: 

I must try harder, I know.

Anyway, back to @Gassage - you got a Neve yet?
    Did you buy that off Gary Winterflood?

Gassage said:
    Did you buy that off Gary Winterflood?
    The Vibratone? No, I made it myself*

R.

* someone more talented than me did the woodwork/tolexing. I did the electronics, etc.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    I got a Yeti...I set out to get a mic so I can talk on Skype, could have bought a £20 one but then I am the kind of person who bought a PRS Custom 24 as my first electric guitar so not surprising I end up spending £100 on the mic, £60 for the arm and like £50 for the mount.

The purpose of the arm and mount is the vibration isn't recorded and the beauty of the yeti is it has 3 mic in 1, it can do omnidirectional, directional and also one setting for interviews (front and back).  There is also a mute button and gain knob.  Actually packed full of features for the price. 

• I got a Yeti...I set out to get a mic so I can talk on Skype, could have bought a £20 one but then I am the kind of person who bought a PRS Custom 24 as my first electric guitar so not surprising I end up spending £100 on the mic, £60 for the arm and like £50 for the mount.

The purpose of the arm and mount is the vibration isn't recorded and the beauty of the yeti is it has 3 mic in 1, it can do omnidirectional, directional and also one setting for interviews (front and back).  There is also a mute button and gain knob.  Actually packed full of features for the price. 

Rookie mistake, close mic of the edge of the monitor...........tut tut.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    edited January 2017
    I got a Yeti...I set out to get a mic so I can talk on Skype, could have bought a £20 one but then I am the kind of person who bought a PRS Custom 24 as my first electric guitar so not surprising I end up spending £100 on the mic, £60 for the arm and like £50 for the mount.

Rookie mistake, close mic of the edge of the monitor...........tut tut.
    It's not a CRT screen, and its a perspective aspect, there is like 8 inches space between them.
    GW: What does Dave use in the studio to achieve his sound?
    PT: For amplification he uses a pair of Seventies 50-watt Hiwatt combos, a pair of '59 re-issue Fender Bassmans, and a Maestro Rover revolving speaker. Every once in a while he'll experiment with different guitars, but his primary instrument for the last 10 years has been his red 1984 '57 reissue Fender Stratocaster, which he also uses on the road.
    GW: Is the Strat customized in any way?
    PT: Yes. It's fitted with EMG-SA active single-coil pickups, an EMG-SPC midrange controller and an EMG-EXG expander which boosts treble and bass. Additionally, the guitar features a cut-down tremolo arm.
    GW: What about microphones?
    PT: It varies, but primarily Neumann U-87's and Shure SM-57's. We've also used a Neumann KM-86 on his rotating speaker.

Just sayin'
    edited January 2017
    GW: What does Dave use in the studio to achieve his sound?
    PT: For amplification he uses a pair of Seventies 50-watt Hiwatt combos, a pair of '59 re-issue Fender Bassmans, and a Maestro Rover revolving speaker. Every once in a while he'll experiment with different guitars, but his primary instrument for the last 10 years has been his red 1984 '57 reissue Fender Stratocaster, which he also uses on the road.
    GW: Is the Strat customized in any way?
    PT: Yes. It's fitted with EMG-SA active single-coil pickups, an EMG-SPC midrange controller and an EMG-EXG expander which boosts treble and bass. Additionally, the guitar features a cut-down tremolo arm.
    GW: What about microphones?
    PT: It varies, but primarily Neumann U-87's and Shure SM-57's. We've also used a Neumann KM-86 on his rotating speaker.

Just sayin'
    GW: And does Dave do all this by himself in the brief periods of time he has free between working and cocking about with all other aspects of this life?
    PT: No, you lemon. He has engineers to place mics, set levels, sync audio to video if needed and do the hundred and one other things that you have to do if you're not just pointing your phone camera and pressing record. Otherwise he'd never bloody do it 'cos it's too much of an arse ache.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So, are you suggesting that @Gassage has time to set up all his rig, record videos on his camera, process/edit them, upload them, and endlessly comment on various forums/social media outlets, yet he doesn't have time to figure out how to plug in a mic?
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    So, are you suggesting that @Gassage has time to set up all his rig, record videos on his camera, process/edit them, upload them, and endlessly comment on various forums/social media outlets, yet he doesn't have time to figure out how to plug in a mic?
    Nope, I'm saying that introducing a mic etc introduces a level of arse ache that - for many of us - makes the difference between I'll record this 'cos I'm just pressing a button on my phone vs I'll just get the mic setup, check levels, open up the daw - y'know what f**k that Strictly's just starting...

Same reason that the orders of magnitude more photos are taken these days. Not because people want to take worse photos by using their phone but because it's easy. 

I have plenty of nice mics, an audio interface, logic and all sort of other toys, but most of my song ideas are on my iphone...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    kjdowd said:
    I have plenty of nice mics, an audio interface, logic and all sort of other toys, but most of my song ideas are on my iphone...
    "song ideas" is one thing. "Hey guys, listen to how several high-end effects sound through a high-end rig" is quite another.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017
    kjdowd said:
    "song ideas" is one thing. "Hey guys, listen to how several high-end effects sound through a high-end rig" is quite another.
    You're missing my point. I honestly think that it's the difference between doing something and not (for most people anyway) and I'd rather listen to something lo-fi than nothing. 

It reminds me a bit of my father in law. He absolutely must do everything properly - the best it can be - so he never does anything. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    kjdowd said:
    kjdowd said:
    You're missing my point. I honestly think that it's the difference between doing something and not (for most people anyway) and I'd rather listen to something lo-fi than nothing. 

It reminds me a bit of my father in law. He absolutely must do everything properly - the best it can be - so he never does anything. 
    kjdowd said:
    kjdowd said:

I can relate...but I go over the top far too often.  I'm actually surprised I didn't end up with a grand piano when I took piano lessons.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom